How Long Until Mike Starts Talking About Selling New Restaurant?

Ulysses G.

And maybe Ulysses is building an empire so he can sell the entire chain when he retires.

IF I were to retire, my intention is to give the stores to my employees so that they will have a good source of income now and in the future. That is one of the reasons that we are opening more branches.

It is not easy for good, hard working Thais to earn a decent salary and they have helped me turn the stores into just what I dreamed of since I got here many years ago - comfortable places with plenty of choice of all kinds of titles from intellectual tomes to the best in pulp fiction which could easily be in a Western country.

I'm quite pleased with the progress we have made and they seem to enjoy helping customers and doing new projects to improve the stores, so the sky is the limit.

The more places we have and the more we expand the more people who can earn a good living and I have several new schemes in mind! :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm giving you a heck of a lot free publicity without having to pay for advertising.

it seems like you start a lot of threads about other businesses.

I like to point out and support worthwhile businesses, so that they will be around for a long time.

It's not easy to survive here with SARS, bird flu, terrorist threats, expensive plane tickets, flower festivals during the height of high season, political termoil and pictures of polluted Chiang Mai all over BBC and CNN every day. :o

I like to point out and support worthwhile businesses, so that they will be around for a long time.

It's not easy to survive here with SARS, bird flu, terrorist threats, expensive plane tickets, flower festivals during the height of high season, political termoil and pictures of polluted Chiang Mai all over BBC and CNN every day. :o

I'll drink to that!

I'll drink to that!

bravo, ulysses

I'm giving you a heck of a lot free publicity without having to pay for advertising.

I'd like to second that - a lot of people bitch and sneer at expats who have made the decision to live here in Thailand. Most have sold up and made the commitment to stay. Some have left very good jobs that pay MUCH better than they can get in the LOS but they choose to do so. I didn't come to Thailand because of cheap sex and booze I came here because I like living here. I look at guys like Mike and he isn't a friend of mine, I hardly know the guy, I look at UG - I have bought some books from his stores and read the posts but I don't know him face to face, I look at the guys trying to make a go of a business irrespective of whether it is a hole in the wall bar or a full scale restaurant and hope they do well. Thailand and Chiang Mai needs good businesses, with good management, and foreign skills. As UG wrote it is very hard for any Thai to get a good, well paying job in Thailand. By running businesses and on training the locals we (collecive noun) Farung can help to make this a better place for everyone.

To UG and Mike - I sincerely wish you the best of fortune in your respecitive businesses. If Mike sells his business and track record shows he will as soon as he has made it into a success, I hope he makes a handsome profit and after a break comes back and takes our suggestion of starting up a Creole Restaurant. Let's face it we need as many committed business people witht he smarts and the backing to start up real businesses and less dickheads buying themself a bar stool on Loi Kroh to spend their retirement/reduncency cheque in drunken oblivion.

Matt's rave mode ended - I have just recaluculated the difference in payments from the US with the new conversion rate - deep sigh

I'd like to second that - a lot of people bitch and sneer at expats who have made the decision to live here in Thailand. Most have sold up and made the commitment to stay. Some have left very good jobs that pay MUCH better than they can get in the LOS but they choose to do so. I didn't come to Thailand because of cheap sex and booze I came here because I like living here. I look at guys like Mike and he isn't a friend of mine, I hardly know the guy, I look at UG - I have bought some books from his stores and read the posts but I don't know him face to face, I look at the guys trying to make a go of a business irrespective of whether it is a hole in the wall bar or a full scale restaurant and hope they do well. Thailand and Chiang Mai needs good businesses, with good management, and foreign skills. As UG wrote it is very hard for any Thai to get a good, well paying job in Thailand. By running businesses and on training the locals we (collecive noun) Farung can help to make this a better place for everyone.

To UG and Mike - I sincerely wish you the best of fortune in your respecitive businesses. If Mike sells his business and track record shows he will as soon as he has made it into a success, I hope he makes a handsome profit and after a break comes back and takes our suggestion of starting up a Creole Restaurant. Let's face it we need as many committed business people witht he smarts and the backing to start up real businesses and less dickheads buying themself a bar stool on Loi Kroh to spend their retirement/reduncency cheque in drunken oblivion.

Matt's rave mode ended - I have just recaluculated the difference in payments from the US with the new conversion rate - deep sigh

cb,u've summed it up! double bravo

It's not easy to survive here with SARS, bird flu, terrorist threats, expensive plane tickets, flower festivals during the height of high season, political termoil and pictures of polluted Chiang Mai all over BBC and CNN every day. :D

I'll drink to that!

bravo, ulysses

All very well up to a point, but can I request that from now on, can every Italian who arrives in Chiang Mai please refrain from opening a restaurant.

