Pattaya Immigration: Soi 5 Jomtien: A Warning!

libya 115

Gee, where did I criticize or 'go at' anyone? All I did was state facts and ask a question, but I do appreciate your response.

Peter

I originally had a married-to-Thai visa issued in Bangkok. Years later I reapplied in Pattaya. That necessitated starting again from scratch - in essence canceling the original visa. Therefore switching offices was not something to be done casually. Does anyone know if that is still the case on these non-immigrant visas?

Peter

I'm by no means an expert on this, and been wrong footed many times myself. However, if I understand you correctly, then what transpired is no surprise to me, and I don't see how you can criticise Pattaya immigration in this instance.

I assume you are not talking about the transfer of current visas from an old to a new passport (which is what this thread is about).

You are talking about re-applying for a marriage visa, when the existing one expired.

Well first and foremost they are not 'visas' as such, but permission to extend your stay in Thailand for a further 12 months. This has to be done every year, and every year there is a fresh consideration of your status - be it married to a Thai, retirement or whatever. Obviously if you reapplied in Bangkok, they would have your file to hand, and the extension for another year should be a formality, provide you still fulfilled their conditions - including any modifications thereof.

Now, if you decide to go to another immigration office, it is hardly surprising that they would wish to start from scratch. After all they don't have your previous case history, and my understanding on marriage extensions is that provincial immigration officers are required to carry out standard checks on applicants, and then pass the file to Bangkok for final approval. OK I suppose they could have requested your file from Bangkok, and checked the details - but I think that is expecting a bit too much, and in any event, as you are now applying at a different location, how are they to know that your circumstances - vis a vis your marriage - haven't changed in some way?

Retirement visas are not referred to Bangkok and can be approved on the spot by any office. But that doesn't alter the fact that each year is a new consideration, and the fact that you may have been stamped up for several years at that office or any other office has no bearing on their decision on whether to let you stay for another year.

By all means have a go at immigration when justified - but in this instance, I think not.

Gee, where did I criticize or 'go at' anyone? All I did was state facts and ask a question, but I do appreciate your response.

Peter

My apologies. :o

The general tone of this thread was to criticise our friends in Soi 5, and I erroneously concluded that you were jumping on that band wagon.

Put it down to my age. :D

You're welcome for the information :D

Mobi