Hull Consulate, Uk - New Visa Regulations For Teachers

I just got this from the Thai Consulate in Hull. This applies only to those applying to teach in Thailand.

I'm not quite sure what they mean by an "Education Certificate" I thought it had to be a BA Degree or

higher! Anyway you can still get a NIB visa on just a sponsor letter from a company so long as you don't

mention that you are going to Thailand to teach.

---

New rules have come into effect for persons wishing to enter Thailand for the purpose of teaching in Thailand.

In addition to the usual documentation required for all Category “B” visas it is now necessary to also provide your

Education Certificate, a Criminal Record Clearance Certificate (issued by the UK police or equivalent in Scotland)

and an official appointment letter from the education establishment where you will be working in Thailand.

You can apply to the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull for the Non-Immigrant Category “B” Multiple Entry Visa. This

visa has a validity of 12 months from date of issue and allows entry into Thailand as many times as required, each

entry allows a stay of 90 days maximum.

Please understand it is not possible to work in Thailand until your Work Permit is issued. With a work permit you are

entitled to remain in Thailand continuously for the validity of the Work Permit The education establishment should be

able to assist you in applying for your work permit. Please ensure you take the following documents with you to

Thailand:-

a) Valid passport with Non-Immigrant Category “B” Multiple Entry Visa

:o Valid Education Certificate

c) Valid Criminal Clearance Certificate

d) Official Letter of Appointment from education establishment

e) Any other documents which the education establishment may require

thaiexp, thanks for that excerpt from the Hull Consulate website. Once known as the most cooperative consulate, Hull is now operating under instructions that make it appear, paradoxically, as one of the more difficult places to get a visa if you wish to teach.

"Education certificate." I don't know what that means. Your actual degree or diploma from the highest institution you attended and completed course work? Your embossed, sealed academic transcript, from a country that never issued such things, decades ago? Your graduation diploma from defensive driving school?

I understand Hull to be saying that they require you to already have a job offer before coming to Thailand on a B visa. That would be nice, but you almost never hear of such a thing. Nor do you hear of a teacher starting to teach in Thailand who already has a valid work permit.

Try another consulate, is my suggestion. We adore the folks at Hull, but they must not be expecting to get that income stream from new teachers this year.

For that matter, you might try another country, if you wish to teach legally overseas. Cambodia, perhaps? Vietnam or Myanmar?

The whisper is 'don't worry too much'
Right, and don't think too much; those are the whispered rumours. But if a guy lived near Hull and didn't think the embassy in London would do him any better, what's he supposed to do? Yes, I think this entire crackdown will be crackdowned, perhaps by May 15th or June 19th. Meanwhile....chaos reigns.

Education Certificate is the Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) its what teachers in the UK need in order to teach in schools - as it says its a 1 year post grad course . You can take the course if you haven't got a degree in which case it is called a Certificate of Education (Cert Ed)

I'm confused - the requirement before appeared to be a BA plus TEFL now its a Cert ED (which is obviously a lot quicker to obtain AND there is government help and a 'golden hello' of £2,500 for english teachers Click here for details  as it is trying to train more teachers and as the Dept for Ed says "Please note that a degree is not required to begin undergraduate teacher training,") there is no mention of a BA (or TEFL) now for Thai Visas.

Have the rules been changed again?

Education Certificate is the Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) its what teachers in the UK need in order to teach in schools - as it says its a 1 year post grad course . You can take the course if you haven't got a degree in which case it is called a Certificate of Education (Cert Ed)

I'm confused - the requirement before appeared to be a BA plus TEFL now its a Cert ED (which is obviously a lot quicker to obtain AND there is government help and a 'golden hello' of £2,500 for english teachers Click here for details as it is trying to train more teachers and as the Dept for Ed says "Please note that a degree is not required to begin undergraduate teacher training,") there is no mention of a BA (or TEFL) now for Thai Visas.

Have the rules been changed again?

The site seems to have no specific reference to Thailand.

Even if it did, why would the Thais have to follow UK guidelines?

mopenyang, I understand that thaiexp has gotten this data from the website of the THAILAND honorary consulate in Hull, which doesn't issue visa to Thais. And if it's correct that 'education certificate' means a PGCE (which I doubt or don't know), maybe Hull thinks a UK certificate should be good enough for Thai schools.

I may be an old fool in the school whirlpool, but I think this is just smoke that will clear out in the first rain. Nothing lasts forever, even Thai pipe-dreams.

I think the police clearance check certificate doodad is another pipe-dream.