Received My Thai Driver's License!

Just returned from the Mo Chit Department of Transportation (DOT) and I now have shiny new Thai car and motorcycle driving licenses.

But it took me two trips…

On Monday, May 24; my Thai girlfriend and I went to Mo Chit DOT, directly opposite Jattujak and a short walk from the Mo Chit BTS station. We walked on to Building #4, second floor and got the driving license application form (all in Thai) and received our number for the queue.

After filling out the form and presenting it to the unsmiling lady at window #6, she refused my application because I had no “Present Residential Address Certificate from Embassy.” That was correct; I had the Form TM30 that I down loaded from the Nong Khai Thai Immigration site. It was duly stamped and completed in Thai by my apartment manager.

No dice. She wouldn’t budge. For the record, my gf is a proper Thai lady, educated and polite. I was dressed properly as well and took extra pains to hide my disappointment and be polite, but she stonewalled us. TIT!

Soooooo, on Tuesday, May 25; I made a trip to one of my favorite spots in Bangkok, the US Embassy on Wireless Road. I received and completed the “Residential Form”; paid THB 1,200; then had a consular office “attest” to my information and was on my way. Good money for the Embassy. How they can justify THB 1,200 for a one page form makes no sense to me, but they probably justify it to “overheads” and “contributions” to various government programs. I just hope part of it went to a retirement fund for former bar girls…

Anyway. Back to Mochit DOT (alone this time) and re-presented my documents. Now she wants a photocopy of my visa re-entry stamp and the back side of my US Driver’s license. OK, no elproblemo, one nice thing about DOT, the copies are reasonably priced at THB 1 per copy. Get the copies and back to the window. OK, now I’m directed to the second floor for the color test. I could even identify the colors in my poor Thai and I receive some smiles. Then my application is promptly stamped and I’m directed back to the second floor, window 6.

This time I get a very nice lady who process my application and presents me with a car license. I smile and ask about a motorcycle license, but she initially refuses (Man I don’t want to fork over another THB 1,200 to the US Government again!) This lady is very helpful and she finally agrees to let me copy everything except the application and take another eye color test. I comply, return to her window and receive my motorcycle license.

Both licenses are for one year.

I wonder if anyone has had success with using the TM30, thereby avoiding a costly trip to one’s embassy? Anyone have better luck at another DOT office?

In fairness to Mochit DOT, they do post the “Embassy Residence Certificate” as one of their five requirements. Those requirements are:

1) Passport with Non-Immigrant visa

2) Present Residential Address Certificate

3)Medical Certificate

4)Two one inch photos

5)International or “local” (National?) drivers license.

Sorry for the long post!

I wonder if anyone has had success with using the TM30, thereby avoiding a costly trip to one’s embassy?  Anyone have better luck at another DOT office?

No idea what a TM30 form is. To obtain my Thai drivers licences, I used a certificate of residency that was procured for very low cost from the local Thai Immigrations office rather than the same type of expensive paperwork from an embassy/consulate. My landlord was never involved in the process so I doubt this is the same form as that to which you refer.

Kevin, the TM 30 form is something I downloaded from the Nong Khai Immigration site.

So you went directly to Thai Immigration and received the Residence Form?

Astral, wish I was smart like you...

The address confirmation letter is always issued free of charge at your nearest Immigration office. You need to have your landlord/house owner with you and guarantee that you live at that address though.

I got my car and motorbike licences from Soi 36, the new department covering Pattaya, situated miles away and difficult to find.

I had to take a written test, even though I had a valid UK licence. This I failed, getting 13 0f the twenty questions right, the minimum is 15. The girl returned my paper asking how much I would pay her to make it easy. 500b later, my paper came back with the answers underlined in pencil. The questions are very ambiguous, not straight forward to say the least. ( how many Thais can you get in the back of a pickup?)

The motorbike test involved riding around a mock curcuit, giving the correct hand signals, while being observed by a not too interested examiner. I now have two licences for one year. I think the next last for 3 years and then for life.

I was not asked for anything from the Embassy at all. Just the letter from Immigration confirming address.

Took all documents to Udon dept, and presented UK Driving licence (car) They had never seen a UK licence before, and NO ONE could read English, so they gave up and gave me a Thai Licence.

I made a casual enquiry about Motor-Bike Licence (which I have never had) and they said, "Oh no problem. If you can drive a car you can ride a motor-bike"....hahahaha. Got both licences and came away laughing!

The address confirmation letter is always issued free of charge at your nearest Immigration office. You need to have your landlord/house owner with you and guarantee that you live at that address though.

George, good info.

Might be difficult to get my apartment manager to go, but maybe if I bribe her with Som Tom....... Thanks!

I had the whole rigmarole nearly 2 years ago at Sukhumvit 62 to get my licence, but I renewed it last year easily.

I went with my wife yesterday and was told that I was 2 months early (I cant read Thai and forgot to ask the wife) and the lady said come back at the right time and you then get a 5 year licence.

The cost was about 120 Baht I think.

If yoy go with a friend or wife etc whoo can speak Thai and English it is easy there, provided you live at that end of the city.

The first time I went to Mor Chit and they sent my to Sukhumvit near 62 as I live at Sukhumvit 93.

Moral always ask first.

got my 5 year licenses last week.

Dave, you received your five year licenses after your original one year licenses? I asked about a five year license, but no deal.

after you have had thai driving licenses for 2 years, when you apply :o before the end of the second year you can get 5 years.

