Phayao villager drowns while collecting oysters

snoop1130

Phayao villager drowns while collecting oysters

By The Nation

a7f4623f42882caba45260bbd02ccd74.jpeg

A villager drowned on Wednesday morning while collecting oysters in a pond in Phayao’s Dok Kham Tai district, police said.

The victim was identified as Boonraeng Mahayos, 42, a resident of Moo 8 village in Tambon Dong Suwan.

Police were alerted of the death at 9am after the man’s body was seen floating face down in the middle of the pond. 

Witnesses said Boonraeng had been collecting oysters in the pond from the morning, and police believe he may have fainted from the heat and drowned as a result. 

The body was sent for an autopsy at the Dok Kham Tai Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368293

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24

Mis-use of the term 'oysters'.  This group of pelecypods is famously stenohaline (not tolerating any rise of fall in salinity of sea water. Therefore, impossible to live in fresh water habitats. There lots of other groups of pelecypods which abound in fresh-waters - but they have different names .......

2 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Mis-use of the term 'oysters'.  This group of pelecypods is famously stenohaline (not tolerating any rise of fall in salinity of sea water. Therefore, impossible to live in fresh water habitats. There lots of other groups of pelecypods which abound in fresh-waters - but they have different names .......

You seem knowledgeable about shellfish, maybe you can identify the Thai freshwater equivalent that looks like these winkles. My wife's family eats them and they are harvested from the local ponds, creeks & rice fields.  I think they call them something like "hoy daeng?" They either boil ,steam or BBQ them and apparently are a bit rubbery and chewy. I imagine this is what the dead man was seeking in the pond.

image.jpeg.0864b315367b9294fff719d509d93225.jpeg

Archived