Taking perfume into Thailand

7by7

Not sure if this is the right forum; Mods, please move if required.

We are soon to travel from the UK to Thailand for a family visit and holiday.

My wife works for Boots and recently her branch allowed staff members to buy used and unused perfume samplers very cheaply. She bought a number and wants to take them with us as gifts for family and friends.

She has been told by a Thai friend that there is no restriction on the amount she can take into Thailand because they are gifts and many have been opened and partly used.

Just want to make sure this is true. Maybe the opened ones will be OK, but what about the unopened ones?

Anyone know?

I've done a search for duty free allowances, but can only find tobacco and alcohol. Does this mean perfume has no restriction, or has no duty free allowance, or even not allowed at all? Or am I looking in the wrong place!?

Probably not up to date, however, this is what I found on Dr. Google: Import of "regularly amount of toiletries and perfume for personal use is allowed." Trust you should also have a certain amount of "gifts in value of..." as Import duty free allowance.

As said, not sure (who can be sure in Thailand) - what I also found is this E-Mail address which is from Thai customs: [email protected]

Bottomline, I personally would just walk in with an innocent face.

23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I've done a search for duty free allowances, but can only find tobacco and alcohol. Does this mean perfume has no restriction, or has no duty free allowance, or even not allowed at all? Or am I looking in the wrong place!?

As far as I remember, you are right. Specific amounts given only for alcohol and tobacco.

Thailand customs allows visitors to enter Thailand with personal effects, the value of which does not exceed 80,000 Baht, without paying import fees as long as: 1) the items are specifically for personal or professional use; 2) the amount of goods are reasonable; and 3) the items are not subject to restriction or prohibition. 

"Personal" and "reasonable": even in the very unlikely case that she is stopped I really would not be concerned from what you describe.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Custom-Immigration

Archived