Septic Venting

pumpuiman

Just received some photo's of the new house being built in Isaan.

This house is being constructed under the supervision of my father in law, as we cannot be there unfortunately due to a medical problem.

I am very happy with the work so far

While looking over the pics, I noticed that the "vent pipe" shown in the plan was not installed.

My wife just got off the phone with the contractor and he offered this explanation.

He said that he felt that the vent pipe would be ugly on the outside of the house (I agree, but.....) and he felt that any odors would be vented away by means of the sewerage pipe to the street from the septic.

He said it is a popular way of doing this.

He offered to put in the vent pipe if I prefer, but thought it would not look very nice.

post-36548-1172566854_thumb.jpg

The pipe will run up the wall just to the right of the wheelbarrow (under which lies the septic) in this pic, and stop just below the roof....about 2 and a half meters.

It will be painted the same color as the house.

What do you think? Should I believe that I will not have odor problems? Should I install the pipe?

There is a cover over the tank (not pictured) that looks like it has some ventilation holes on it.....my wife says that he told her that these can be shut.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by pumpuiman

Just received some photo's of the new house being built in Isaan.

This house is being constructed under the supervision of my father in law, as we cannot be there unfortunately due to a medical problem.

I am very happy with the work so far

While looking over the pics, I noticed that the "vent pipe" shown in the plan was not installed.

My wife just got off the phone with the contractor and he offered this explanation.

He said that he felt that the vent pipe would be ugly on the outside of the house (I agree, but.....) and he felt that any odors would be vented away by means of the sewerage pipe to the street from the septic.

He said it is a popular way of doing this.

He offered to put in the vent pipe if I prefer, but thought it would not look very nice.

post-36548-1172566854_thumb.jpg

The pipe will run up the wall just to the right of the wheelbarrow (under which lies the septic) in this pic, and stop just below the roof....about 2 and a half meters.

It will be painted the same color as the house.

What do you think? Should I believe that I will not have odor problems? Should I install the pipe?

There is a cover over the tank (not pictured) that looks like it has some ventilation holes on it.....my wife says that he told her that these can be shut.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

I'd suggest putting in the vent pipe. Although it is not common here, I've lived in several houses that had the odour problem and venting has fixed it. If you are not sure what to do, just have the contractor put the vent to above ground level with a Tee on the top for protection as this will be minimal cost and provide some venting. If it is a problem later, you have a place to connect to run the vent higher if needed.

I'd suggest putting in the vent pipe. Although it is not common here, I've lived in several houses that had the odour problem and venting has fixed it. If you are not sure what to do, just have the contractor put the vent to above ground level with a Tee on the top for protection as this will be minimal cost and provide some venting. If it is a problem later, you have a place to connect to run the vent higher if needed.

The houses in which you lived with the odor problem.....did they have the cover with " vent holes" over the septic?

Edited by pumpuiman

you need to intstall a vent unless your fixtures are installed with vents through the roof] for proper drainage. the vent needs to go thru and above the roof, these gasses are flamable.

The house plan called for the vent to be 2 meters up the wall. I have seen the ones in the U.S. go through the roof.

As the roof construction is already finished....will I have a problem with the vent stopping below the roof, but 2 and a half meters high?

you need to intstall a vent unless your fixtures are installed with vents through the roof] for proper drainage. the vent needs to go thru and above the roof, these gasses are flamable.

The house plan called for the vent to be 2 meters up the wall. I have seen the ones in the U.S. go through the roof.

As the roof construction is already finished....will I have a problem with the vent stopping below the roof, but 2 and a half meters high?

You can extend it later if you have any problem. It will probably only be PVC pipe so easily done.

As has been suggested, install a vent pipe and extend it to above the roof of the house.

Make sure that you fit a bug screen over the end of the vent to prevent bees nesting, this happened to us with the result that the septic tank became pressurised and odorous oders seeped into the house poo!

Edit.. Nice looking house by the way.

Edited by GuestHouse

sorry to go off topic...the house looks fab

What do you think it's cost without the land (just ball park figure)

How many rooms in total

Re vent, always install good venting as methane/poison etc build up is deadly & explosive.

For some reason many Thai builders don't use water traps also?

Edited by terryp

With no vent pipe, you could get compression in the outlet and find that the nasties don't flush away, similar to a blockage. A common problem in Thailand.

Vent pipe should terminate above roof level so you are not bothered by odours

You should have a vent stack on the soil pipe from the loo (it normally goes out through the roof), you don't need a tank vent as its function is performed by the stack.

If you don't have either a stack or a tank vent your sinks will gurgle and may empty their traps when the loo is flushed allowing nasty pongs into the room. Have a look here http://people.howstuffworks.com/sewer2.htm

To stop short of cutting a hole in your most excellent roof I would run it up the outside wall and an L to run it under the overhang to the back of the house just past the edge of the back overhang - try to keep the terminal point away from any windows.

You need the vent pipe and I would suggest that it vented above the roof eve level.

The place you indicated will blow bad smells into the bedrooms, in certain wind conditions.

I have experienced this in properties I have rented. :o