Change from retirement visa to marriage visa denied

Last week I´ve been at Samui Immigration to change from retirement to marriage Visa. One of the reasons beeing denied was the fotos. I did as the list of requirements they hand out says, but they wanted another set up (in the bedroom etc.) Second was that they told me my passport had to be valid for min. 1 year (7 months valid at that time). I always thought it has to be 6 months valid at least!? But what surprised me most was, that they gave me this paper (attached page 1, the other pages show the instructions how to do) and told me that I have to do an online, and only online, notification of my address. (it actually looks to me that my wife has to do it, but they said I have to do it) I have a yellow house book and a pink "Thai ID" card both showing my name and address. I asked if we can do the notification here, sitting at Immigration!! No can not ! only online ?? Now I´m on a 60 days Tourist Visa and have to try again in June. Does anyone of you guys have had a similar experience ? What it´s all about ?

Regards

Notification of residence.pdf

Having 12 months of passport validity remaining is not required but the extension would only been issued to the date your passport expires. If they refused to do it on that basis they were wrong.

The reporting of your presence at your residence is not a new requirement at many offices now. Discussed many times as TM30 reporting.

You will have to do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry prior to applying for an extension again.

General requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79 

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you can apply for the extension.

I assume your are in the process of getting a new passport.

Given the reputation of Samui immigration - if they make problems for you getting a 90-day Non-O Stamp (needed before you can apply for the 1-year extension), keep in mind, that you can avoid this by obtaining a Non-O Visa from Penang (or Savannakhet - but further away for you), then proceed with the 1-year marriage-extension directly from an entry with that visa. 

I would try getting the Non-O Stamp from Samui first - but good to know there is an alternative so it doesn't stress you out too much if they make problems. 

You must have at least 15 days left on your current permitted-stay when you apply for the Non-O Stamp, but I would apply with 30 days remaining, to have time to deal with any surprises.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1