Chiang Rai Declared Disaster Zone As Forest Fires Rage

george

One possible explanation why the forest fires are so bad this year, was recently conveyed to me by a forest-dwelling monk in Kalasin province.

He told me that since Tax-sin was ousted, the forest rangers who are supposed to patrol the Phu Phan National Park to control illegal logging, poaching and forest fires have more or less gone inactive, leading to a rise in all those evils. He should know as he lives right in the middle of the Park. So this year, the forest fires right up to the summit of Phu Phan on both the Kalasin and Sakhon Nakhon have been far worse than normal, as nobody's been putting them out. :o

The reason for this state of affairs was that the forest rangers are normally under the direction and patronage system more of the local MP (now jobless) than the Ministry in BKK. So, now with no direct orders to stop fires, poaching, logging, etc., things are getting out of control, or so he told me. A sad state of affairs for one of the Northeast's finest forests in a region of precious few. So perhaps there could be a similar story in the North, leading to the latest "disaster" to hit the country. :D

s2_copy167.jpg

People cover their faces in Chiang Mai as haze – attributed to forest and farm fires – blankets cities in northern Thailand.

Source: The Nation - 14 March 2007

Nice to see dad gets the family crash helmet....as always!

It's the law. Driver must wear, passengers don't have to.

Oh well, that makes it all fine then. Thanks.

I don't know what happened to my post on the previous page? I was trying to quote the part that says they burn the vegetation from the previous year to provide nutrients for the soil. From what i know about farming, this is wrong. The organic matter should be allowed to decompose back into the soil to provide nutrients and hummus.

One possible explanation why the forest fires are so bad this year, was recently conveyed to me by a forest-dwelling monk in Kalasin province.

He told me that since Tax-sin was ousted, the forest rangers who are supposed to patrol the Phu Phan National Park to control illegal logging, poaching and forest fires have more or less gone inactive, leading to a rise in all those evils. He should know as he lives right in the middle of the Park. So this year, the forest fires right up to the summit of Phu Phan on both the Kalasin and Sakhon Nakhon have been far worse than normal, as nobody's been putting them out. :o

That makes sense! So it IS Toxsins fault! :D

Today 15 March 2007, I could see the 07:55 am Air Asia plane approach Chiang Rai International Airport. I couldn't say the same last weekend when I could only hear the plane but not see the da mn thing. This sun is getting more yellowish - not the Sunkiss orange color of previous days.

Chiang Rai declared disaster zone as forest fires rage

CHIANG RAI: -- Northernmost Chiang Rai province was declared a disaster zone on Wednesday morning as embattled provincial and other agencies confront out-of-control brush- and forest fires throughout the region.

Traditionally, before the rains and at the end of the hot, dry season, local farmers in the mountains burn off the preceding season's accumulation of vegetation to provide nutrients for the soil.

This year, however, the region has been especially dry, and vulnerable, to having such fires spread out of control.

<cut>

--TNA 2007-03-14

I hope the situation improves for you guys up there really soon.

Meantime you could take a short vacation to Bangkok or Pattaya and breathe in some fresh clean air!! :o

I suggest Phuket but PLEASE bring a bit rain with you, I am waiting three month for it here. not a single drop.

To educate thaipeople in schools is a good but an idea which takes a long time. They have to learn that plastic have not much in common with a coconut if they burn it.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Comments about Thai Royalty deleted

Royal rainmaking operation to be performed in the North tomorrow

The Bureau of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation will conduct the royal rainmaking operation in the northern region of Thailand tomorrow.

The Director of the Bureau of Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation, Mr. Apichai Jungprapa (อภิชัย จึงประภา), says the bureau is ready to provide artificial rain in the northern provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong Son tomorrow. He says the operation will help reduce the amount of smog in the North.

Mr. Apichai says he believes the current weather condition has enough humidity for the royal rainmaking operation to be performed as predicted by the Meteorological Department.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 March 2007

I hope the situation improves for you guys up there really soon.

Meantime you could take a short vacation to Bangkok or Pattaya and breathe in some fresh clean air!! :o

I suggest Phuket but PLEASE bring a bit rain with you, I am waiting three month for it here. not a single drop.

<snip>

Ah you guys are all heart, got a spare room at ur house for us then? I'll bring some Chiang Mai girls! :D

PM to visit Chiang Mai today to monitor the smoke situation

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will travel to Chiang Mai Province today (Match, 15th) to call a meeting of relevant units on the smoke situation in many Northern provinces.

Spokesman of the Office of the Prime Minister, Yongyuth Maiyalarb (ยงยุทธ มัยลาภ) says that today in the afternoon the premier is scheduled to visit the Kawira (กาวิระ) Camp in Muang District, Chiang Mai Province. Relevant units in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong Son provinces will inform Gen.Surayud of backgrounds and problems of the smoke situation which has dearly affected the residents.

Officials who will attend the meeting include the governors, representatives of the Third Army Area Command, and provincial officials. The meeting is aimed to brainstorm and find ways to assist the residents.

In addition, the premier will distribute firefighter’s equipments and supplies provided by the Royal Family to volunteers and officials. Their tasks include the extinguishing of forest fires, artificial rain making, and public health service.

The spokesman also calls for cooperation from the residents to stop setting fires as it will create more air pollution. Asked whether the artificial rain making will be successful, he says it depends on the weather and the amount of moisture in the atmosphere.

Haze may be killing northern tourism

The widespread haze and dust particles choking the northern region of Thailand is having a direct impact both on public health and local economic activities, particularly tourism and related services, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre.

