Gov Gets Tough On Bars, Violence And Encroachment

george

Maybe they should create a "party zone" in Thailand, but please let it be away from where local people live, who mostly work 12-14 hours per day and need their rest.

Absolutely. I have been recommending this for months for Pattaya and Jomthien. Build a walled town out in the boonies and send all the working girls, karaoke, bars that want to stay open all night, go-go bars, short time rooms, there to party and fornicate all they want. The green line, yellow line, red line buses can be used to go there and make a profit at last. It will be easy to police being a walled town and when the buses with the revellers return to Pattaya and Jomthien, police will be there to greet them and ensure orderly behaviour or spend the night in the clink. Simple!

Perhaps one of the most absurd things mentioned thus far. :D

Hello Brit! Thought you were going to ignore me. :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - entertainment venues are lifeblood to resort areas. One has to wonder when the powers that be, will get it through their thick skulls.

thailand has to be one of the only places in the world where people come and cant get a drink after 1am legaley (sic) they will stop :o coming like they have almost in samui

Every few weeks the resident gurus predict that the tourists will stop coming and that the economy is in dire straits.

Apparently the tourists never seem to subscribe to these views. Coups, tsunamis, bombs...and the tourists keep coming in record numbers.

The baht continues to strengthen. Analysts appearing on Bloomberg continue to suggest that Thailand offers great investment opportunities. Major corporations contemplate opening billion dollar industrial operations.

I can easily see why some of Thai Visa message board's most vocal commentators want alcohol available 24 hours a day...and it has nothing to do with helping the tourism industry.

Watch Pattaya People Channel on TV for a few days. The continuing parade of drunken farang misfits getting into brawls, jumping from condo & hotel balconies or being mugged because of their drunken state of vulnerability is just amazing. Who needs that? If all the tourists who absolutely need to drink between 1:00 am and 6:00 am never came to Thailand, it would be no loss.

I totally agree with you, Kao Jai.

I think they should have a place for Slobbering drunks, but lets not let it be Thailand, please. Pick a place in your own country guys and leave us in peace. I'm sure Thai people are getting tired of being the dumping point of American and European misfits (just to name a couple). We have enough Thai drunks here to carry the breweries and distilleries. We don't need foreigners to come over here and act like idiots. There are enough idiots here already.

I know people (mostly young people) need a place to let of steam, but let them do it in their own country. Don't pollute beautiful Thailand with your attitudes and behaviors.

We have Raves and such in Canada, where people can party their faces off, stay up for days at a time and do all kinds of other stuff, which is great, for people who want to do it. They are usually held in remote areas, which has practically no negative impact on the community.

Maybe they should create a "party zone" in Thailand, but please let it be away from where local people live, who mostly work 12-14 hours per day and need their rest.

I see it up here in Chiang Dao already, when some idiot opens an outdoor bar or Karaoke place and nobody in the neighborhood gets a good night sleep anymore. My neighbors get up at 5am to go work in the fields (mostly farmers around here) and work until sunset. They don't need crap like that.

When you stay up all night and party every night in a neighborhood where people live and sleep, you are asking for problems, because people will complain and when they finally had enough of local corruption keeping the doors open, they will go above their heads and bring in someone from Bangkok to close them down.

The wheels of justice might grind slower here in Thailand, but eventually one will get crushed by them.

Totally agree. I have been coming to this country frequently, for over 20 years and I have seen some disgraceful changes. No I am not talking 'the good ol days', I expect things to change...it is the only constant. Now I live here and have done so for two years, but now I dont like going to the tourist areas because I feel ashamed to be a farang. I have seen the same thing happen in Bali and was ashamed there.

And yes, maybe we should be getting our priorities right, thinking about the violence and the encroachment, but are they not intricately connected?

When I first came here there was ganja everywhere, and a bit of opium. But the result was a few very relaxed smiling faces ( and some nodding). The farang brought the 'fast' drugs and their money, and the locals want to be like the oh so lucky farang. The fast drugs bring the violence and Taksin put the prices up so they had to turn to crime to support their habits. The straight locals want the farang money too, and destroy the environment in building what they think the farang want.

