Weather warning tour cancellations spur new ‘reviewed’ advisory

webfact

Weather warning tour cancellations spur new ‘reviewed’ advisory

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1559016636_1-org.jpg

Tourists enjoy snokelling off Coral Island on Sunday (May 26), despite an official weather warning issued for the area. Photo: Guide Janny / Nikorn Marine Phuket

PHUKET Following a slew of complaints from tourism operators over official weather warnings unnecessarily causing large-scale booking cancellations, the Tourism Business and Guide Registration Office (TGBRO) Region 2 in Phuket will soon start issuing its own weather advisories.

TGBRO Region 2 Chief Atipong Sangsilp told The Phuket News that his office had received many complaints from tourism operators, especially those in the boat tour industry.

The complaints centred on recent official weather advisories warning of heavy rain and strong wind-waves for Phuket and the surrounding region, resulting in large numbers of cancellations by tourists believing that Phuket was in for bad weather. Instead, Phuket during recent days experienced nothing but clear skies and gentle breezes.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/weather-warning-tour-cancellations-spur-new-reviewed-advisory-71566.php#8TbAZTjUezTRhGLw.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-28

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

the Tourism Business and Guide Registration Office (TGBRO) Region 2 in Phuket will soon start issuing its own weather advisories.

In order to ensure that no problems occur in the future on the island of Phuket, here is my suggestion. This weather rock shows precise and up to the minute coverage. As a side note, there have been numerous locals ask in all sincerity if this system is accurate. I have reassured them that it has never failed...

weather rock.jpg

Edited by missoura

Typical and ridiculous. To hell with the truth about the weather or if it could be dangerous ... just hood-wink and BS the tourists into turning up and then it's too late as the greedy tour companies have their money already. Stunning contempt for anything other than more money.   

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Typical and ridiculous. To hell with the truth about the weather or if it could be dangerous ... just hood-wink and BS the tourists into turning up and then it's too late as the greedy tour companies have their money already. Stunning contempt for anything other than more money.   

Nonsense.

TMD is time and time again coming out with wrong forecasts, warnings when unnecessary, or with warnings when it is too late, no warning when there should have been one or simply omit warnings and claim there was one afterwards.

A new way of advisory conditions is urgently required.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense.

TMD is time and time again coming out with wrong forecasts, warnings when unnecessary, or with warnings when it is too late, no warning when there should have been one or simply omit warnings and claim there was one afterwards.

Better safe than sorry !

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense.

Well I find them okay. I look at their charts, radar and satellite images and they are just as accurate as me.????

3 hours ago, the guest said:

Better safe than sorry !

Yes, better safe than sorry based on reliable information, which is available.

As mentioned, tmd doesn't warn when it should and warns when it shouldn't. Both have unwanted consequences, and are unnecessary.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, keith101 said:

Are they going to employ a qualified person to give their own reports and who will have the finger pointed at them if they make a mistake and someone dies .

To be fair, the predicted storms didn't materialise - but did any of the boat tour/diving boats pay any attention to the warnings?

Genuine question, as I don't know.

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

To be fair, the predicted storms didn't materialise - but did any of the boat tour/diving boats pay any attention to the warnings?

Genuine question, as I don't know.

Of course they took notice. But with all other weather sites indicating calm weather they all ignored the warning. And surprisingly also on the TMD website was no warning.