Blue Screen Crash. Help?

persianpower

Blue screen crash. Help?

I need a pro´s help. I recently had a crash in Windows that´s left me baffled. I was watching a video on my laptop, when I suddenly heard a wierd noise. I ignored it at first, but it kept creepìng up on me. Eventually, the noise lead to a crash, and the blue screen came up. Here´s what it said (in brief)

Kernal_Data_Inpage_Error

***STOP: oX0000007A (and 4 more successive blocks of numbers (just like this one) but containing a combination of 10 different characters & numbers)

then it wrote

atapi.sys

It started to dump physical memory

physical memory dump complete

Through the process, a tapping noise could be heard coming from inside the latop (almost sounded like a clicking clock)

I recently installed a video code called Vp7 from On2 technologies, is that the culprit? I needed to watch a video. That´s the only reason I installed it. Other than that, no other installations recently except of course, windows updates.

Another strange occurance, three seemingly harmless programs have added themsevlves to startup. Without my doing. They are

mHotkey.exe

Soundman.exe

and scardsvr.exe ( i dont recognize this one)

Also, after a few crashes, I decided to enter BIOS (everything looked ok there), and then at one particular boot, the operating system failed to load. I swear I didn´t change any BIOS settings. In fact, on boot, it says BIOS is shadowed now.

What do I do? I can´t load Windows? I can´t even load safe mode. I can only enter Bios, that´s about it, and it looks normal in BIOS.

Help

I run Windows Home edition

Yup, I'd go with a hard drive failure, from the little info you have provided your system starts and sees all the hardware then windows tries to boot and stalls i.e. just stops, this is a classic sign that there are areas on your hard drive containing vital boot files that have become corrupt/unreadable, my advice to you right now would be go get another hard drive, install your operating system on the new drive, then connect your old drive to the machine via modular bay or USB and try to recover your data,

Dead hard drive by the sound of it. Hope you've got a backup :o

What makes you think that?

It's a Kernel error, with paging in/out. The poster did not even say what Win he has, what SP, nothing.

Could be, it has not been said, there was a dialer that came with the videos that may exhibit exactly the same symptom. A few minutes and then clicking and thicking and - no dial out line - it goes into BSD.

One thing I would agree, a backup may be needed, but not due to the HDD fault.

My first inclination is also HDD failure, when you try and boot, the system initiation screens should tell you stages of the bootup (does your system get this far?) if yes, what happens when it tries reading the hard drive? If the HDD is dead it shouldn't be able to read the volume No./ID code. Without the machine being in front of me can't tell you exactly, but like the above posters have pointed out, this seems most likely. I had a fault IDE ribbon that showed up a fault just like this a few months ago (error message), how ever my HDD didn't make any weird noises

Edited by solent01

It's a Kernel error, with paging in/out. The poster did not even say what Win he has, what SP, nothing.

Could be, it has not been said, there was a dialer that came with the videos that may exhibit exactly the same symptom. A few minutes and then clicking and thicking and - no dial out line - it goes into BSD.

Unusual clicking noises immediately before the failure, followed by the death of the atapi driver. He has XP Home (last line).

Machine no longer starts at all.

Limited info I know but the symptoms are classic drive death.

Unusual clicking noises immediately before the failure, followed by the death of the atapi driver. He has XP Home (last line).

Machine no longer starts at all.

Limited info I know but the symptoms are classic drive death.

That clicking could be probing of comms and modem connections - things nasty suff does once it gets in.

That clicking could be probing of comms and modem connections - things nasty suff does once it gets in.

It could be many things, given the limited information we have we should agree to differ here, at least until the OP comes back with what he's done to repair the beast.

My opinion (to which I am entitled) is HDD failure, yours (to which you are also entitled) is something else, without seeing the machine I doubt either of us can be certain.

The site from which he downloaded the codec seems legit.

CDNVICs suggestion of trying a repair should give a clue, it will certainly flag a dead drive should that be the problem.

I guess persionpower might have got the solution till now, as the senior members have guided him very well. If still you are sticked up with the problem and your data/ video is still inaccessible, then you can try hard drive repair software to retriev back data.

And above all BACKUP is the most important thing in todays scenario..

Hope this helps!!!!

I had a simular problem a while ago. Watching movies from the laptop on the bed.....strange sounds and bang..

Found out later, after they replace the hard disk under warranty, that I blocked the air intake while the laptop lying on the bed. Just fried itself.