bank letter for immigration

Yesterday a member posted on the name of the letter a person should ask for when requesting a statement of deposits from the bank. I should have wrote it down but i forgot. Can anyone please help me with the name of the letter i should ask for when I go the the bank. The poster said it was very common and most bank employees understand what you need when you mention this name. Thanks all

Any teller who has a modicum of English (so they know what you are talking about) should be able to do it. Whenever I do mine through the SCB it's usually done by whatever teller I get. It's hardly a complicated letter.

• Haha 1

I just ask for my yearly bank letter for Soi 5.

I didn't see a simple answer to your question...all I seen was directions to go somewhere else and scroll down to 3...strange, why not just give the name?

• Like 1

Which bank letter do you need?  If using 800k baht on deposit in a Thai bank, the letter will verify your name and account number and most banks are familiar with it as it has been required now for many years - usually saying you need a letter for Immigration will suffice.

However, if using the 65k baht monthly transfer, Immigration (Pattaya at least) requires a different letter which sets out the date and amount of foreign deposits to your account for the preceding year - in the case of Bangkok Bank, it is obtainable at the branch where you opened your account - they print out "credit advices" for each deposit (500 baht fee regardless of number) and then prepare the letter (100 baht fee) and give you both, Pattaya Immigration wants only the bank letter - the Pattaya City Expat Club has an example of the required letter from Bangkok Bank here (if you use a different bank, you can show it as an example of the type of letter you need) : http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

Edited by soisanuk

58 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

usually saying you need a letter for Immigration will suffice.

Tell them which immigration office you use. They always ask me. I think the letter is addressed to that office specifically.

Just tell the bank clerk you are looking for a letter for immigration for visa renewal. Someone in the bank will understand "immigration" and "visa". Its a standard letter I believe and they attach copies of your passbook transactions as well from memory.

You have to go to immigration the same day as the letter is dated and you also have to make a transaction that morning too. Simples.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, Jaxxper said:

Just tell the bank clerk you are looking for a letter for immigration for visa renewal. Someone in the bank will understand "immigration" and "visa". Its a standard letter I believe and they attach copies of your passbook transactions as well from memory.

You have to go to immigration the same day as the letter is dated and you also have to make a transaction that morning too. Simples.

Just goes to show that all letters are not the same and I have never had to do a transaction.

The guy does the letter and attaches a bank statement, why would a transaction be necessary if the bank statement is dated that day.

Passbook entries are consolidated, about 1 a year and quite meaningless. Immigration have never asked to see or provide a copy of the passbook.

The "same day" is obviously preferred but it is not cast in stone, I had a problem one time and Immigration said if I was not back in 48 hours I would need a new letter.

I've just returned from Korat IO where wifey and i spoke to the Chief IO to inform her that i could'nt evidence that my transfers had come from the UK by way of TW due to the fact they were not coded when credited to my SCB account as FRC (from abroad)

I took all my SCB bank statements (all printed off by me) from Jan this year to July together with the TW PDF's (all printed off by me) she had a good look and said "don't worry" all we want to see is that you are transferring money each month into your SCB account from abroad and she said that i can see from the evidence you have supplied.

I did inform her that in future (August onwards) i will do a swift transfer from my HSBC UK account direct into my SCB account here and that will show as a foreign transaction, she was happy and once again said "don't worry". I'll have to just put up with the higher charges and bad exchange rate from SCB.

I think wifey had a good chat to her and said we've been married 13 years and living together here in Thailand and always transferred the money monthly from the UK and she did'nt want to lose her husband lol