My Grass Is Suffering From The Heat.

The hot weather is doing my garden a lot of damage. There are more and more brown patches and in one or two spots the grass has almost totally given up. I water every night, but it just isn’t enough. I have in the past tried various sprinklers, but the water pressure is not enough to even keep them going. I plan on making my own sprinklers tomorrow, which might help. Am I right in thinking that I am best off watering at night?

What I am wondering about is if it is possible for me to sprinkle grass seeds on the brown spots to try to bring the grass back. Or is there any kind of formula I could put on the grass to help it?

Alternatively, are there any specifically heat resistant grass that I could introduce? I have seen the broad leaved grass, which is maybe more hardy and less thirsty. If so I wonder how I would introduce this grass.

Any advice welcome.

There is no gardening forum, so I have posted here. Feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

The hot weather is doing my garden a lot of damage. There are more and more brown patches and in one or two spots the grass has almost totally given up. I water every night, but it just isn’t enough. I have in the past tried various sprinklers, but the water pressure is not enough to even keep them going. I plan on making my own sprinklers tomorrow, which might help. Am I right in thinking that I am best off watering at night?

What I am wondering about is if it is possible for me to sprinkle grass seeds on the brown spots to try to bring the grass back. Or is there any kind of formula I could put on the grass to help it?

Alternatively, are there any specifically heat resistant grass that I could introduce? I have seen the broad leaved grass, which is maybe more hardy and less thirsty. If so I wonder how I would introduce this grass.

Any advice welcome.

There is no gardening forum, so I have posted here. Feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Most people have trouble keeping it green during March and April, lol. Night watering is the best I was always told, but in my mooban, the gardener almost floods the grass, with a big water pump (pumped from the storm drain). It sits like that for about an hour a day, drains off, and stays nice and green throughout the hot season. Not sure if this is weird or not, but it works.

I have a similar problem and hope to see some responses. In my case, pretty much all the grass is brown now. Wondering if the ground was tilled and seeds planted would work or to put down new sod grass. Seems watering does nothing for it now so suspect it is all dead grass.

Any advice welcome.

Most people have trouble keeping it green during March and April, lol. Night watering is the best I was always told, but in my mooban, the gardener almost floods the grass, with a big water pump (pumped from the storm drain). It sits like that for about an hour a day, drains off, and stays nice and green throughout the hot season. Not sure if this is weird or not, but it works.

dont water every night, it's the worst thing you can do

water once or twice tops, but give it a good soak, real good, it makes the roots go deeper.

Well my grass is well green!!!

Watering in the day, just causes scorching. :D At night give it a good soak, I do recommend that you put top soil and some sand, on the brown patches, (soap if you have brown patches in yer shorts.) :D

Evenly spread it out and then add grass seeds. Bear in mind; that the seeds can cause an adverse affect on the grass, as they need plenty of water, as the chemical IN THE SEEDS burn the new grass.

Water every other day, and you will see some results, NORMALLY after the first week. Repeat this process for the first couple of months until it's lush green and you should be able to invite your neighbors round for a couple of cold ones! :o

Also, remember the grass isn't like what we westerners are used to. Sit on it only wearing your shorts and you will certainly realize the term, "ants in yer pants" :D

Signed Percy Thrower!!!

Every other day? That’s new to me. Providing I can convince the wife I will try that.

After over two years of trying various manufactured sprinklers I constructed three. They work great and even work with a very low pressure we have here. I am hoping they might make a difference.

Every other day? That’s new to me. Providing I can convince the wife I will try that.

After over two years of trying various manufactured sprinklers I constructed three. They work great and even work with a very low pressure we have here. I am hoping they might make a difference.

Please, Share your design!!

Please, Share your design!!

Yes, like pumpuiman says - would be interested also.

The hot weather is doing my garden a lot of damage. There are more and more brown patches and in one or two spots the grass has almost totally given up. I water every night, but it just isn't enough. I have in the past tried various sprinklers, but the water pressure is not enough to even keep them going. I plan on making my own sprinklers tomorrow, which might help. Am I right in thinking that I am best off watering at night?