Yes quality not quantity, I personally think the authorities have the right idea, not exact, but on the right track.

And Virgil, your so right, you should stay 'out'. What a statement!

Quite agree it is time for quality not quantity. Although back to your comment on Bali, Nusa Dua has benefited from the quality folk rather than the riff raff type

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Muslim fundamentalists will keep chipping away at the freedom of the Thai people until, one day, your avarage Thai will awake to the 5:00am call to prayer.

When will the Thai people stand up for themselves?

Virgil, Out!

Let me guess......... An American, a republican and a person who knows little about Thailand.

just a guess mind! :o

Do you really think the Thais (non Muslim) will let Muslims take over the country?

I have found most Thai (non Muslim) do not have much regard for Muslims in the first place.

I think less than 10% of the country is a Muslim, so please explain your post as it is virging on the ridiculous Virgil.

Absolutely. I have been recommending this for months for Pattaya and Jomthien. Build a walled town out in the boonies and send all the working girls, karaoke, bars that want to stay open all night, go-go bars, short time rooms, there to party and fornicate all they want. The green line, yellow line, red line buses can be used to go there and make a profit at last. It will be easy to police being a walled town and when the buses with the revellers return to Pattaya and Jomthien, police will be there to greet them and ensure orderly behaviour or spend the night in the clink. Simple!

Perhaps one of the most absurd things mentioned thus far. :o

All they need to do is to build a huge wall ( Great wall of China style) along Sukhumvit Road, starting in Naklua, through Pattaya, extending to the other end of Jomtien, and then down to the beach at either end.

The wall should have half a dozen or so heaviliy fortified and armed gates (Port Cullis style).

Special residents permits to be issued to all Thais who wish to do business within the walled zone: Shop keepers, bars owners, pimps, whores, lady boys, Baht bus drivers, and anyone else who can turn a trick or screw a Baht from unsusupecting farangs. (Upon payment of the usual tea money of course.)

The only farangs who will be granted permition to enter the walled city would be of the bald headed, pot bellied variety.

An entry interview would be conducted to ensure that the visitors are totally lacking in social skills, and whose main aspiration in life is to drink, puke and screw - but not necessarily in that order.

Preference will be given to yobs from Eng-er-land.

No exits to be allowed until all foreign currency is spent, and documentary proof provided that all oveseas bank accounts have been exhausted. Witnesses to attest to this will be required, usually of the female vareiety, who themselves may only qualify as witnesses, by producing savings accounts containing a a minimum of 1 million Baht.

The rest of Thailand can then carry on with their daily lives without being morally outraged, or - horror upon horor - kept awake at night.

That's my platform when I stand for the first farang Mayor of Pattaya :D

And please spare me comments on the economic nessecity. One high quality couple looking for a quiet place, nice restaurants and boutiques will spend more than 10 charter tourists.

couldn't care if you spend 110 times more ...............................

NONE of it trickles down to the locals .......................

:o

Yes, but the amount of trickle will be substantially less. For instance, if you outlaw all hotel rooms that rent for less than 5000 Bt/night, a lot of trickling will disappear. There is always a low end and a high end in economics. It is a relative thing.

If you have a class bias condition, please don't blame economics. Blame Sociology. That school knows how to make money and happy (sarcasm).

Otis

Good post Kurt, although I think business is quite slow overall in the bar scene in Changers. However like you say, a few less asholes makes the place far better.

On the government getting tough, well like blam said Phuket is a law unto itself and whatever goes on there, goes on there. Its not the end of the world and the bar scene will continue. I will say though that if your a sensible drinker and semi-retired out here closing bars at midnight is terribly lame, it will hurt Thailand if they don't rectify this. I and many others 'work' around this in the time honoured fashion of shrugging the shoulders and waiting to see if it changes.

