Police Pulled Over My Taxi And Asked Me Out

Doza

Happened Sun morning about 4am in soi 11. Normal taxi driving along with 2 guys and 2 girls, all farang, and came to a few cops manning the street who looked in, saw we were farang and asked us to step out.

They then did a pocket search, tho we didn't let them put their hands in, checked wallets and sent us on our way.

Anyone else???

I was searched first night ever in this country, almost twice the same night in fact and have been searched maybe 5-6 times since. Never a problem, police just asked for pockets to be emptied, always polite, never had drugs planted on me which is always the story isn't it. :o

Copy of passport has always been enough and my handy tip for the day is if you get stopped and searched tell them you already got searched just down the road and they let you go. Twice that worked (though maybe no good if your in a taxi). :D

Happened Sun morning about 4am in soi 11. Normal taxi driving along with 2 guys and 2 girls, all farang, and came to a few cops manning the street who looked in, saw we were farang and asked us to step out.

They then did a pocket search, tho we didn't let them put their hands in, checked wallets and sent us on our way.

Anyone else???

twice, walking sukhumvit, pocket search and ask for passport, copy sufficed. they where polite.

Anyone else???

I have had several such attempts since the drug war. At one i flat out refused to be searched on the street and told them to get me searched at the police station, where at the same time i would file a case against them for harassment. They have left.

Another time they stopped their search after i showed them an official ID after which they have sent me off politely, apologizing for their rude behavior.

Given the political and social climate now, expect more frequent searches. Be very careful of cops planting drugs, or fake cops, both not exactly unknown here.

Anyone else???

twice, walking sukhumvit, pocket search and ask for passport, copy sufficed. they where polite.

i should have added, recently, as in today and before that about 4weeks ago. so, yes, these are current events.

Yes it has happened to me

6 times in 8 years all by the same police station.

the only time in a taxi was when i came back along soi 26 from tesco's on rama 4 and the police stop and pulled the taxi over.

nothing came of it except to see police officers searching tesco shopping bags and receiving no tea money for their pathetic attempts.

many friends i know have been stopped in this area, from the emprium to ekamai and along rama 4 from tesco's to bangkok university, as this is the juristiction of the tong lor police, who have the worst reputation in bangkok for stopping foreigners.

It is not always a police stop, it can be 2 police on a motorbike looking for lone foreigners walking in that area, who will also stop and search pockets.

i have 2 japanese friends , stopped on seperate occasions and work for suzuki and egat, and were stopped in the same area. The tong lor police have little regard to colour or the way you are dressed in stopping foreigners in that area.

i agree with the other posters that now could get worse in all areas of bangkok and thailand and not just tong lor and the planting of drugs or other techniques are always something we all have to be aware that it could happen to any of us.

Edited by Hampstead

Happened to me about 4 or 5 times. Once walking on Ekkamai and a few while in a taxi. I've never had a problem, but my friend said the cops planted drugs in his Thai friends car when they were coming home from a late night of clubbing. I think in that case they just wanted a bribe since they were in a Mercedes and the cops let them go once they made a withdrawal from an ATM. Ever since hearing this story I have been scared of being searched by police.

Anyone else???

I have had several such attempts since the drug war. At one i flat out refused to be searched on the street and told them to get me searched at the police station, where at the same time i would file a case against them for harassment. They have left.

Another time they stopped their search after i showed them an official ID after which they have sent me off politely, apologizing for their rude behavior.

Given the political and social climate now, expect more frequent searches. Be very careful of cops planting drugs, or fake cops, both not exactly unknown here.

Hahaha,

Fake cops, easy stuff.

Go down to the area near China town where all the gun shops are & there are a few shops selling all police & soldier & commando uniforms etc. Any one can buy the stuff.

A couple thousand baht & you can be decked out like a full police "colonel" add a few more & you get a very realistic replica gun. Make an ID.

And BABY you're on easy street.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

Anyone else???

Hahaha,

Fake cops, easy stuff.

Go down to the area near China town where all the gun shops are & there are a few shops selling all police & soldier & commando uniforms etc. Any one can buy the stuff.

A couple thousand baht & you can be decked out like a full police "colonel" add a few more & you get a very realistic replica gun. Make an ID.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

well, these were real BIB, as they were not 50 yards away from the manned booth occupied by at least 4 positioned cops. try Queens Park.

Anyone else???

Hahaha,

Fake cops, easy stuff.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

But very, very bad if you get caught by the real police. In all likelihood, getting the ribbons in the correct order of precedence would be the hardest part of sorting out the kit for most people.

