Voip Over Broadband Internet

AlexInKK

Hi all,

I'm interested in making high quality VOIP (pc-phone calls) over the net from Thailand, and while here's been quite a bit of discussion about it I haven't yet heard anyone definitively say "Yes, I'm doing it;and here's how...".

(I consider high quality to be roughly comparable to that offered by many calling cards, who I understand also go over the net).

I'm especially interested in if it's possible over Ipstar (sattelite broadband) as there's little to no chance of me getting an ADSL or broadband line to my house, in any reasonable amount of time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a fear of buying a system (say Ipstar), or signing up for service, and finding out that the internet company has not delivered capabilities that it promised.

Thanks for anything offered,

Alex

I've done VOIP+Webcam over the high speed connection out of Centrepoint.

I don't think I would use Ipstar for Voip, since satellite always involves a delay.

You can do VOIP just fine on a dialup line using Instant Messenger (say, Yahoo or MSN). I've been communicating with someone (VOIP+Webcam) in BKK from the US over a dialup line at one end and it seems to work well.

Yeah, Skype is the way to go. Very impressive. But you need ADSL for best results. The quality of the call is better than a local call, and even much better to any local telephone call in Europe. Pretty amazing. And it's free.

Thanks for the info everyone (-and sorry for the delay),

It's been very useful to hear of Skype. It doesn't help me with making pc-phone calls though...but sounds amazing. I just need to upgrade my computer to use it :o

And net2phone might work alright within country. I'll have to sign up; but I don't have a good feeling as I've already had really, really big problems using 'Dialpad' and 'Mywebcalls' to call from Korea to Thailand. There is basically only about 15% of reception-just enough to make out the other person saying "I can't hear you-call again". Calls to Canada were amazing through Dialpad.

Another big problem is that in Khon Kaen even getting ADSL or Broadband seems a struggle. I was told via the wife that broadband through the government cost 5-100,000 baht to install. Ipstar didn't even return an email.

And for group reference, here are some telephony companies that seem to offer the best prices. Disregard the info regarding Korea if it doesn't apply to your interest. (Sorry if it comes out a bit sloppy as it's a simple cut and paste from a Word file). Calls to the USA should be same as to Canada and if I say 'Thailand', I likely mean outside Bangkok. Check to see if rates to Bangkok are cheaper.

And you'd be hard pressed to come up with lower prices. I'm extremely cheap [chest puffs out proudly] and took quite a few hours coming up with these prices. Post if you find cheaper though. :D

Alex

................................................................................

Telephony Comparisons

www.mywebcalls.com

To Canada: 2.2 cents/min US (best pay as go- i.e. not bundled)

To Korea: 2.9 cents/min US, (cell, 7.3 cents/min US).

To Thailand: 10.9 cents/min US (Bangkok: 5.7 cents/min) (mobile: 11.5 cents/min).

 EXCELLENT PRICES

 CAN PAY BY PAYPAL

 MINUTES NEVER EXPIRE

www.Dialpad.com **known name and reputable**

Calls to Korea = 4.5 cents/min to Seoul, 5.5 to rest of Korea, 7.9 to mobile.

Calls to Canada = 2 cents per min (is best option for bundle of 500 minutes/$9.99US).

3.9cents otherwise.

Calls to Thailand = 19cents/min (World Ring card is way cheaper at 13,000 won for

76 minutes, calling from Korea).

www.net2phone.com **known name and reputable**

Calls to Korea = 5 cents/min

Calls to Canada = 3.9 cents (with bundle, $14.99 for 500 minutes). 5 cents otherwise.

Calls to Thailand. = 20 cents/min (World Ring card is way cheaper at 13,000 won for 76 minutes, calling from Korea).

www.iconnecthere.com ** look reputable, recognize name, good website**

Calls to Korea = 5.5 cents/min

Calls to Canada = 3 cents

Calls to Thailand. = 19 cents/minute

www.worldring.com

Calls to Korea = 4.1 cents/min

South Korea - Mobile 1 0.114

South Korea - Mobile 11 0.114

South Korea - Mobile 16 0.114

South Korea - Mobile 17 0.114

South Korea - Mobile 18 0.114

South Korea - Mobile 19 0.114

South Korea - Seoul 2 0.041

South Korea 0.05

Calls to Canada = .033 cents /min

Calls to Thailand. = 22 cents/minute, (10 cents/min to Bangkok).

www.callonthe.net ***best prices but website looks hokey-$30 activation fee***

Calls to Korea = 3 cents

Calls to Canada = 2 cents

Calls to Thailand. = 10.5 cents

................................................................................

I've done VOIP+Webcam over the high speed connection out of Centrepoint.

Pchaweng, can you please tell me what 'Centrepoint' is. Also, have you tried callling anyone in Korea via any system. If so, how were the results?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex

I am in Khon Kaen, and ADSL has been installed within days.

Go to TOT, 2. floor, the glassdoor on the right. They are responsible for ADSL.

But take somebody with you to translate!!

Hello,

FREE TRIAL FOR ALL...YOU WILL BE SATISFIED

There is NO ACTIVATION FEE for www.CallOnThe.Net

We have 100's of happy customers using it Thailand, Works excellent on Dial-up or broadband

www.CallOnThe.Net/pcphone2.html

send an email to me [email protected] I will email you a Free Username and Password

We also have a Bangkok Bank account so you can make payments locally.

Every PC is different, every configuration/Setup is different, i know.

I tried to use Skype after a friend in the UK suggested it might be a good way to have voice conversations instead of MSN etc. So i went and downloaded it.

I was some what dubious due to Sharman Networks writing it, knowing full well the pitfalls and troubles with the likes of Kazaa. I decided to give it a try anyway as i'm IT literate enough to work through any spy/ad ware they may install on my PC.

I installed it, configured it and logged off, waiting for my friend to get his end set up... booted the PC up a few days later and _everything went pear-shaped, GFX drivers started screwign up, Windows got itself in a pickle and i ended up having to boot into safe mode and uninstall Skype (after about an hour or so of tryign to figure out what went wrong) - After Skype was uninstalled Windows managed toget a grip on reality again and started to behave itself.

Soooooo... if you use Skype you might want to be careful, maybe i was just unlucky and Skype screwed up some config files or something, maybe Skype wasnt responsible at all for my troubles, just seemed strange that after the install everything went wrong and after the uninstall everything was fine again.

Just my experience

I use eyeball chat with webcams to talk to relatives back in the UK. A lot like Messenger except it's more reliable. (i.e. Messenger voice connection seems to be a bit iffy - often not connecting, or only one of us hearing the other one, although the webcams connect every time!!!).

Eyeball chat works a lot better, connects every time with webcams AND audio. Only issue was my brother had to get a newer driver for his webcam, which was one of those generic Chinese ones you can buy in Pantip. (qcam - eventually found a driver from bytecc)

It's even better if you want to send large files to each other, where it doesn't seem to have a file size limit... (We haven't sent anything larger than 700Mb, but the fact it sent it was quite impressive).

Both sides using ADSL means sound quality is basically dependant on the quality of your microphones, and the speed of your hardware, more than the connection..