Theres always the speakeasys and after hours hangouts if you really want to booze and hang out until around 0400 hrs etc. So its not like its a brave new thailand or anything.

:D When will thry realize that in those tourist areas theywould make more money if they would change laws back to opening bars till 6am and it would help the whole country out!! What is the theory in closing? If they let one city stay open all hours like say Pattaya then eveyone would know where they could go. :D 24/7

hey everybody! sober up and smell the coffee!

I agree wake up! In my 60 years I have run tourist locations all over the world and 2am is more than enough time to party after that trouble begins weather it be the merry makers themself's or the local thugs. Let Thailand try to protect those that want protecting.....................

Hawai'i is probably one of the leading tourist areas anywhere in the world and California has the largest State population in the USA. Somehow, both of these areas have maintained a 2 AM closing time long before Thailand became a tourist attraction and have had no difficulty attracting people.

Perhaps the new and improved Thai Government could do everyone a service by saying that it will be to everyone's benefit to allow all places serving liquor to cease selling any alcoholic beverages after 2AM. It is common for bars in the USA to have a "last call" about 10 minutes before 2AM.

If a bar wishes to remain open after 2 AM, they are required to close the bar. Violations may result in loss of liquor licenses. No 2nd chances, one violation and you could be shut down.

More than that, smoking has been prohibited in California establishments for years and Hawaii is now following that standard.

Why stop with the enforcement of these laws?

Get rid of the venues promoting prostituition and limit the number of bars.

You will get high spending and high quality tourists in return who prefer a decent drink at a nice bar to rubbing with overweight and drunk farang (male & female).

You sure jump to conclusions!

Did you do any research on the topic or is it merely your gut feeling that makes you believe that getting rid of prostitution and bars will draw in "high spending and high quality tourists". Your assumption sounds a bit short sighted to me.

Second point: the article quotes Maj Gen Decha explaining the motivation of this 'crackdown' :

To avoid blame and/or loss of face because "police from bangkok might come make arrests".

Gov Niran voiced similar concerns “We have to enforce the law. If we do not we ourselves may get in trouble".

This makes me believe this action is not directed in any way to improve life quality or other noble causes, it is not about tourism revenue either, but just about self interests of law enforcers/governor who want to avoid criticism or sanctions from their superiors for not doing their job (enforcing the law).

You mean get rid of prostitution in the tourist areas? What about all the local prostitution venues where Thai men with money go? Oh I forgot Thais don't do that right? What a joke! Prostitution has been going on in Thailand and China long before Westerners got here.

Watch Pattaya People Channel on TV for a few days. The continuing parade of drunken farang misfits getting into brawls, jumping from condo & hotel balconies or being mugged because of their drunken state of vulnerability is just amazing. Who needs that? If all the tourists who absolutely need to drink between 1:00 am and 6:00 am never came to Thailand, it would be no loss.

===

When many years ago I first came to Thailand they closed 0100 in Bkk, and I never saw that as a problem as I wwent out but I had no need to end up in bed drunk with a nice lady... Also at that time beer didnt give me the choice one has now...In addition when later the unlimited time was turned back to 02.00 am it was amazing how much fitter barowners were in the day..

I myself was working and one just cannot afford it to booze every night like some tourists do as they do it for a few weeks... We would likely drink ourself into hospital..... In short I see no problem closing them at 2 am but they should stop closures for all those other stupid reasons like elections or whatever. Farangs falling out of hotels/condo's: wouldnt surprise me if a significant number of them had help doing that. Who has seen this mysterious balcony jumping in western countries????

Anyway, Thailand being Thailand and with a new boss its the same as everywhere where this happens. I still remember with great amusement that due to a visit of a VIP in the company I worked for they unasked emptied a small 3 by 3 meter room out. Ooops, $3m dollar in computer data got zapped as it HAD to be clean....

By the way is the proposed change also valid for Pataya????

And what does the law say about when a bar can OPEN???