Chiang Mai the Italian Restaurant Hub. :o

But if the Italians do open restaurants, make sure they can cook "Italian food " first. :o

Don't be shy, name some names.

Not really the place for it. And besides, one mans pleasure could be another mans poison..Or something to that effect..

I'll check that out sometime - it is round the corner from me.

Babylon owner (previous owner's daughter) and staff have moved and opened the Arcoba Leno after old Renato died. Same menu and same good quality but bigger premises. Not sure if the old premises in Huay Kaew are being operated by anyone else.

Babylon owner (previous owner's daughter) and staff have moved and opened the Arcoba Leno after old Renato died. Same menu and same good quality but bigger premises. Not sure if the old premises in Huay Kaew are being operated by anyone else.

I was there two weeks ago and the menu hadn't changed. Same photos on the wall etc..

I was there two weeks ago and the menu hadn't changed. Same photos on the wall etc..

That's good news then. Maybe the wife is running the original one although she must be a fair vintage too. Don't know how many kids they had.

The bloke that was the head waiter for decades is at the Arcoba Leno now.

Category: Business For Sale/Rent

Area: North

City: Chiang Mai hang dong

Description: I rennovate, equip.,staff , train & sell restaurants in Thailand(Mike's, Miguel's). This new American Burger & Sub concept is brand new(open 1 month)restaurant in the Hang Dong area 11kms. outside Chiang Mai with a big expat community and growing! It's turnkey & full of potential.just work it! U have to buy nothing. 9yr.lease 6,000 per month. Email/reply to me for details/photos

Price: 1,500,000 Baht

( $ 43,390| € 32,694| £ 22,563)

]

From Bahtsold

:o

:D

The only reason that I kid Mike about selling his restaurants so quickly is that he never came out and said that is his intention, but he has now:

"Description: I rennovate, equip.,staff , train & sell restaurants in Thailand(Mike's, Miguel's)".

So I can't really josh him any more. :o

That's good news then. Maybe the wife is running the original one although she must be a fair vintage too. Don't know how many kids they had.

My wife and I like the Arcoba Leno very much, and go there from time to time. One of the kids, a daughter, is running it, and I have been told by her on a couple of occasions that her mother made the risotto for us that night, which cuts down on, without entirely eliminating, the chance that "the wife" (or widow, if I have understood the earlier posts correctly) is still running the original restaurant.

When I went by Monday evening, it was closed, as scheduled. Tuesday evening, closed (not scheduled). Wednesday or Thursday evening, open but empty of customers. Maybe I just went by between crowds; I don't know.

lookin' for some good farang food in the "boonies"huh? well, i'm not for sale(yet) and our hours are faithfully noon-8pm(changed them). closed mondays. I always try to concentrate on the hours of peak business( lunch&dinner) as to not burn out my staff. not to mention this old disabled viet nam vet can't do 16 hours anymore. no hotels,walkby traffic and no "loi kroh" out here to draw from. try the "mama's meatball" next time. my mom's recipe. best in asia!

When I went by Monday evening, it was closed, as scheduled. Tuesday evening, closed (not scheduled). Wednesday or Thursday evening, open but empty of customers. Maybe I just went by between crowds; I don't know.

lookin' for some good farang food in the "boonies"huh? well, i'm not for sale(yet) and our hours are faithfully noon-8pm(changed them). closed mondays. I always try to concentrate on the hours of peak business( lunch&dinner) as to not burn out my staff. not to mention this old disabled viet nam vet can't do 16 hours anymore. no hotels,walkby traffic and no "loi kroh" out here to draw from. try the "mama's meatball" next time. my mom's recipe. best in asia!

So Mike, you're saying it's not for sale ?? That is if you are Mike..

The only reason that I kid Mike about selling his restaurants so quickly is that he never came out and said that is his intention, but he has now:
"Description: I rennovate, equip.,staff , train & sell restaurants in Thailand(Mike's, Miguel's)".

So I can't really josh him any more. :o

UG -looked at baht & sold today didn't see an ad. i think i know who's joshing us(a friend of ours). anyway, even "i" don't sell them this early. i will, however, keep u posted on my exploits in the "boonies".

My wife and I like the Arcoba Leno very much, and go there from time to time. One of the kids, a daughter, is running it, and I have been told by her on a couple of occasions that her mother made the risotto for us that night, which cuts down on, without entirely eliminating, the chance that "the wife" (or widow, if I have understood the earlier posts correctly) is still running the original restaurant.

I'd be interested to know who's running the old one "Babylon". Maybe they sold it to the cook.