Will Out Of State Consulates Accept Applications?

I reside in Los Angeles and usually deal with the LA Thai consulate. We all know what a joy that can be given the hurdles you have to jump through obtaining visa's.

Can I mail my application to the Denver consulate for issuance or will they tell me to utilize the Los Angeles conulate? Maybe if I say I am travelling extensively within the states.

Looking for peoples insight and experiences.

Have done the obligatory searches but no specific answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance.

Hey

I can only answer your question with my experience as a British Citizen living in the USA as a LPR. I reside in Florida and when I called the Consulate in Florida, I asked if I could go to any Consulate for the Issuance of the Visa.

I was told that due to me being an LPR, I would need to attend the Consulate in Person, but I could attend any Consulate, without regard to which state I was residing in.

In the end, due to the coup, I have delayed my plans for 18 months an after speaking to the Consul in Hull UK and the fact that I will be returning to the UK for approx. 3 months before travelling to Thailand, I will now be getting my Visa from the UK.

Hope this helps. Kind regards

Peter

I reside in Los Angeles and usually deal with the LA Thai consulate. We all know what a joy that can be given the hurdles you have to jump through oWbtaining visa's.

Can I mail my application to the Denver consulate for issuance or will they tell me to utilize the Los Angeles conulate? Maybe if I say I am travelling extensively within the states.

Thanks in advance.

Yes,,,,,,,,,,,What I did for my first retirement visa was contacted a lawer in Houston Tx and then forwarded all needed paper work.passport ect. and within two weeks had oa visa and multi entry so when I arrived in Thailand was good for a year and then renewed here........Hope this helps.......

I reside in Los Angeles and usually deal with the LA Thai consulate. We all know what a joy that can be given the hurdles you have to jump through obtaining visa's.

Thanks in advance.

strictly legally speaking the LA consulate exercises territorial jurisdiction over LA, which is where u live. mail applications outside of consulate jurisdiction are considered illegal under thai law.

this is just the law, by the letter of the law. it is common practice for applicants to cross jurisdictions for a number of reasons such as traveling for example.

as long as u get the visa applied for there is no problem at all. if u get turned down, (highly unlikely), just redirect ur mail application to a different consulate.

theory and practice are two different animals.

good luck

Gentleman,

Thank you all for the replies, greatly appreciated.

Do consulates have the same forms? Can I download forms from the Royal Thai embassy site ( http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm ) to be sent to Boston or Denver consulates?

When I talked to Consul in Boston, I was told that it doesn't matter where I get the application. She was very informative and helpful to the point of emailing me when my passport arrived at her office.. Believe it or not but she is not even a Thai, she is an American. I called the consulate first to ask if it is O'K if I delete account number from my bank statement that was attached to the application. I did it to prevent identity deft and she said it was fine. They only required that I show $500 in my account..

Non-immigrant "O" visa.

Greg,

Admittedly, I don't read all that comes along on this forum -- but most of it. And I don't recall seeing anything in the past that showed Thai consulates in the US -- both MFA and honorary -- nor the Thai Embassy -- requiring proof of money in the bank as a requirement for a Non Imm O visa. Yes, a Non Imm O-A requires money in the bank. And recently Singapore started requiring money in the bank as a requirement for a Non Imm O. But your report, while certainly not a show stopper, just an added irritant, is interesting. I wonder if Singapore -- and now Boston -- are reacting to some MFA wisperings -- 'cause there's nothing out there in writing about bank account requirements for Non Imm O visas, at least that I'm familiar with.

What was the basis of your Non Imm O? Maybe that's where I'm bogging down, as I'm married to a Thai, and use that as my basis for getting my Non Imm O from Houston -- which two months ago didn't want to see my bank book.

And only $500? What comfort would that give to MFA authorities?

Anyway, another wrinkle in visa requirements keeps things interesting around here.

Just a wild guess here, but $500 at the currency exchange rates last year, would have been 20,000 baht, which coincidentally is the amount theoretically required at some border crossings. Not that land borders are asking to see 10K or 20K baht, or that most of them ever did.

PB is right and it is an official requirement. Not all Consulates check it closely but it is required as per this from Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and is a requirement for all normal visas:

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Non-immigrant "O" visa.

Greg,

Admittedly, I don't read all that comes along on this forum -- but most of it. And I don't recall seeing anything in the past that showed Thai consulates in the US -- both MFA and honorary -- nor the Thai Embassy -- requiring proof of money in the bank as a requirement for a Non Imm O visa. Yes, a Non Imm O-A requires money in the bank. And recently Singapore started requiring money in the bank as a requirement for a Non Imm O. But your report, while certainly not a show stopper, just an added irritant, is interesting. I wonder if Singapore -- and now Boston -- are reacting to some MFA wisperings -- 'cause there's nothing out there in writing about bank account requirements for Non Imm O visas, at least that I'm familiar with.

What was the basis of your Non Imm O? Maybe that's where I'm bogging down, as I'm married to a Thai, and use that as my basis for getting my Non Imm O from Houston -- which two months ago didn't want to see my bank book.

And only $500? What comfort would that give to MFA authorities?

Anyway, another wrinkle in visa requirements keeps things interesting around here.

The basis for my Non-immigrant "O" visa was support of a Thai child. I was also very surprised that all they wanted to see was $500. The bank statement was from my US bank account. I hope everything will be as easy when I try to get a new visa later this year.

Maybe the Boston honorary consulate has always done this. Don't really recall seeing much dialogue here about their operation.

But, from some other recent threads, seems there is some whip cracking going on with the honorary consulates. I guess the authorities *do* read this forum.

Nevertheless, honorary consulates -- all staffed by locals -- would seem to remain the most hassle free means of obtaining a visa. And the postmark on the envelope of your application doesn't seem to be a problem with any of them -- at least in the States.

However, "visiting my friend in Patpong" may no longer hack it as Non Imm O rationale. :o