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Muslim fundamentalists will keep chipping away at the freedom of the Thai people until, one day, your avarage Thai will awake to the 5:00am call to prayer.

When will the Thai people stand up for themselves?

Virgil, Out!

Let me guess......... An American, a republican and a person who knows little about Thailand.

just a guess mind! :o

Do you really think the Thais (non Muslim) will let Muslims take over the country?

I have found most Thai (non Muslim) do not have much regard for Muslims in the first place.

I think less than 10% of the country is a Muslim, so please explain your post as it is virging on the ridiculous Virgil.

Less than 10% for sure. :D

The thing i do not understand is the never ending construction of shopping centres, hotels and upmarket markets aimed at high end tourists. A classic example of this is the new JJ Market complex in Chiang Mai which has been open a couple of years now. It is an absolutely beautiful complex, well designed and a credit to its developers but there is just no tourists there spending money. The shops are upmarket with high quality products although the pricing is a bit high too. The thing is there is just no customers going there. Some of the Bars on the outskirt of the centre do well in the night but thats it. There is another centre out of town in the Hang Dong area called Kad Farang. Rimping supermarket, black canyon and S& P are in there together with many small variety shops. The big names do okay but not super and again the centre is very well built and is a lovely centre , but no customers. How do they stay open? and why do they keep building major hotel one after the other.

I am obviously missing something in the picture.

Look forward to enlightenment

================

I worked many years ago in a project development company and whole towncenters were redesigned and that took in some cases 20 years (long after I left them)

They planned what went where, checked traffic flows including peoples walking habbits etc and when finished it was a well working project where owners made money. Problem here in the far east is that they havent got real department stores as an example, they donot buy stuff to sell except floorspace. So they can afford to stick buildings in dumb places as people loosing the money are the silly ones having rented them or bought them. If one has a good location for a restaurant, a nice view, it doesnt mean you will have customers unless you are within easy reach of eaters or have them passing you. The only way the last will make money is if due to the passage of time the stream of potential customers will increase.

At present in Patong they reorganised the trafic, and its a matter of taste I guess if its an improvement. Personally I donot like it as while trafic flows faster, its also a lot more dangerous and quite a few shops lost business as its much more cumbersome to get to them.

I think I can enlighten you about a coupkle of things.

1) there have been a great number of new businesses opened in the past couple of years in CM, who's target customer are foreign tourists/expats. I think it is not true that tourism has declined, but more true that evrmore businesses are sharing that seasonal income.

2) Developers such as those who built JJ and Kad farang make their money on rents and key money. They get enough key money that failing businesses ar GOOD for their business. Two poor choices of location IMO, but that's another matter.

:D When will thry realize that in those tourist areas theywould make more money if they would change laws back to opening bars till 6am and it would help the whole country out!! What is the theory in closing? If they let one city stay open all hours like say Pattaya then eveyone would know where they could go. :D 24/7

hey everybody! sober up and smell the coffee!

I agree wake up! In my 60 years I have run tourist locations all over the world and 2am is more than enough time to party after that trouble begins weather it be the merry makers themself's or the local thugs. Let Thailand try to protect those that want protecting.....................

I agrre with you 2 am is enough time to party.. Bars that I have worked in and owned one myself for a while.. hours were 6 am to 2 am.... Safety is the first order in running a bar. Running a safe establishment is key to having repeat customers. Also the age limit is a real concern. The bars I have visited here in Patong, really need to clean up there act. There should be a sweep to get rid of the wrong do'ers. Some of these girls need checking too. Making money is one thing. Violating the law is another. A bar commission should be created with bar owners themselves created it. There is enough tourism for everyone to suceed. Lets do it the right way.

No worries its all BS - prob want to raise the tea dosh. :o

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking too. This is a very public way of letting those bar owners who have been resisting the tea money payments that their rents are overdue. Pay or we will have to close you down...cause, ya know, it's the 'law'.