A tenner for the first TV member to publicly roam around Sukhumvit for half an hour in a Thai cop's uniform!

I've got one in the wardrobe saved for a special occasion. A gift from my father-in-law: comes with the hat, shoes and even a bloody light sabre (traffic stick). When my testicles are sufficiently large enough I'll wear it out for a laugh, until then it stays in the closet.

Fake cops, easy stuff.

there is a guy with crazy eyes on khao san road who does this. he dons the uniform and goes up and down khao san road pretending to be a cop and harassing foreigners. the real police have caught him many times, taken away the uniform. somehow he always ends up back in the same place wearing the same thing. i noticed the real police do't even bother much with him anymore, what can they do really, he is mentally ill. i don't think he extracts fines or anything like that but he likes to play dress up.

Fake cops, easy stuff.

there is a guy with crazy eyes on khao san road who does this. he dons the uniform and goes up and down khao san road pretending to be a cop and harassing foreigners. the real police have caught him many times, taken away the uniform. somehow he always ends up back in the same place wearing the same thing. i noticed the real police do't even bother much with him anymore, what can they do really, he is mentally ill. i don't think he extracts fines or anything like that but he likes to play dress up.

That would be 'dogface' whos real name is Gee ...

Anyway the boys in blue finally took away his uniforms about a year and a half ago and he then turned his hand to a bit of unofficial security/army mercenary work in front of the Buddy lodge before being 'retired' from his various Khaosan positions for good by the BIB again.

He's still hovering around Khaosan road but strictly no uniforms these days. :o

But very, very bad if you get caught by the real police. In all likelihood, getting the ribbons in the correct order of precedence would be the hardest part of sorting out the kit for most people.

Unfortunately it is a very common tactic of intimidation, fraud and extortion here by Mafias to pose as fake cops. Mostly this happens to Thais, but it does occasionally happen to Farang as well.

Is this harassment primarily a Bangkok thing? Lived four years in Isaan, without a single search. OK, one exception. On my way into a city Molam concert at night, the policeman doing bodily searches at the entrance "felt me up" a little more than necessary. (No, I don't keep guns down there, thank you.) But as you guys experienced, all very friendly. :o

Edited by toptuan

Anyone else???

Back in 2002 on the back roads into town from Chatuchak all taxi's were being pulled over. They had big guns with them too.

I had just bought my friend a dog and the big copper was more interested in that than searching us properly. He was saying narak about the dog then asked politely if he could feel my pocket from outside.

The 3 Africans in the taxi behind were not so lucky - they had guns put in their faces.

My friend later explained they were looking for ya ba.

Anyone else???

Hahaha,

Fake cops, easy stuff.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

but I am blond and don't speak one word thai, might that cause some doubts if I am a real thai policeman?? :o

Okay. Questions:

1. How do we recognize fake cops in Thailand?

I just know from other countries that real cops there have to have a name badge, fake ones don't. How is it in Thailand?

2. What to do when you encounter fake ones?

In another country I had a run-in with a fake (wore a traffic uniform, an armlet from the security police and a helmet of the MP. I pretended not to know the language, but addressed him in English and gestures and finally made a show of writing down his license plate number. He ate dust. However, that was the moment I decided I am ripe for a change of country. Who knows what would have happened if he would not have fled?

Any advice?

Anyone else???

Hahaha,

Fake cops, easy stuff.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

A few years ago some fake cops walked into our office in Chonburi and asked for donations for buying bulletproof vests (for the war on drugs @ that time). :D We knew they were fakes, as we donated some voluntary money to the local cop shop for extra vigilance around our yard at night, and they always came in person to collect.... They knew they'd been made, but just lounged around, very unhurried, before leaving .... Obviously operating with the knowledge of the "real" cops, and all proceeds divvied up later, no doubt. We filed a report with the local cops but never heard anything after. Total shower of <deleted>. :o

Okay. Questions:

1. How do we recognize fake cops in Thailand?

I just know from other countries that real cops there have to have a name badge, fake ones don't. How is it in Thailand?

2. What to do when you encounter fake ones?

In another country I had a run-in with a fake (wore a traffic uniform, an armlet from the security police and a helmet of the MP. I pretended not to know the language, but addressed him in English and gestures and finally made a show of writing down his license plate number. He ate dust. However, that was the moment I decided I am ripe for a change of country. Who knows what would have happened if he would not have fled?

Any advice?

Very difficult how to recognize them. I have no idea.

What i do here is, that i always have phone numbers and cards handy of real cops i know, especially from my local police station. If in doubt i would demand to give those a call to establish their identity.