OK, I've got the form from the embassy stating address will have the health certificate soon have copies of passport and non o stuff but what do I do about the license bit? My Hawaii license is expired. Can I take the written test and then do a diving test or what? I do want to get both behicle and motorcycle licenses. Thanks for any help.

got my 5 year licenses last week.

Dave, you received your five year licenses after your original one year licenses? I asked about a five year license, but no deal.

after you have had thai driving licenses for 2 years, when you apply :o before the end of the second year you can get 5 years.

Not correct. You don't have to wait two years.

You can get your 5 year license renewal if you go one year + 1 day after your first license was issued. I was applying for renewal prior to my first anniversary date (within a week or two). I just did it last year (Suk 62) and the gal told me if I came back after 1 yr and 1 day I could get a five year license otherwise would have to get only a one year renewal. Apparently the law says you have to have a license for one full year before you can get a five year license.

Cost was 530 baht I think for five years. BTW, the license is very useful as proof of residency to get Thai level prices at some places (most hotels offering lower Thai-only prices, admission to National parks, etc).

BTW, the license is very useful as proof of residency to get Thai level prices at some places (most hotels offering lower Thai-only prices, admission to National parks, etc).

Is that the one year license or the five year license that gets you into National Parks at the Thai price?

Is that the one year license or the five year license that gets you into National Parks at the Thai price?

Either one or five year. I just flash the card and tell them I have one. Big smile and cheaper rate (except not at Grand Palace).

So what do I do if I have all the other paperwork but my Hawaii state license is expired? Can I still get a Thai License? Appreciate any help. Also I'm in Bang Bua Thong, what's the closest office for me to go to do this?

Just returned from the Mo Chit Department of Transportation (DOT) and I now have shiny new Thai car and motorcycle driving licenses.

But it took me two trips…

On Monday, May 24; my Thai girlfriend and I went to Mo Chit DOT, directly opposite Jattujak and a short walk from the Mo Chit BTS station. We walked on to Building #4, second floor and got the driving license application form (all in Thai) and received our number for the queue.

After filling out the form and presenting it to the unsmiling lady at window #6, she refused my application because I had no “Present Residential Address Certificate from Embassy.” That was correct; I had the Form TM30 that I down loaded from the Nong Khai Thai Immigration site. It was duly stamped and completed in Thai by my apartment manager.

No dice. She wouldn’t budge. For the record, my gf is a proper Thai lady, educated and polite. I was dressed properly as well and took extra pains to hide my disappointment and be polite, but she stonewalled us. TIT!

Soooooo, on Tuesday, May 25; I made a trip to one of my favorite spots in Bangkok, the US Embassy on Wireless Road. I received and completed the “Residential Form”; paid THB 1,200; then had a consular office “attest” to my information and was on my way. Good money for the Embassy. How they can justify THB 1,200 for a one page form makes no sense to me, but they probably justify it to “overheads” and “contributions” to various government programs. I just hope part of it went to a retirement fund for former bar girls…

Anyway. Back to Mochit DOT (alone this time) and re-presented my documents. Now she wants a photocopy of my visa re-entry stamp and the back side of my US Driver’s license. OK, no elproblemo, one nice thing about DOT, the copies are reasonably priced at THB 1 per copy. Get the copies and back to the window. OK, now I’m directed to the second floor for the color test. I could even identify the colors in my poor Thai and I receive some smiles. Then my application is promptly stamped and I’m directed back to the second floor, window 6.

This time I get a very nice lady who process my application and presents me with a car license. I smile and ask about a motorcycle license, but she initially refuses (Man I don’t want to fork over another THB 1,200 to the US Government again!) This lady is very helpful and she finally agrees to let me copy everything except the application and take another eye color test. I comply, return to her window and receive my motorcycle license.

Both licenses are for one year.

I wonder if anyone has had success with using the TM30, thereby avoiding a costly trip to one’s embassy? Anyone have better luck at another DOT office?

In fairness to Mochit DOT, they do post the “Embassy Residence Certificate” as one of their five requirements. Those requirements are:

1) Passport with Non-Immigrant visa

2) Present Residential Address Certificate

3)Medical Certificate

4)Two one inch photos

5)International or “local” (National?) drivers license.

Sorry for the long post!

About three weeks ago I went through the same procedure: however I did have the notorized Embassy 'thingy' and I had made photo copies (beforehand)...so the whole thing took less than an hour at the driver's license office.

The wait in the Embassy was about 15 minutes. ($30).

The doctor's visit was about the same (@200 baht).

I don't think you can 'get around' the Embassy address thing.

So what do I do if I have all the other paperwork but my Hawaii state license is expired? Can I still get a Thai License?

Provided your paperwork is in order, you can still obtain your Thai licenses. The only question is whether or not they make you take a written and/or driving test because your Hawaiian license is expired. I'm sure there is a defined policy in that regard but it sounds like a classic issue where you could ask two motor vehicle clerks and receive two different answers.

BTW, the license is very useful as proof of residency to get Thai level prices at some places (most hotels offering lower Thai-only prices, admission to National parks, etc).

Neither in my experience!!

How dare people say Thais arnt smart. It takes an American doctor one hour to give me a physical. A Thai doctor gave me a physical for my drivers medical cert. and it only took him 3 seconds!

The phrase "warm and walking springs to mind here" mind you he did give me a blood pessure test probably to see if I was still warm and walking.