Pet Violation

New to being a landlord. My wife and I just purchased three duplexes in the state of Missouri for investments. All units were occupied when purchased with leases.

Upon taking possession, one renter, who had only been there one month under old management, decided that she could not live without her dog. It specifically states 'No Pets' in lease. What are my first steps? What type of documentation should I give these tenants to make life easier down the road? And were online can I get a copy? Someone mentioned that I need to serve them a "Notice to Perform", is this correct? Thx for helping.

I used to be a landlord in the US and the way I handled pets was to allow them but require a US$500 damage deposit with monthly inspections for pet damage at my convenience (24 hour notice) and an additional rent of US$250 per month. I know this seems ridiculous but it made them think twice about sneaking in pets knowing that they were making themselves liable for extra rent. If a tenant thinks they can sneak in a pet and they don't know the consequences they will often try....if they sign a document which tells them the consequences that they are agreeing to it is a much better deterant....in my opinion. I NEVER had a problem with a tenant sneaking in a pet....and no one ever asked about getting one.

I know this doesn't help with your immediate situation...sorry I can't help with that....but this might help in the future.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

People and their pet phobias>>>>>>>>> :o

Many years ago I had an upscale home near the beach in SoCal. I took a contract in South America, and leased it for 2 years. I came home after a year and wanted to move back in my home. My tenants, wanted to buy the home, and really did not want to move.

I had to get an apartment, again in a very upscale beach area. Naturally the apartment wanted a years lease. After moving in, the tenants decided they had found their dream home, and asked me about moving early.

I tried to talk to the apartment management, and they refused to allow me to break my lease (even though there was a waiting list to rent). Jerks.

So off to the dog pound I went and found a 90# black lab. Move him in with me. Took him swimming in the swimming pool, hit ball for him on the tennis courts. Drove the management crazy....they threated to EVICT me if I did not get rid of the dog....

Well in the end we all got what we wanted...I got evicted, my tenants got their new home, and me and my new friend got to move into my beach house.

My feeling, I don't care what my tenants have as long as they are responsible for any damages caused by kids, pets, livestock, and Friday night drunken brawls....

Edited by old wanderer

New to being a landlord. My wife and I just purchased three duplexes in the state of Missouri for investments. All units were occupied when purchased with leases.

Upon taking possession, one renter, who had only been there one month under old management, decided that she could not live without her dog. It specifically states 'No Pets' in lease. What are my first steps? What type of documentation should I give these tenants to make life easier down the road? And were online can I get a copy? Someone mentioned that I need to serve them a "Notice to Perform", is this correct? Thx for helping.

Lanlor him be bad man, I am think him win be angreey for der moneey.

For der dog, Thai peopun we hab 3 type of dog. Mah Thai. Mah ju. And Mah alsaichian. haha. Dit ol Thai joke u know?

I tink if der dog him wan to sa-tay in der condo, how him can cook for himself? Mah farang not smart. Mah farang like fast food same same big American in nid noi city. Him cannot make fly ride or pud kapow himself chai mai? Poor doggy, him better to lib in street same same dog here.

My friend him tell me he hab mah with no nose.

I ark him, how dog can smell?

Him say velly bad.

But if you want der copey of der leaat, I can help. I my fren, him lawyer you dai krub. Him name I forgot, but him work for big law ferm call Baker McKenzie or maybe dat Baker McDonal or maybe chef McDonald. Me I am forget. Him velly expensib, but I tink him can help you for der moneey.

I fink you am to gib der dog some letter not make sen. Dog him cannot read it. Better to gib him biscuit. Dog him like der biscuit.

Edited by steveromagnino