Is alcoholism and related brain dysfunction medical justification

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

Is alcoholism and related brain dysfunction medical justification to excuse or justify overstay?

Nope, because it is possible for a 90-day medical extension to be obtained before an overstay situation is reached, subject to the provision of a suitable doctor's note.

That said, whether any doctor would, in practice, be prepared to issue any such note in the case of either of the 2 conditions which you have specified strikes me as highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, atyclb said:

i have known alcoholics and horrendous true stories they recounted about lost years without much recollection of much at all.

i don't drink and never went to bars before Thailand, but that is where the girls are so just drink soda water. I got to see some real expat train wrecks around Hua Hin. I too wonder how they function with doing any thing. Remembering to do 90 day reporting? Medical? Banking?   

• Like 1

As NCC1701A already mentioned ....  I also witnessed alot of expats on Sukhumvit over the last 20 years, sitting at the bar at 10.30am and still their at 7.00pm day in day out, drunk 24/7,  Golden bar, Beer Garden, Queens park plaza, Soi 22, seen many wrecks, many passed away, Cirrhosis of the liver. They spend most of their life sitting on a bar stool.  It is sad in some ways ....

Edited by steven100

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i don't drink and never went to bars before Thailand, but that is where the girls are so just drink soda water. I got to see some real expat train wrecks around Hua Hin. I too wonder how they function with doing any thing. Remembering to do 90 day reporting? Medical? Banking?   

Are you kidding? google functioning alcoholic. I was able to do it at the highest level and had a successful public speaking/marketing company. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

You seem to personally know a lot of alcoholics and their medical situation.

There are certain things that happen to alcoholics, destroying your liver is one of them. No need to be a Dr to know that. Alcoholics are doing damage to their body no doubt about that. 

I don't understand why anyone would deny that an alcoholic is a high risk factor. We are not talking about normal drinkers. 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Are you kidding? google functioning alcoholic. I was able to do it at the highest level and had a successful public speaking/marketing company. 

I was able to function while having drug parties (raves) in the weekend when I was young. Does not mean its healthy or that I was functioning as good as I would have without the drugs. 

I did it for about half a year to a year and stopped. I did my work functioned no problems but I could have done more without it. Its a choice.

• Sad 1

Alcoholism is not regarded as an explanation or an excuse by Thais and historically was not viewed with any understanding or sympathy, but there is some change there maybe. Don't mention it. It is an excluding factor for the issuance of a work permit for example.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1