Buying A New Car?

SoiSong

The red plate is a temporary issued by the dealer for your use until the real plate is ready, perhaps around 1 or 2 months

Jim

Can we get the rest of the question answered...Also, what about any special restrictions on going about with the "red Plate" I've heard a fews like no night driving and no out of province driving!

The red plate is a temporary issued by the dealer for your use until the real plate is ready, perhaps around 1 or 2 months

Jim

Can we get the rest of the question answered...Also, what about any special restrictions on going about with the "red Plate" I've heard a fews like no night driving and no out of province driving!

You are not meant to leave the province the car is registered in while on red plates and you are not meant to drive before sunrise (6am) or after sunset (6pm).

Don't worry, just tell the dealer you want the red plates off asap and bug them from the moment you take possession of the vehicle about it. I managed to get them changed within two weeks if I remember correctly.

Seems this is not inline with ExPat motors info..........I have heard the above is true and correct!

It's totally impractical this driving after dark rule, which was done away with a couple of years ago. Who is going to leave their car at home, or even at the side of the raod as it's just gone 6pm and take the bus or a taxi home?

Unfortunately the police still use is occasionally to extort money out of people, worst case is it will cost you 100-200 Baht.