Any advice welcome.

sounds like your grass needs a little fertilizer. Buy some Phosphorus (NPK) fertilizer, apply with a large overnight watering then do not water for 7-8 days. The watering should penetrate 4 to 5 cm into the topsoil. For a second boost, buy some Urea (46-0-0) and apply with an even stronger watering, but only do this after the NPK fertilizer treatment is done. NB: Fertilizer can be a great herbicide if not used properly.

The hot weather is doing my garden a lot of damage. There are more and more brown patches and in one or two spots the grass has almost totally given up. I water every night, but it just isn't enough. I have in the past tried various sprinklers, but the water pressure is not enough to even keep them going. I plan on making my own sprinklers tomorrow, which might help. Am I right in thinking that I am best off watering at night?

Any advice welcome.

sounds like your grass needs a little fertilizer. Buy some Phosphorus (NPK) fertilizer, apply with a large overnight watering then do not water for 7-8 days. The watering should penetrate 4 to 5 cm into the topsoil. For a second boost, buy some Urea (46-0-0) and apply with an even stronger watering, but only do this after the NPK fertilizer treatment is done. NB: Fertilizer can be a great herbicide if not used properly.

NPK fertiliser isn't purely phosphorus, the N=nitrogen, P=phosphorus and K=potassium (chemical symbols), they come in different ratios, so you have to specify.

A great fertiliser is chook poo, you cant apply it direct, you have to age it, one way is to make a solution with water, leave it for a coupla weeks, then apply and water in thouroughly.

My comments about watering still apply, 2 deep waterings per week will encourage deep root growth.

For what it's worth, my wife protects from the sun the patches where the grass starts to dry, by covering them loosely with large palm tree leaves during the day. I guess a black net would work as well (the type that is used over some car parks). It doesn't look very nice having those leaves lying around, but the grass survives. We water every evening too.

Edit: Spelling mistake

Edited by pete_r

Here is my self made sprinkler.

It isn't anything different or revolutionary, it’s just that all the ones I have bought from the hardware store have not functioned under low water pressure, and unless used regularly they cease up. I am only referring to the cheap <300baht ones.

This one that I made works very well under low pressure and has an effective soak diameter of about 30 feet. I cost me around 100 Baht and ten minutes to make.

post-33112-1173697333_thumb.jpg

Here is my self made sprinkler.

It isn't anything different or revolutionary, it’s just that all the ones I have bought from the hardware store have not functioned under low water pressure, and unless used regularly they cease up. I am only referring to the cheap <300baht ones.

This one that I made works very well under low pressure and has an effective soak diameter of about 30 feet. I cost me around 100 Baht and ten minutes to make.

Hi Richb

Fiendishly clever, think i'll knock one up myself!!!!

TBWG :o

Any advice welcome.

NPK fertiliser isn't purely phosphorus, the N=nitrogen, P=phosphorus and K=potassium (chemical symbols), they come in different ratios, so you have to specify.

A great fertiliser is chook poo, you cant apply it direct, you have to age it, one way is to make a solution with water, leave it for a coupla weeks, then apply and water in thouroughly.

My comments about watering still apply, 2 deep waterings per week will encourage deep root growth.

Not really fussy to be honest. I would get something higher for the "p and k" components, N-P-K go easy on the nitrogen to start. ie 5-10-10. To be honest, I have not checked to see what is available in the Thai market for some time as I prepare compost myself. Points to note are, choose as low as you can for Potassium, as your grass is already weak, use only a small sprinkling, like 50 grams over 4 metres squ is more than enough. The other recommendation would be to create verticle slices into the grassed area about 10cm apart. Do this in a checker pattern throughout the area to allow for increased aeration of the soil.

Your mixture reminds me of a super poo fertilzier my great aunt used to brew up. Using a 44 gallon drum (now the 200 litre) fill 1/3rd with sheep manure, 1/3rd horse manure. Soak, stire and leave to settle for about 2 weeks (same and you suggest). Her pumkins could weight up to 40 plus kilos, they were nothing short of amazing. All friut were large, but still retained great flavour. Guess the sheep dung will be a bit hard to find in Thailand!! Cheers