Legal/medical Question

srowndedbyh2o

Wasn’t sure which forum to post this, as it is a question of both a legal matter as well as a health question, but:

I am an American, and my Thai wife and I live in the US. All of my wifes family live in Thailand.

My wifes family lives in SiSaket, and when traveling between Bangkok and SiSaket they usually use the train, but for some reason back on about the 18th of this month they decided to go by bus (a private bus company, not the government run bus) . Well, the bus got into an accident. There were some fatalities, but luckily all of my wifes family survived with what appeared to be minor scrapes and bruses. Now some 9 days later, my wifes brother and sister, although still a bit sore, appear to be doing ok. However my wifes mother is still complaining of pain and unable to attend to her usual daily chores. She also has been having some difficulty breathing when she lies down to sleep. I told my wife to call her family and have her Mother go back into the hospital for further evaluation, just in case they overlooked something during her first exam at the time of the accident, and to be sure there are no further complications that have developed.

In the US if someone is involved in an accident such as this, the bus company would be responsible for any medical care and bills resulting from the accident, and the person suffering injuries may also be entitled to some other compensation.

Does the same hold true for Thailand? My wife is telling me that after the initial exams at the time of the accident, my wifes family will have to pay out of pocket for any further medical care, and that they will try and get the bus company to reimburse them later. Is this how it usually works in Thailand?

My wifes family are your typical Isaan farming folk, and I am worried that as such, when they go the doctor/hospital on their own, they may not receive the same medical attention as, say a Thai businessman may receive. I don’t want to see them taken advantage of, and want them to receive all the medical care and compensation they are entitled to.

Opinons, comments?

I can only speak about the medical aspect. Pain and difficulty breathing that does not lessen or abate should certainly have a follow up doctors visit. There are certain medical conditions, latent, that have these symptoms and are life threatening.

Wasn’t sure which forum to post this, as it is a question of both a legal matter as well as a health question, but:

I am an American, and my Thai wife and I live in the US. All of my wifes family live in Thailand.

My wifes family lives in SiSaket, and when traveling between Bangkok and SiSaket they usually use the train, but for some reason back on about the 18th of this month they decided to go by bus (a private bus company, not the government run bus) . Well, the bus got into an accident. There were some fatalities, but luckily all of my wifes family survived with what appeared to be minor scrapes and bruses. Now some 9 days later, my wifes brother and sister, although still a bit sore, appear to be doing ok. However my wifes mother is still complaining of pain and unable to attend to her usual daily chores. She also has been having some difficulty breathing when she lies down to sleep. I told my wife to call her family and have her Mother go back into the hospital for further evaluation, just in case they overlooked something during her first exam at the time of the accident, and to be sure there are no further complications that have developed.

In the US if someone is involved in an accident such as this, the bus company would be responsible for any medical care and bills resulting from the accident, and the person suffering injuries may also be entitled to some other compensation.

Does the same hold true for Thailand? My wife is telling me that after the initial exams at the time of the accident, my wifes family will have to pay out of pocket for any further medical care, and that they will try and get the bus company to reimburse them later. Is this how it usually works in Thailand?

My wifes family are your typical Isaan farming folk, and I am worried that as such, when they go the doctor/hospital on their own, they may not receive the same medical attention as, say a Thai businessman may receive. I don’t want to see them taken advantage of, and want them to receive all the medical care and compensation they are entitled to.

Opinons, comments?

In the US you'd run and get a lawyer to represent you and to file any claim/s. It is no different here. It is possible that a law firm could represent a group of claimants and that'd keep initial legal expenses down.

From what I know, The bus co will pay for the first doctor visit and if they find nothing wrong then they will not pay again,,

But the Thai still have the 35 baht deal and can go to the hospital by only paying the 35 baht,, I don't think you will get anything else here.

Sorry but it is a lot different than there.