Has anyone ever sub-divided land for town house development in Thailand?

I found 6 rai for sale which has Chanote title. The vendor has excavated her land next door and intends to build town houses. We've heard that she is in debt and has cash issues. Its stunning land with views of mountains and close to the cbd. 

Ive bought and sold several houses back home but never done a development over here. 

Questions

1. How difficult is it to split up an existing Chanote into several titles if I want to build town houses and sell them off. 

2. If 1 is technically not possible what type of title is granted for individual town houses if a development is successful

3. Anyone have any guesstimates for the average cost per rai to excavate 1 rai with gravel/ soil to raise the levels by at least 1 meter  thus ensure its not flood prone- as its been done in the photo.

I intend to go and see the attorney soon but thought I would see if anyone has done it recently and can thus comment 

IMG_5550.jpg

16 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Questions

1. How difficult is it to split up an existing Chanote into several titles if I want to build town houses and sell them off. 

2. If 1 is technically not possible what type of title is granted for individual town houses if a development is successful

3. Anyone have any guesstimates for the average cost per rai to excavate 1 rai with gravel/ soil to raise the levels by at least 1 meter  thus ensure its not flood prone- as its been done in the photo.

I intend to go and see the attorney soon but thought I would see if anyone has done it recently and can thus comment 

1.  Well not too difficult just a lot of toing and froing with paperwork, drawings etc to local gov offices, PEA electric & PWA water supplier.

2.  You get a house book for each individual house whether it has deeds, awaiting deeds, leasehold awaiting deeds or leasehold. 

3.  I take it you don't mean to excavate you want a ( load infill ) by tipper lorry loads.

We used the usual size fly tipper lorries ???? to infill with earth mostly clay they were 300 baht a lorry tip and we counted 70 loads can't be sure of area covered as we were leveling out the undulated land area.

For gravel stone I think they were 700 baht a tip but don't hold me to that.

Just to add we didn't need or use any lawyers it can all be carried out with just toing and froing with our local gov office.

Hope that's of some help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

1.  Well not too difficult just a lot of toing and froing with paperwork, drawings etc to local gov offices, PEA electric & PWA water supplier.

2.  You get a house book for each individual house whether it has deeds, awaiting deeds, leasehold awaiting deeds or leasehold. 

3.  I take it you don't mean to excavate you want a ( load infill ) by tipper lorry loads.

We used the usual size fly tipper lorries ???? to infill with earth mostly clay they were 300 baht a lorry tip and we counted 70 loads can't be sure of area covered as we were leveling out the undulated land area.

For gravel stone I think they were 700 baht a tip but don't hold me to that.

Just to add we didn't need or use any lawyers it can all be carried out with just toing and froing with our local gov office.

Hope that's of some help. 

Thanks for your reply. So are you saying its possible to split up an existing Chanote at the land office into several separate titles?

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Thanks for your reply. So are you saying its possible to split up an existing Chanote at the land office into several separate titles?

No problem to split an existing Chanote into what ever sizes you require.

Regarding the landfill best to get the cost before you make the land deal, I found if you pay per truck they will not provide a full load. In Chiang Rai I was quoted 55O Baht for the 6 wheel tipper but went for a total cost for 1 rai, raised the original height around 40cm

6 Rai @ 1 meter may be big bucks depending on your location and how far they need to bring from.

IMG_1418.JPG

Edited by Isan Farang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Not exactly in a nutshell, Thai style Yes. ????

• Haha 1

1) yes, chanot, and other deeds, can be subdivided. As far as I know deeds can be split into max 9 plots, including donor/mother plot in a 4 year period. It might be prudent to check local planning laws to see if better to split before or after planning permission is received. Here we have extra environmental laws dictating a plot must be 400m2 or more to get planning. So if you wish to make <400m2 plots here must get planning FIRST, then split :).

2) you can sell land and put construction/sale contract in name of buyer or buyers juristic person.  Or rent for 30 years max in persons name.

3) backfill costs vary massively upon location...and who you know ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigFun said:

1) yes, chanot, and other deeds, can be subdivided. As far as I know deeds can be split into max 9 plots, including donor/mother plot in a 4 year period. It might be prudent to check local planning laws to see if better to split before or after planning permission is received. Here we have extra environmental laws dictating a plot must be 400m2 or more to get planning. So if you wish to make <400m2 plots here must get planning FIRST, then split :).

2) you can sell land and put construction/sale contract in name of buyer or buyers juristic person.  Or rent for 30 years max in persons name.

3) backfill costs vary massively upon location...and who you know ????

Re point 3 totally agree you may also want to check if there is any excavation occurring anywhere near your land as the further away it has to be delivered the higher the cost

Also make sure you have someone to count the loads delivered.

• Like 1