Foreign Spouse Passport Copy at Land Office.

I've been to the local land office in the past with my wife when she's bought areas of land. Previously, all I've needed to do was, for purchases, to sign a paper saying I had no claim on the land - no problem. Until very recently, she's not sold anything for the 10 years I've been on the scene.

When she sold a plot a couple of months ago, it was different. They wanted a copy of my passport and last entry stamp (and view of the original), copy of marriage certificate plus another paper to sign, despite the transaction being nothing to do with me - I'm not, in any way, party to the ownership of the land (and NO, I didn't give her a gift of money to buy). 

Today, she was taking a chanote as security for a loan to a family member. Copies of the same papers were wanted by the land office.

I was told these documents are requested because of a new regulation.

Is this a common request by the land office? Is it something new? Are documents and signatures required from Thai spouses who have no claim on their partner's land (e.g. land owned before marriage) or is it just foreigners? Any insight at all?

It occurred to me that, if I were to be out of the country when she wanted to buy or sell, perhaps working away for 6+ months (won't ever happen), she'd be prevented from doing so because my passport wouldn't be available. Could cause problems for those Thai women with foreign spouses who deal land for a living.

59 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

So, to prevent any hassle don't join your wife to the Land Office in case of a transaction.

Sounds simple, doesn't it. But first time they wanted the papers, when she sold a plot, I was up to elbows in motorcycle maintenance when she phoned, asking me to bring them. I wasn't there with her but, of course, her ID card had her foreign name on it although the chanote paper didn't.

• Like 1