The whole problem is the government look at the problems caused by drunks and night owls and react with disgust. "We've got to do something to stamp out this travesty!!!" Then, they hold the business community responsible for enforcement by limiting their hours of business and creating an obstacle to maximizing their profits. I don't think you'll disagree that police are here, among other things, to keep the order. As they say, there is a silver lining to every cloud. They could just put more police on the streets. They don't have to be out with an attitude of control. They could just be made available as their normal happy and smiling selves. The drunken fights and mishaps will continue to manifest. Then they can do what the coppers back home do--arrest the transgressors, throw them in the drunk tank, charge them with a fine for whatever laws they break, send them home if they're too bad, etc. The police are happy because they have more jobs. The merchants are happy because they can stay open as late as they desire in the confidence that there is the great bastion of Thai law ready to aid them in times of duress. The tourists are happy because they can enjoy the cool night air to their hearts content. What's so difficult about all of this?

Wait wait wait, hold the phone people... This is Thailand (REMEMBER!)

When public officials rant and make noise, without a full 'crackdown' order, it just means "Get ready to pay your local cop more for whatever extralegal activity you are engaged in." It's kind of a nice thing really. You get the news straight from the horse's mouth rather than having to mince words with your friendly pocket cop. This way, you make the gesture first and he appreciates it with a quick toothy smile. Thai way absolute.

Umm, you guys forget where you are, 'er what? This is just the way things are done here. Local politicians rant locally, you pay locally. Big boss MPs rant nationally, farangs pay more in tax. That's about the size of it, period.

My gosh, where is "Night Owl" when we need him? Most of the people on this board have completely lost their brevity and truly think they are back in Sydney, or somewhere else just as whitebread. Whoa. :o

Thailand! You know, the place where barefoot guys collect free stuff in the early morning before you wake up, no potable water in the taps, no toilet paper, bloodless military coups, and body massage emporiums larger than the House of Commons? Get a grip on reality here people!

From what I understand, the country (or at least those that feel they are charged with the protection of Thai values) feel that the the traditional Thai values such as the all important family unit and the overwhelming sense of and importance of the community are being lost to encroaching western values.

The increase in teenagers drinking and violence, the increase in gambling and the sex industry and increase in the 'what I earn is more important than how I earn it' mentality are changing the fabric of Thai society and I have to say....for the worse.

Whether you believe they are going about it in the right way or not.....this is what the clamp-downs are aiming at addressing. Only in December I was at a town fair in Khun Han. A small rural town in Si Saket where we have our Thai home/rubber etc. The usual things were there such as the vendors, the travelling Chinese Theatre, the stalls that offer ever impossible ways to win a cuddly toy......oh yes.....and one teen beaten to death by a rock and another bystander (on a separate night) killed when a member of a gang threw a homemade bomb at another gang and didn't find his target but manage to blow up someone else.

I first went to Thailand 10 years ago and I live mainly in the UK now with my Thai wife and our kids and even in that short amount of time, I have noticed a huge difference.

This is what I have gauged from talking to Thais about the bar rule changes and the news articles (watched in the UK on TGN) that are referring to the increase in western values in Thailand.

Blame the government we may, moan about having to stop drinking at 1am we may....but who is it that you think is at least partly to blame for the way things are?

And as much as I would like to blame the coward insurgents in the south who seem to feel that poor rubber workers, teachers and Monks are combatants, these problems and the changes in Thai law began well before the current insurgent problems.

Well this is what my thoughts are anyway.

One argument in favor of a 1 AM closing time - and you can read it here more than once - never fails to amaze me. It goes somewhat like this:

"I don't need this and I never do this. That's why there ought to be a law against it."

Oh, this is not typical Thai, not typical farang, this is typical for any narrow minded spirit, who has never thought of the consequences.

What is it, we are talking about? Freedom, right? Well, is "freedom" only what I need? No, freedom is to tolerate even when you don't agree with it.