The leading think tank projected the incident would reduce the amount of currency in circulation in tourism and related services in upper northern provinces of Chieng Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong Son in March and April by around 2 billion baht (about $65.5 million) or 25 per cent of the total.

It said the smaller number of tourists would lead to a decline in spending in March and April during which there are long holidays in many festivals such as Songkran or the Thai New Year.

The haze and dust particles have choked many provinces in the Upper North in the past two weeks.

The situation, the most critical in nine years, stemmed partly from El Nino, an abnormal warming of the globe, which caused raging forest fire in many areas of the North.

Source: TNA - 15 March 2007

Hygienic face masks distributed to residents in Mae Hong Son

The Public Health Office in Mae Hong Son Province distributes hygienic face masks to the residents to protect health conditions caused by forest fires.

Mae Hong Son Public Health Official Md.Suwat Kittidilokkul (สุวัฒน์ กิตติดิลกกุล) reveals that he has instructed all hospitals in the province to distribute the face masks. The thick smoke patch has covered the province for more than a week, causing a number of residents to fall ill of respiratory disease. Some of them have been diagnosed with eye and nose irritation and some are allergic to the smoke. Latest statistics show that there is an average of 168 people per day suffering from the patches of haze. Many of them are receiving medical treatment in hospitals in the province.

Md.Suwat encourages the residents to contact nearby hospitals in order to receive the face masks. He also suggests that they should avoid going outdoors where thick patches of smoke are seen.

Some photographs submitted by readers of The Nation:

s3_copy164.jpg

An anonymous reader wrote: ‘I took this photo at 2pm on Wednesday from my 5th floor apartment near Suan Dek on the Chiang Mai highway. It’s worse than ever.’

s2_copy168.jpg

Chiang Mai’s Phucome Hotel appears to be in flames. However, as Michael Rastrup Smith said, the flames were from a forest fire behind the hotel on Doi Suthep.

s1_copy165.jpg

Daniel Powell vividly captured Tuesday’s peak hour traffic struggling through the gloom on Highway 118, Doi Saket Road, just outside Chiang Mai.

Thanks for the pictures; it really illustrates what 'a thousand words' would find difficult to do!

I hope every effort is employed to put these fires out for both humanity and the environment's sake.

just got back from up there wasnt sure why my eyes hurt so much now i know hopfully they will sort this out before sonkran as people will cancell their trip including me and i do love it up there :o

PM says hazy condition in the North has improved

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont indicates that the air pollution situation in the Northern region has improved and it is not necessary to declare state of emergency in eight provinces affected by thick smoke.

Yesterday (March, 16th), the Prime Minister attended a meeting between governors from the eight provinces and the Commander of the Third Army Area Command. The premier says that although the overall situation has improved, the amount of dust in the atmosphere still exceeds an acceptable level. The authority has continuously deployed measures to resolve the situation, including artificial rain making and spraying of water in the air.

The premier adds that the long term solution to the smoke problem is to inform residents of effects of man-made forest fires. Thailand’s neighboring countries, including Myanmar and Laos, has prohibited their people from setting fires in forests and agricultural areas after they acknowledged the smoke situation in Thailand.

According to PM, some people in the North still set fires in agricultural areas. As a result, state officials have to call for cooperation from them to stop such action. The premier expresses confidence that the situation will get better soon.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 March 2007

Mae Hong Son Army deployed to fight forest fires

Army units in Mae Hong Son province have been deployed to suppress forest fires in order to clear smoke hazes from the region.

The Commander of the 7th Infantry Special Task Force of Mae Hong Son, Col Suthas Churumanee (สุทัศน์ จารุมณ), conducted an inspection of local areas in the muang district of the province in order to assess smoke haze conditions. Col Suthas reports that he has deployed personnel from his unit to combat forest fires discovered in Tambon Pang Moo (ปางหม).

The commander revealed that an aerial survey of forest fires would enable ground forces to reach the correct locations and effectively resolve the situation. Col Suthas said that the 7th Infantry Special Task Force's operational plan would continue until fires have been completely extinguished, under the Region 3 Army's policy.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 March 2007

Rainmakers fight choking haze in Thai north

Royal Thai Air Force rainmakers bombarded clouds over haze-choked northern Thailand for a third day on Tuesday, hoping to coax rains to clear away thick smoke from forest fires and stubble burning.

Cloud seeding is questionable to its effectivness. The first thing you have to have is clouds. Been

clear here a long time here now, where are they finding these clouds to seed????

Thanks Jaidee for all the articles.

It seems the air quality improved for a day or two prior to the PM's visit. Today it is VERY BAD again, if looking straight up, cannot see any blue in the sky what-so-ever, it could be cloud cover, but i doubt it.

There were fire trucks spraying the roads here yesterday, in order to increase the humidity but it seems unfortunately for now the rain making hasn't worked :o . On that note I saw 3+ rubbish/leaf fires roaring away just yesterday!

It reminds me so much of that quote I heard, the Thais hear what HM says, but they never listen to him. :D

Thanks for the pictures; it really illustrates what 'a thousand words' would find difficult to do!

I hope every effort is employed to put these fires out for both humanity and the environment's sake.

just got back from up there wasnt sure why my eyes hurt so much now i know hopfully they will sort this out before sonkran as people will cancell their trip including me and i do love it up there :o

Yep. I'm waiting another week before booking tickets to Chiang Mai for Songkran. Maybe if this madness starts to hit someone's bank balance, something might get done...?