03 April Bangkok Bank Accepted Transfer

This doesn't mean to ignore what the bank has said about refusing any more transfers. This is just a real time report that I transferred $2000 US from my US credit union to Bangkok Bank and it was accepted as of 03 April. They may refuse in the future, and I've dialed in Transferwise to the point I'm comfortable with their time and fees. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

got an SMS today from BKK Bank to advise that they had received my US SSA payment...not surprised as I had called Ms Supatra at the main office in BKK to confirm the arrangement about 2 months ago...my account was enabled with IAT for transfers when I opened the account two years ago...

18 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I see no reason why Bangkok Bank would refuse to accept a remittance from the USA for credit to the account of one of its clients.

Because BKKB had publicly announced some months ago that their NY branch was going to cease accepting regular U.S. ACH transfers effective April 1, 2019, and after that only would accept IAT (International ACH Transaction) formatted transfers -- a type of transfer that virtually no U.S. bank or CU offers to its consumer customers.

And beyond that, not even all the various federal paying entities, including Social Security, have ALL their Thailand recipients' payments coded for IAT at present. Social Security is probably the furthest along, and various of the others are less far along.

So, as it turned out, it's very good that April 1 came and went, and the NY Branch informed us privately that they have delayed the cutoff of traditional ACH transfers for some unspecified period of time, even though BKKB's TH webpage, at least the last time I checked, still refers to them planning to reject/return any non IAT coded transfers arriving to the NY Branch after April 1, 2019.

Fortunately for a lot of folks, for now, BKKB NY has not kept to the bank's original announcement re IAT, at least, not yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1