New Outbreak Of Bird Flu In Northern Thailand

george

New outbreak of bird flu in northern Thailand, official says

BANGKOK: -- A new outbreak of bird flu has killed hundreds of chickens at a research farm in northern Thailand, an official said Wednesday, in a re-emergence of the disease that had appeared to be on the wane.

Agriculture Ministry officials have culled 1,575 chickens at the Chiang Mai University farm in Chiang Mai province after being informed about the outbreak by the university, said Yukol Limlamthong, director general of the Livestock Department. The farm, which is in an isolated area, has been quarantined.

It contained various other avian species, including water fowl, but no symptoms or deaths were recorded among them, Yukol said.

Thai officials said May 14 that the government was all but certain the country was free of bird flu, after the last area to suffer an outbreak was declared safe at the end of a 21-day monitoring period.

However, the latest infection in Chiang Mai is believed to have started on May 22 when about 473 chickens died of bird flu-like symptoms, Yuokol said.

The avian influenza virus swept through 10 Asian nations earlier this year, killing or forcing the cull of more than 100 million poultry, including more than 37 million birds in Thailand.

The disease also jumped to people, killing 16 in Vietnam and eight in Thailand.

Vietnam said it was bird flu free at the end of March, though the World Health Organization warned that it was premature to declare the disease under control. Thailand was also about to declare itself free of bird flu, but held off after the WHO warning.

--AP 2004-05-26

New outbreak of bird flu in northern Thailand, official says

The disease also jumped to people, killing 16 in Vietnam and eight in Thailand.

Wow, almost everyone in Vietnam is gone and that leaves only 6 or 7 people in Thailand.

People need to understand something very simple. Eat well, get enough sleep, do not drink to excess and have a strong immune system.

SARS has a 10% death rate. Old weak sick and those who are in teh medical field workingt 15 and 18 hour days were the people who died. That was 95% of the deaths.

Lets keep in mind Chicken Little.

And when will the major players get hit.. The Ag Minister is a JOKE.  KFC and the rest, may play a role in the under the dirt campaign...  More COCK Fights..comming... :o

KFC has said they do not get their meat from here if I remember right.

--admin snip--

Edited by george

Researchers cause new Thai bird flu case -minister

BANGKOK: -- Researchers caused a fresh case of bird flu in northern Thailand and it had no effect on commercial poultry, Deputy Agriculture Minister Newin Chidchop said on Thursday.

"It happened during a test at a research farm of Chiang Mai University and was not an outbreak," he told reporters. "I can confirm that no chickens in commercial farms have died of the bird flu since May 13."

Almost 500 chickens, geese, ducks and ostriches at the farm died on May 19 and the remaining 2,700 birds were slaughtered on May 20, the ministry's Livestock Department said in a statement.

Chiang Mai zoo, about three km (1.9 miles) from the research farm, closed its bird section to the public to prevent the spread of disease, a zoo official said.

Thailand's last outbreak of the H5N1 virus among chickens was reported on April 19. Countries can claim to be free of avian flu six months after an outbreak.

Bird flu killed millions of chickens across Asia and devastated poultry industries in several countries, including Thailand, earlier this year. It also killed 24 people, 16 in Vietnam and eight in Thailand.

--Reuters 2004-05-27

And when will the major players get hit.. The Ag Minister is a JOKE.  KFC and the rest, may play a role in the under the dirt campaign...  More COCK Fights..comming... :o

KFC has said they do not get their meat from here if I remember right.

--admin snip--

I never saw KFC say that. What they said was that they cooked their chicken for 14 minutes at 175 degrees.

ASIC

Riding my motorcycle will kill me long before fried chicken does, unless I eat fried chicken while I am riding :o and my greasy hand slips from the brake handle... I wonder if the 20 piece bucket fits in the front basket? I can always order chicken in the basket! :D

My wife read from a Thai newspaper yesterday two different accounts of this outbreak. One was the flu originated from testing while the other claimed the flu came about when the birds were moved and subjected to the cold and damp.

I absolutely refuse to say anything about an impending visit by the PM to promise millions of baht in rain and cold weather relief. :o