Beware Termites Beware Some Solutions too!

Formaleins

586038795_Tilesgone.thumb.jpg.b5016969e26f8c7c861012cf5d580e95.jpgWe built our place about 16 years back, we knew there were termites in the area so we installed all of the sub terranean pipe work via a pest control contractor (not one of the big names that have appeared recently). The main structure is wood, and it is supported by wood columns 75%. The roof framing and laths are all wood. all were treated with Chaindrite then a wood preservative. The ground around the house has also been well soaked with Chaindrite and a couple of other "cures" but over the years these little bastards still get in.

All of the wood is hardwood, not teak, but mainly Mai Deng and Mai Padu with a few other types here and there.

Despite the chemicals and the underground pipe system these sub-terranean little mothers still get in and have done some real damage. I have just spent best part of a month removing the crap they leave after they turn your wood to dust and then having to replace beams and laths on my roof and carry out strengthening work with new wood and angle iron only to move my scaffold around the corner and find yet more destruction.

I have posted a few pics, take a look at the brown pile of dirt that amounts to about 500 grams of brown dust. (Old Beam and Termite Residue) That once was a 4-5 Metre roof beam, 6 inches deep and 2 inches thick - you can see the replacement next to it that I now have to try and install. (New Beam and Replacment Beam JPG)

Doesn't seem to matter what you spray or do, they eventually get their food. I am now re doing all of the beams and laths with Sherwood 99, we will see if this one stops them. I will say though, that they only destroy certain wood - (No, Teak is not immune, they can destroy teak just fine depending on its age) But they have totally eaten a 5 metre beam then come to a joint and not been able to touch it despite being what appears to be the very same wood. - Even some of my wood that still has some white "young" wood, or possibly dried sapwood has not been touched yet they have gone through a hardwood beam like butter. So be careful, I would be interested to see what sort of joy anyone is getting from some of the newer "professional" pest control companies that are now here but were no where to be found when I was building.

New Beam .jpg

New Beam

Old Beam.jpg

Termite Damage

Replacment Beam.jpg

Replacement Beam

Termite Residue.jpg

Termite Crud.

Closeup.jpg

This one shows the other roof section where termites have eaten yet another beam and then the laths, weakening the support for the roof tiles and when we had a really violent storm recently, it ripped off 6 or 7 tiles. (these tiles are not small and are not light - Ayara from SCG. You can see where the little <deleted> have been.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Like 2

I feel your pain.  Have had to deal with them off/on for years in the SE USA.  New pest to contend with there are termites that attack from above...finding way to get into your roof instead of the traditional ground attack...

• Like 1

Hopefully recycling some of the posts in this old discussion will help.

I try to check crawl spaces and screen areas for the droppings before I spray .

One thing to look for with the subterranean termites is shown in the photos below.

it looks like something out of a science fiction horror movie, but they use these tunnels to bypass safeguards to get to the wood they want.

The roof termites probably came in on a heat swarm

https://www.terminix.com/blog/science-nature/when-does-the-termite-swarming-season-begin/

.... just wanted to add these photos as a heads up in case you see something like this around your foundation areas as well.

termites_com-termite-nest-under-floor.jpg

tunnel.png

Shoals-Pest-Control-termite-tunnels-001-e1397250010855.jpg

c7a8ffcc2d5b91375a5fad6b31d96daf.jpg

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, banagan said:

Anyone know if laminate flooring is safe from them?

Not sure, but I think laminate is made of compressed paper (so wood). If so, they´ll eat it. I had some once and the ate cardbord as well as linnen

13 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Hopefully recycling some of the posts in this old discussion will help.

I try to check crawl spaces and screen areas for the droppings before I spray .

One thing to look for with the subterranean termites is shown in the photos below.

it looks like something out of a science fiction horror movie, but they use these tunnels to bypass safeguards to get to the wood they want.

The roof termites probably came in on a heat swarm

https://www.terminix.com/blog/science-nature/when-does-the-termite-swarming-season-begin/

.... just wanted to add these photos as a heads up in case you see something like this around your foundation areas as well.

termites_com-termite-nest-under-floor.jpg

tunnel.png

Shoals-Pest-Control-termite-tunnels-001-e1397250010855.jpg

c7a8ffcc2d5b91375a5fad6b31d96daf.jpg

Boy that is horrific!

2 hours ago, pikao said:

Not sure, but I think laminate is made of compressed paper (so wood). If so, they´ll eat it. I had some once and the ate cardbord as well as linen

I have used and have stored, laminate, MDF and chipboard. It looks like it has some sort of treatment as they do not touch it at all. - I would still keep an eye on it as they are crafty little bastards, once in they move very quickly.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I feel your pain.  Have had to deal with them off/on for years in the SE USA.  New pest to contend with there are termites that attack from above...finding way to get into your roof instead of the traditional ground attack...

Well, if you notice at the beginning of the rainy season when the first rains begin we get a huge outpouring of a type of flying insect at night. The locals here call them Meng Mow. They are a bit of a delicacy and when they come out they come out in their millions. Often Thais (my wife included) leave a light on and under the light they place a bucket of water. This attracts the insects and many of them drop into the water and die. These can be sold for over 1000 Baht a KG and are usually fried. However, due to lack of knowledge or just stupidity, they are attracting the flying Bluak - TERMITES!!! So for a few nights every year my missus was lighting up the place like a welcome party for flying termite. The place where the main beams have been destroyed are directly beneath the support that would normally have the light left on! So there you have it, victim of my missus! A photo is included of a game of tennis with flying termites!

MengMow.jpg

Edited by Formaleins