Polish opposition kicks off election campaign with 'Polexit' warning

rooster59

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Poland is the biggest net recipient of EU aid - Bloomberg

Of course they would vote to stay in.

Now we know why the EU mafia is keen to keep their hands in our pockets. This year the UK is due to cough up 15.5 billion euros to boost the EU's battered budget. 

Without our contribution, the other big fish like Germany and France would face having to pay more to bail out the Poles and the federation's other tiddler economies.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Whether you're a leaver or a remainer this is the governmental clown who has been given possibly the most important task in British politics since WW2. No wonder the world is laughing at us.

When you really come down to it I don't believe the world is laughing at you. If anything there's some trepidation of what the future holds for this has affected a great many people and has the potential to affect many more. The world has enough strife and drama going on without more created. Hopefully sane thinkers will work a way out of the juxtaposed jam of leave or stay, get your currency back to normal and create an optimism for the future which understandably has recently waned. Your resolve will see you through. 

• Like 1

Honestly, why is this news? Shall we expect more fascinating stories from South Sudan, Gabon or Djibouti?

Poland is a backward, conservative s**thole (I travel there for work, thus do have first-hand knowledge), currently run by a bunch of right-wingers, sucking the flaccid, withered c**k of their nazi leader, Katchynsky.

Honestly, this place is best forgotten until it comes up with a more progressive government and finally cuts its ties with its nationalist past. Some countries just need to mature.

Edited by shadowofacloud

11 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

I think if nothing else from the last few years worldwide, polls are to be taken with a pinch of salt......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Obviously, you don't know Poland. They have suffered from a communist regime and the EU is for them a guarantee of democracy. Wich, by the way, is exactly the role currently played by the EU against the current proto-fascist government. Most of all, they have been dominated by Russia, so they hate and fear Russia. They may be nationalist, which is well explained by their history, but they will never leave the safeguard of the EU, against various hegemonic pressures from Russia. 

Obviously, you don't know Poland. They have suffered from a communist regime and the EU is for them a guarantee of democracy. Wich, by the way, is exactly the role currently played by the EU against the current proto-fascist government. Most of all, they have been dominated by Russia, so they hate and fear Russia. They may be nationalist, which is well explained by their history, but they will never leave the safeguard of the EU, against various hegemonic pressures from Russia. 
Obviously you can't interpret my post which has no reflection of the Polish, or indeed of Poland......

2 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Obviously you can't interpret my post which has no reflection of the Polish, or indeed of Poland......

I agree that your post addresses a general and quite relevant concern. However, this thread is about Poland, and more precisely, about the opposition relying on the fear that the current government may want to leave the EU.

I agree that your post addresses a general and quite relevant concern. However, this thread is about Poland, and more precisely, about the opposition relying on the fear that the current government may want to leave the EU.
Not fear, it's fact

The five party coalition made up recently is a direct response to the current monopoly wanting to leave the EU

Right or wrong this nation will get an answer soon enough, they will have some difficult times ahead I am sure

Personally I think the EU is done for in the longterm, should the vote go against the EU in Poland (which is by no means unimaginable) it will no doubt have severe repercussions for the other members......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

weren't these people voted in by a democratic election?

They were. On a manifesto (promise) to honour and enact the decision reached by the referendum.

A promise/manifesto swiftly abandoned once they were aboard the gravy train for another 5 years. No doubt they are banking on the electorate forgetting what they did (break a manifesto/promise) when the time comes for re-election.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, DoctorG said:

Poland is the biggest net recipient of EU aid - Bloomberg

Of course they would vote to stay in.

Not necessarily.

It depends on whether the electorate are seeing any benefit (in their own lives) from that 'largess' - or whether they think it is all going to the wealthy?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:49 AM, candide said:

The increasing undemocratic nature of the EU is one of the reasons a majority of Brits voted Leave in Brexit referendum.

As the Euro superstate systematically devolves political power from national governments to a "politburo" of unelected bureaucrats, you can't blame the Poles for wondering if they have swapped frying pan for fire. 

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The increasing undemocratic nature of the EU is one of the reasons a majority of Brits voted Leave in Brexit referendum.

As the Euro superstate systematically devolves political power from national governments to a "politburo" of unelected bureaucrats, you can't blame the Poles for wondering if they have swapped frying pan for fire. 

Currently the EU is countering undemocratic tendencies of the current government. That's fact, not opinion. Check what they have done and tell me if you would like the same to happen in UK.

Moreover, I know you are obsessed with Brexit but where did you read in the OP that a large share of Poles are attracted by the idea of exiting the EU?

Edited by candide

Currently the EU is countering undemocratic tendencies of the current government. That's fact, not opinion. Check what they have done and tell me if you would like the same to happen in UK.

Moreover, I know you are obsessed with Brexit but where did you read in the OP that a large share of Poles are attracted by the idea of exiting the EU?
Is the UK government not doing this by wriggling out of a majority vote from 3 years ago?.....

5 hours ago, candide said:

My view of Polish democracy is irrelevant. It's horses for courses. If Poles don't like the way their country is being run, they can change their leadership - but not, of course, the Brussels bureaucracy.

5 hours ago, candide said:

I didn't say a large share of Poles were ready to exit the EU. Right now, they remain too dependent on EU funding (over 100 million Euros so far). However, Donald Tusk has expressed concern over the prospect of an eventual Polexit.

Edited by Krataiboy