Coming to work as a teacher

What would be the best way to do this, as in when I first come to thailand? I dont want to apply for a tourist visa because I would need to send the DC embassy a ticket out of thailand when I apply for it. Could I just come with no visa on a 1 way ticket, with a visa extension? I'd like to apply to jobs on ajarn when I get there. Let me know what is the best option, and if any teachers reading this, what did you personally do when you came to work?

4 hours ago, oskar55 said:

Could I just come with no visa on a 1 way ticket, with a visa extension? I'd like to apply to jobs on ajarn when I get there.

Most likely you'd be denied boarding without either a visa or onward flight. 

You can buy a one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport here in Thailand. You can find tickets for a as little as 1000 baht on a low cost carrier such as Air Asia.

You could use it to meet the meet requirements for one to apply for a tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days,

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can buy a one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport here in Thailand. You can find tickets for a as little as 1000 baht on a low cost carrier such as Air Asia.

You could use it to meet the meet requirements for one to apply for a tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days,

would buying a random 1 way ticket out of thailand as 'proof' for the visa be the best option in this case? or could i just buy a 1 way ticket to bangkok on a visa exempt entry just fine? what do you reckon most people do who are looking to teach?

25 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

would buying a random 1 way ticket out of thailand as 'proof' for the visa be the best option in this case? or could i just buy a 1 way ticket to bangkok on a visa exempt entry just fine? what do you reckon most people do who are looking to teach?

If you have a visa beforehand an onward flight shouldn't be required; if you come in on a 30 day visa exempt entry it most likely will be. In the latter case a random ticket out within the 30 day period will work, regional hops like Yangon are usually cheap. 

Edited by lamyai3

2 hours ago, oskar55 said:

A ticket out of the country within 30 days is required for a visa exempt entry. Immigration seldom asks but the airline is likely to want to see one before you can board your flight. A one way ticket out of the country within 30 days would take care of that.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

When you get a job, you'll have to leave the country anyway to get a non-imm visa.

yeah but the plan is to arrive in thailand and start applying for jobs on ajarn and such, i was told that its better to apply for jobs when you're already in thailand. is applying for jobs while still in USA ok?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country within 30 days is required for a visa exempt entry. Immigration seldom asks but the airline is likely to want to see one before you can board your flight. A one way ticket out of the country within 30 days would take care of that.

ok which option would you personally do? buy a random ticket out of thailand and apply for the tourist visa, or just come on a visa exempt? also, would the DC embassy accept a tourist visa application without a ticket out? or would they return my application denied?

5 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

ok which option would you personally do? buy a random ticket out of thailand and apply for the tourist visa, or just come on a visa exempt? also, would the DC embassy accept a tourist visa application without a ticket out? or would they return my application denied?

I would get tourist visa.

A ticket out of the country is on their list of requirements.

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

The embassy is not only place you can apply for the visa. You apply by main or in person at one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

You can also apply in person at one of the honorary consulates. https://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would get tourist visa.

A ticket out of the country is on their list of requirements.

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

The embassy is not only place you can apply for the visa. You apply by main or in person at one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

You can also apply in person at one of the honorary consulates. https://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

i'd apply for the visa by mail, not in person, wasnt aware theres other embassies in US other than in DC. I'm in virginia so DC is the closest one but still, i'd be applying by mail. do you know if i NEED to buy some random ticket as 'proof' that im leaving thailand? i.e if i applied for the visa by mail with a 1-way ticket, they'd send the application back to me denied? im looking to come to thailand and get a job, and will do visa runs if necessary if i don't get a job within the first 30-60days

Get a 60 day tourist visa at home. get a cheap onward flight to Laos or nearby for roughly day 50. Come here, get a job. Schools as a rule are slow getting all the paperwork together, if you only have a 30 day on arrival you'll be getting stressed. Day 50 take all your documents to a consulate in a nearby country, get your non B, return back to your job and start enjoying the trouble free life of a teacher in Thailand. ???? Just my opinion, but thats how I'd tackle it

2 hours ago, oskar55 said:

i'd apply for the visa by mail, not in person, wasnt aware theres other embassies in US other than in DC. I'm in virginia so DC is the closest one but still, i'd be applying by mail. do you know if i NEED to buy some random ticket as 'proof' that im leaving thailand? i.e if i applied for the visa by mail with a 1-way ticket, they'd send the application back to me denied? im looking to come to thailand and get a job, and will do visa runs if necessary if i don't get a job within the first 30-60days

The would deny your application if you did not send a ticket out of the country with your application.

A one way to ticket within 60 days would be accepted. Just check for a one way to ticket from Surat Thani, Hat Yai or Hua Hin to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The would deny your application if you did not send a ticket out of the country with your application.

A one way to ticket within 60 days would be accepted. Just check for a one way to ticket from Surat Thani, Hat Yai or Hua Hin to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. 

Will do. would a ticket leavin thailand after 95 days work? or does it have a 60-day limit

16 minutes ago, oskar55 said:

Will do. would a ticket leavin thailand after 95 days work?

The might accept one within 90 days of your arrival since that is longest you can stay in the country after getting the 30 day of the 60 day entry from the visa.