Non-immigrant O Extentions

Hi,Does anybody know or have had any experience with immigration officers visting married couples homes after applying for a 1 year extention?

I've heard about them doing this or wanting to see photos of your house/apartment & calling neighbours etc.

I'm curious to know if they do this to everybody or just some people and what questions they ask you,your wife or neighbours.

Do they make appointments?(what if your not home?)

If you live in an apartment block,who do they talk to?(reception?)

What if your neighbour doesn't like you or is jealous of your wifes money situation or something twisted and would like to lie about you out of spite?(not everybody is normal).

I'm interested to hear about peoples encounters with these situations and if it's not as daunting as it seems.

Thanks

Two investigators came by my apartment the other day to verify that I was married. Asked a few questions and talked to a couple neighbors and wanted to see my rental agreement. I found them to be professional and polite.

We are a legitimate couple so it was painless.

All of our Bangkok-area clients for extensions based on marriage are visited.

Photos of happy coule at home are REQUIRED when submitting application for extensions, and Thai wife MUST accompany applicant to Immigration on date that application is submitted.

In several cases, inspectors conducting the home inspection visit just spoke to security gurads, rental office manager, or housekeeper. I suppose this decision is based on whether the pattern of initial investigation "smells fishy". All of our clients have been legitimate.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Normal procedure when applying for a Non "O" extension, whether first time or not.

I don't think they make an appointment, just turn up.

The first time my wife showed them the wedding photos.

They also what someone local to vouch that you do really live together.

We live in Sri Racha, but there is a local immigration office because of the port.

As Jef Jarvis said, quite painless, if you are genuine!!

Edited by astral

It must depend on where you live, we have never had the immigration officers over for a visit. But then, maybe they figure that after 15 years of marriage (and nearly 12 of extensions) that we are legitimate couple :D

Any other people using Samui immigration ever get visited? How about Phuket? Maybe island immigration officers are more relaxed :o

All of our Bangkok-area clients for extensions based on marriage are visited.

Photos of happy coule at home are REQUIRED when submitting application for extensions, and Thai wife MUST accompany applicant to Immigration on date that application is submitted.

In several cases, inspectors conducting the home inspection visit just spoke to security gurads, rental office manager, or housekeeper. I suppose this decision is based on whether the pattern of initial investigation "smells fishy". All of our clients have been legitimate.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Applying for my visa last april, the immigration asked me to provide some photos showing me and my wife as happily married couple. The lady officer in charge was very polite, so I decided to invite her for a home inspection including a fine dinner.

Unfortunately she turned down my invitation, informing me that such an inspection would be UNUSUAL! My experience seems to be different from your comment.

WC

The people who you deal with in the Suan Phlu admin offices are not the people who do the inspections. The "field agent" inspectors are a separate group - inspections are all they do.

Immigration has a limited jurisdiction. Beyond their limits (I'm not sure where the border is), they ask local police office in your area to do the inspection. I know that Nothaburi/Chang Wattana/Pakkred is beyond their limit, because we just dealt with that local police precinct after it was tasked to inspect one of our clients.

Cheers!

Steve

my wife and i had a visit from the local police at our home, then we went along to the police station with a neighbour 2 days later where we where interviewed, they where very polite and signed paperwork allowing my extension.

:o

The people who you deal with in the Suan Phlu admin offices are not the people who do the inspections. The "field agent" inspectors are a separate group - inspections are all they do.

Immigration has a limited jurisdiction. Beyond their limits (I'm not sure where the border is), they ask local police office in your area to do the inspection. I know that Nothaburi/Chang Wattana/Pakkred is beyond their limit, because we just dealt with that local police precinct after it was tasked to inspect one of our clients.

Cheers!

Steve

Ok, I get your point. But in my case also no visit from a "field agent". So probably one cannot generalize this inspections. It seems to be "a case by case" decision.

WC

It seems to be a painless process but if your not home i guess they will just talk to some people in that apartment block.

In my case we are legitimate but my wife has just opened a clothes shop with her friend(something they have been wanting to do for years)which means she's not always here & i don't stay in everyday either(too boring)so i don't know what will happen in our situation.We have wedding photos,lots of pics of us happy together & everyone sees us walking around laughing & holding hands etc.

Anyone in a similar situation?Them just showing up doesn't seem professional to me.Not everyone sits at home all day.

Cheers

We have never had any visits from officials to confirm our marriage. We have a kid who come with us to the interview and of course we have all the required paperwork, birth certificates etc, maybe that makes a difference.

I had to provide photos etc when I first applied and I had to take my wife for the initial application. I was glad that I did because she talked with a friendly lady at Suan Pluand we had no problems. We also had a visit as well.

When I renewed this year my wife came for the first interview only and no other problems after that.

I will be going again tomorrow as I had to get another passport and the same lady at Suan Plu said that my current visa would be extended to complete the full year instead of the 8 months I was given. She also told me that my wife does not need to come this time.

I have had no problems (touch wood) and find that all the people are helpful and friendly at Suan Plu.