Ive just bought this electrical unit for 150 Baht – But what is it ?

MrScratch

I was wondering around a shop that sells electrical and electronic items and came across this - Interpower 85010071 4 Position Accessory Power Strip, 10A Rating, 100-240VAC Voltage

The item was brand new and seemed well made with a metal case and it looked interesting , so as it was priced at 150 Baht I thought I would take a chance and buy it ???? , but now I really have no idea what its for or even if I could use it in some way .

Ive looked at the manufactures web site , but I’m still not sure what the unit is .

http://www.interpower.com/cgi-bin/ic.cgi/p50form.p?w_part=85010070

This is the same unit for sale on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Interpower-85010071-Position-Accessory-100-240VAC/dp/B009R6004Y#feature-bullets-btf

So have I spent 150 Baht for nothing and I should just drop it in the rubbish bin or is the unit useful in some way ?

unknown1.png

That is a nice powerstrip with a small breaker.

Good for use with computer and sorts.

150 baht well paid, but usefull for you that's up to you to decide.

It is like a extension cord with 4 outputs and a breaker housed in a metal casing,

without the cords ofcourse which isn't hard to obtain.

Cords for the outputs are not widely available but you can find them in computer related stores.

Rgds

It's a circuit breaker. Please look at the back of your PC and you'll see that your main power cable connector looks like four of these.  Just saw that another poster wrote an answer at the same time. You can get such cables at Advice, shops are in every province, usually more than one shops in each. 

You can use it for 110, or 220/230 volts. IEC 60320 standard inlet and outlets Single-pole, single-throw circuit breaker Maximum operating ambient 40ºC. 

Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:, I’m still confused , is the unit some sort of overload / trip / surge protector / type of thing and what would it protect, say my computer when there’s a thunderstorm storm and lightning ?

On 5/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, MrScratch said:

Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:, I’m still confused , is the unit some sort of overload / trip / surge protector / type of thing and what would it protect, say my computer when there’s a thunderstorm storm and lightning ?

Hard to tell from the photo but for B150, I doubt there's surge suppression.  Like others have said, it appears to be a simple power strip with (guessing) a 10 amp breaker.  If you want to use it, you will need to attach a power cord (unless it has one somewhere) and possibly get some adapters for those sockets.

17 hours ago, MrScratch said:

This is the same unit for sale on Amazon

$95.93 !!!!!

Wish I could find buyers who pay this for a $5 thing.

Or is it NASA certified for Mars expedition.

No surge protector, nothing.

What a joke.

It's just a weird/specialized multi socket thing.

If you have four PCs then buy four power cords.

Quite nice then :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

$95.93 !!!!!

Wish I could find buyers who pay this for a $5 thing.

Or is it NASA certified for Mars expedition.

No surge protector, nothing.

What a joke.

It's just a weird/specialized multi socket thing.

If you have four PCs then buy four power cords.

Quite nice then :biggrin:

There are 150 Baht shake to connect connections..

spark.jpg.2a280a5766ae33adf93bd16c888f4e21.jpg

And there are medical and server applications that require reliable connections..

powerstrip.jpg.0830b17d086c5a5f94f910e4a8a0ab3e.jpg

I thought I would take a look inside and see what I got for 150 Baht ???? Well it seems very well made and the metal box looks powder coated and the electrical work looks very good , sad its not going to be very useful ☹️

The small push button unit looks like some thing Ive seen on Ebay ?

open.png

Breaker.png

1 minute ago, Fruit Trader said:

There are 150 Baht shake to connect connections..

spark.jpg.2a280a5766ae33adf93bd16c888f4e21.jpg

And there are medical and server applications that require reliable connections..

powerstrip.jpg.0830b17d086c5a5f94f910e4a8a0ab3e.jpg

The CSC Power extension is some thing that Ive had bad experiences with when I purchased one from Tesco Lotus ????

Just now, MrScratch said:

The CSC Power extension is some thing that Ive had bad experiences with when I purchased one from Tesco Lotus ????

The best place for them is in the trash but to be sure to put a hammer through it first.

2 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

They wear out pretty fast and give you an amazing surprise when you're trying to change the fuse, still plugged in! 

3 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I thought I would take a look inside and see what I got for 150 Baht ???? Well it seems very well made and the metal box looks powder coated and the electrical work looks very good , sad its not going to be very useful ☹️

open.png

Really really not bad.

And very important but rare in Thailand is that it has the earth line connected, even to the casing.

The CSC from tesco has NO earth. And i do have a a metal cased power bar with breaker and switches, it has 3 wires cables and 3 prongs sockets, guess what.. inside the earth is not even connected.

A keeper, with the right cables it is usefull.

No special protection against surges and no filters but it has a breaker for overloading and shorts.

Rgds

2 hours ago, donim said:

Really really not bad.

And very important but rare in Thailand is that it has the earth line connected, even to the casing.

The CSC from tesco has NO earth. And i do have a a metal cased power bar with breaker and switches, it has 3 wires cables and 3 prongs sockets, guess what.. inside the earth is not even connected.

A keeper, with the right cables it is usefull.

No special protection against surges and no filters but it has a breaker for overloading and shorts.

Rgds

I did notice that the same shop where I purchased the unit for 150 Baht , also had the correct cables with the correct plugs on the end to fit all the outlets on the unit for sale .

There were only 2 units for sale on the shelf , both with very dusty display boxes . Looks like they had been there for a long time .????

• 1 month later...

Archived