The danger are not only fake cops, but also corrupt real cops from other police stations, and police volunteers posing as cops trying to extort money.

I would advise anyone living here to get to know some cops of your local police station, and also learn how this very complex web between police and their volunteers work.

It is important to know that without a valid warrant issued by the courts police is not anymore allowed to search one's premises.

Don't allow yourself to be intimidated if you have done nothing wrong. Behind the veneer of a modern world things can be very murky in the "Land of Smiles".

My suggestion is if being hassled by any one claiming to be a police officer is to very politely and calmly suggest that any further discussions be undertaken at the local police station or to make a phone call to the tourist police. This will be enough to get rid of the bogus coppers and will pull-into line any real coppers over-stepping the mark.

Myself and three friends (two Thai) were stopped in a taxi, midday busy street.

The cop was walking down the middle of the street, drunk as a skunk.

He made eye contact with the cab driver and started stumbling toward us.

The driver started mumbling the equivalent of "Oh sh1t"

He got to the cab, drew his gun, and started waving it at all of us.

My wife is whispering to me...don't move...don't say anything.

The cabby offers cash....the cop is so plastered he doesn't understand.

The cop all of a sudden turns away, and stumbles down the road again.

Another day in Bangkok.

Some scary tales here. For me, I've only been stopped by the police once in nearly three years, and that was on my third night here.

I was heading back to my hotel in a taxi around 2am. I have no idea what part of the city I was in, as at that time I didn't know much about Bangkok. A police officer stopped my taxi at an intersection and asked to see my passport. I didn't have it with me. He just waved us on and that was all.

In light of some of these stories, I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Edited by jeebusjones

Some scary tales here. For me, I've only been stopped by the police once in nearly three years, and that was on my third night here.

I was heading back to my hotel in a taxi around 2am. I have no idea what part of the city I was in, as at that time I didn't know much about Bangkok. A police officer stopped my taxi at an intersection and asked to see my passport. I didn't have it with me. He just waved us on and that was all.

In light of some of these stories, I guess I've been pretty lucky.

It seems that only those who have tried this thing, is responding here. What would be interesting to know is how large percentage of the members here, have tried to be searched. A poll could do it, I think.

Pattaya City News OnlineOur News is Always New

LATEST NEWS

Saturday 10th March 2007

Angry Shop owner and the Copyright Police raid caught on tape.

An interesting story now from the Dum Phone Shop in South Pattaya. The owner of the shop is Khun Pichai aged 37 who called in journalists to his shop at 10.30pm on Friday regarding an incident which occurred on Wednesday Night at his shop which was caught on tape. He explained that a group of 6 armed men claiming to be Police Officers working in the Copyright Department entered his shop and demanded to inspect his laptop.

Khun Pichai correctly asked the men for their Police Identification Badges and a search warrant issued by the court. Both failed to materialize which aroused suspicion. The 6 men were not polite and one of the men was even carrying his firearm in his hand as if he was either about to use it or was prepared to threaten the shop owner with the weapon. Khun Pichai decided to film the men and gave us a copy of the tape. The men were clearly not happy with the filming and initially demanded the filming to cease. The brave shop owner stated that this was his shop and he was fully within his rights to take the pictures.

Eventually the men decided to leave the shop without checking the laptop despite them wanting to take the man and his computer to Pattaya Police Station for further investigation. Khun Pichai made a police report of the incident on Friday Night and officers at Pattaya Police Station promised to investigate this matter. We have had it confirmed from an anonymous source that the group are genuine Police Officers who will now most likely be disciplined.

We advise all business operators watching this program to not panic if confronted by so-called Copyright Police. Firstly, check their Police ID cards and then demand they produce a search warrant. If neither are produced call the emergency Police number 191 and refuse access to any computer until the local Police arrive.

I remember in the Pre-Taksin days, ITV used to do stings on corrupt police (like secretly filming police officers soliciting bribes etc.) and publicizing the incidents on the news.....those checks and balances (however limited) seem to have completely disappeared .....

Fake cops, easy stuff.

That would be 'dogface' whos real name is Gee ...

Anyway the boys in blue finally took away his uniforms about a year and a half ago and he then turned his hand to a bit of unofficial security/army mercenary work in front of the Buddy lodge before being 'retired' from his various Khaosan positions for good by the BIB again.

He's still hovering around Khaosan road but strictly no uniforms these days. :o

I used to see that guy back in the late 90s walking around in his 'uniform'. As you say, funny eyes, one looks left while the other looks right. I think he liked the sense of power the uniform gave him, although never saw him really harass anyone. It all seemed for show lol.