Traditional Thai formal wear please recommend

konisaan

Need to hire or buy couple of those traditional Thai silk/satin 'coats' that Thai men wear at weddings or formal occasions. Don't know what they're called. High collar, cloth buttons.

If anyone can recommend a formal hire or tailor that does this sort of thing I would appreciate it.

Picture below1254014827_Chan-ocha(1)-01.jpeg.9da3ed2c3c4d150df9950b96189e6265.jpeg

My mom in law makes silk, including the procedure of feeding the silkworms, etc...

Ask some foreigners who've been here longer, they should know where you can get handwoven silk. 

Do not buy these fake Indian silk you can see almost everywhere, you will regret it. 

Try to find somebody who makes silk, go to a tailor shop and get some made for you. 

Dozens of shops around Chinatown/ Bang Mo in BKK, so I'm sure you can window shop in CM.  Look for the shops that have the Thai traditional ladies' garb in the windows.

Mine cost around 4,500 all in and fit decently off the rack.  DO NOT FORGET the extra long white socks!

BTW, I'm not claiming mine was wedding attire quality.  But how many times do you really expect to pull it out of the closet?

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

the Lanna village (?i think that's what it's called?) shopping area at Airport Central Plaza in the past had several shops that had many nice Thai traditional formal wear options (colors/styles). imho it appeared to be high quality and reasonably priced.

Edited by MickeyDelux
  • Like 1