So, what is the reason why the Thai government wants to close down all entertainment places at 1 am (or 2 am)? The government never explained the reasons. In fact, they did not even make a new law, they just decided to enforce a law, that existed already. They added some "decoration" around, like "entertainment zones" and added the good moral of their doings, then they tried to ban the under aged (25) from drinking, reversed, added ban on advertisement, reversed, and - oh yeah - required Bar owners to ask for an ID of each guest.. The latter quietly vanished. All this doesn't make sense to me.

Thai people never questioned the government, and that's typically Thai: Accept authority 100% and never ask, never challenge, never risk a different opinion. Farangs, however, always question, always criticize, always challenge an opinion.

Which is the better way? I don't know, I just know that I do ask questions (I am farang) and I don't get answers. I guess I have to accept that. Do I?

Hmm.. upon rereading my post, looks like I got a bit side-tracked. Actually I wanted to give my opinion that we should allow things (like long opening hours), even if we personally don't need it. That's what freedom is all about. And isn't Thailand the "Land of the Frees"?

I remember reading just after the coup (couple of weeks after) that one of the main objectives would be to clamp down on Social order inc Night Entertainment & Clothing????? And the proposed start would be Feb; so they are not far off with the plan….it was said at the time that it would be a continuation of Purachai’s hard line and zero tolerance

This will be enforced…. Whatever your views the Army don’t care

472 viewers on this topic at the moment!!

What are they interested in?

The stairs leading to the beach!

The amount of voilent crimes!

The bar opening hours

Up 2 you to decided :o

I agree those stairs should go its a bl00dy disgrace. WHEN im pi$$ed up and busy fighting with someone the last thing I want is a flight of FuC**g stairs to fall down.

Den

472 viewers on this topic at the moment!!

What are they interested in?

The stairs leading to the beach!

The amount of voilent crimes!

The bar opening hours

Up 2 you to decided :D

I agree those stairs should go its a bl00dy disgrace. WHEN im pi$$ed up and busy fighting with someone the last thing I want is a flight of FuC**g stairs to fall down.

Den

That response raised a smile! :D I'm all for having the entertainment venues open until 4 or 5 am if business warrants it but the crackdown that is needed is on any sort of violence related to it - lock up Denby for being pi$$ed up, :D fighting and falling downstairs, but let those who can handle their entertainment without upsetting others enjoy it without undue aggravation. :o

gmac

Edited by gmac

You mean get rid of prostitution in the tourist areas? What about all the local prostitution venues where Thai men with money go? Oh I forgot Thais don't do that right? What a joke! Prostitution has been going on in Thailand and China long before Westerners got here.

Absolutely! And this is why I think that the prostitution spots only attracting foreigners (Nana, Soi Cowboy, Patpong, Chaweng, Lamai ...) should be closed.

I'm not against this business (as a "cultural" heritage) but I'm against its affects on tourism: you attract low life and expats mostly interested in sex and booze and Thailand should not be the place to get this. I'm deeply worried that the image of these animals is at least partly responsible for the (growing?) negative attitude against foreigners in general.

Surely there is a need for mass tourism and quality tourism, but both don't need unlimited opening hours and both don't need beer and go-go bars.

The tourists take what they are offered and if there are no more cheap entertainments around nobody will miss them but the rotton few.

But maybe there will be changes rather soon anyway: as soon as the police gets its fingers out of the honey pots (what the military is intending to achieve) and as soon as they see how much local and foreign mafias are connected in theses businesses there will be a heavy crackdown I'm sure.

I can't wait to see the bars being raided and to see masses of old men packing their bags and heading for the airport becauses their dream and image of Thailand does no longer exist.

One more remark:

I suggest a poll on how long people should actually live here before they are entitled to have (and publish!) an "opinion" about Thailand ...

While I am not overly bothered about what time the bars close as being boring, I drink at home most of the time,I find the nature of some of the posts on this and other similar subjects to be rather disturbing:

"2 A.M. is quite long enough to be drinking."

"90 days is quite long enough for a holiday."

What are you, my parents? At 36 years of age I think I am mature enough to make my own choices, thankyou, as are most others. We all have enough hassle trying to stay legal here without dictating to each other as well.COME ON, PEOPLE!!!

Some posters here are querying why this crackdown on bars and it's enforcement in Phuket. Why now in Phuket ? I don't really know. But in the last few years the policy of cracking down on bars and alcohol started under Taksin and was a continuation of the crackdown on drugs usage in the preceding 5 years or so. Basically, there was many bad things going on in Thailand in the past 20 years or so because of drugs which was purely a Thai thing and not related to Farangs and Farang tourism. I had a friend whose father and brother were shot by drug addicts in a robbery. I remember 10 years ago there were many teenage glue sniffing addicts, including teenage prostitutes hanging around public parks. This was all Thais, not a farang in sight. After the relative success with the drugs campaign (but with thousands of deaths), Taksin's govt then focused on some other teenage problems such as teenage drunks. Thus started the campaign against bars and some restrictions on the sale of alcohol in some outlets like 7 Eleven. A side effect of this policy was new restrictions on the farang tourist bars and nightclubs. At the end of day, it's no big deal, just irritating for the old expat hands who got used to the freewheeling anything goes lifestyle in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

As most people realize, the creation of policy and enforcement of it in Thailand is chaotic but that's the way Thailand is. The talk about contaminating Thai values with Western values is pure bullshit, nobody can control such a thing as cultural values in the modern world where the whole world is a village. Remember that nothing stays the same forever and cultural values will evolve natually. A large percentage of Thais have more money in their pockets now and do not live in rural villages in the provinces in the same way as they used to do. Thai society will develop in it's own way and probably nobody can prevent it changing unless a severe conservative dictatorship comes to power such as in Burma.

I think the Thais are a great friendly smart people and Thailand will always be a great place to visit or live in. But nobody and nowhere is perfect !

Cheers

Chips

Yes - entertainment venues are lifeblood to resort areas. One has to wonder when the powers that be, will get it through their thick skulls.

A couple of news items today in Pattaya that emphasize the high quality tourists (and residents) apparently attracted to Thailand because of the late night drinking. It would be a real shame to lose them if the hours for drinking were reduced!

Aggressive and Drunken Farangs

The Pattaya police received a report at 3.15 am on 5th March that a group of foreign tourists were having a fight at the entrance to Soi 3,

Pattaya 2nd Road, just opposite Big C Supermarket so rushed to the scene with Sawang Boriboon rescuers to investigate.

At the scene, the team found a group of foreigners fighting so separated them and then sent the injured, known only as Peter, aged 44 to the hospital for treatment.

Witnesses told the police that these two gangs were fighting at a bar earlier in the night and couldn’t sort it out. Later, a Mr. Michael left and came back with over 10 more friends and started attacking Peter’s group that had only 5 members, which caused them injuries.

The police were only able to capture one of the attackers, which was Michael himself so detained him and took him back to the police station, and is waiting for Peter to recover to press charges.

English man wanted on accusations he raped his 16 year old step-daughter.

A disturbing case of suspected rape now from Pattaya Police Station. Police Lieutenant Colonel Anan investigated the allegations of sexual assault from a 16 year old girl who was accompanied at the station by her mother. We are unable to give many details on this story because it is an ongoing investigation, but we do know that the suspected rapist is the girl’s step-father. The alarm was raised by the girl after the mother returned home from work on Sunday Night to find her daughter hiding outside the house. She refused to enter the house while her step-father, who is known to be a 50 year old British national, remained inside. We do know that the alleged sexual assaults have been taking place for a period of three months and the last attack took place on 2nd March. We are awaiting further developments in this story and will bring them to you as soon as they are received.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for them quality tourists... Would be nice to talk to someone other than all the low-life tourists. And expats. :D

If someone spots one, please post a pic on here so we can see what this animal looks like :o