How Reliable Is The Train From Bangkok To Nongkhai?

Hi there,

I want to do the visa run to Vientiane by train from Bangkok.

The train leaves a 9 pm and gets on the border by about 9 am the next morning I was told...

So that would leave me about 3 hours to get to the embassy in Vietiane before noon and then I can pick up the passport the next day in the afternoon.

My qustion is, how reliable is the train, is it pretty much on schedule or can it be hours late?

Can I trust my train schedule for timing my dropping off the passport at Vientiane before noon?

What about the train to Penang, is that fairly on time also?

Cheers!

I am not sure any train service in Thailand can be relied on to get you somewhere for an appointment.

It might, but no guarantees.

The same goes for Air Asia if you fly to Penang.......

If you get the right price there is little to choose between train and Air Asia for travel to Penang. :o

Trains normally depart Bangkok on time - seldom do that arrive on time. One or two hours late has been my experience on most long distance travel over the years (admittedly not recent - but believe most of track is still single line so there are always delays).

There are several types of services, 4 per day (well most days). Express is a sit up train with several classes but only stops at the major centres, try to get a seat in one of the 'non propelling' cars as the noisy motor under your feet is not pleasent. The sit up and sleeper train (one engine at the front) stops almost everywhere. The only trip I did arrived at Don Muang from Udon 14 mins late, much better than I expected. There are many non scheduled stops but I think they concider these when sorting the time tables. I have also heard of 1 to 2 hour delays but TIT, 3 hours will definitly not be enough time to get to the Embassy. Get an earlier train.

There are several types of services, 4 per day (well most days). Express is a sit up train with several classes but only stops at the major centres, try to get a seat in one of the 'non propelling' cars as the noisy motor under your feet is not pleasent. The sit up and sleeper train (one engine at the front) stops almost everywhere. ....

This is a bit OT, but how do you tell which is a train car with a motor under it?

sarpesius

I used to do the visa run to Vientiane regularaly and always took the overnight train (I think its number 69.) I don't think the train was ever on time. We once sat in the station at Udon for about 45 minutes because we were late and had to wait for the down train to clear the track.

Anyway, the visa office always seems to have a long line of applicants and they stop taking applications when they reach some sort of quota. If you try to make it to the office on the morning you arrive, you are likely to be too late -- even if the train should somehow make it on time!

Play it safe and spend the extra day in Vientiane. I agree with Bangkokgas -- go Saturday night, spend a quiet day on Sunday, make your application on Monday morning, and catch the evening train to Bangkok on Tuesday.

I used to do the visa run to Vientiane regularaly and always took the overnight train (I think its number 69.) I don't think the train was ever on time. We once sat in the station at Udon for about 45 minutes because we were late and had to wait for the down train to clear the track.

Anyway, the visa office always seems to have a long line of applicants and they stop taking applications when they reach some sort of quota. If you try to make it to the office on the morning you arrive, you are likely to be too late -- even if the train should somehow make it on time!

Play it safe and spend the extra day in Vientiane. I agree with Bangkokgas -- go Saturday night, spend a quiet day on Sunday, make your application on Monday morning, and catch the evening train to Bangkok on Tuesday.

In 2006 I would go to Vientiane every 3 months to get a new visa. I went by train and it was close to on time with 1 execption because of the heavy flooding at the time. I still made within a few mins. of the cut off time.

In 2006 I would go to Vientiane every 3 months to get a new visa. I went by train and it was close to on time with 1 execption because of the heavy flooding at the time. I still made within a few mins. of the cut off time.

So 75% of the time in your exerience the trains ran ran on time give or take 10 minutes but 25% percent of the time they were late due to weather problems.

Well you can try on the day that you want it and if you get there on time ok otherwise come back a day later.

done the ride to Nong Khai 2 times and both times a little bit late, not more then 1 hour.

If you have a Laos visa already, photos and copy of your passport you should be able to get to the Embassy in time even if the train is 1 hour late.

But I'd go for the extra day or the ~6am flight to Udon.

2nd Class sleeper is comfortable if you are not too tall but don't expect much sleep (unless you can sleep on a bus as many Thai seem to have mastered) as the tracks are very rough and there are many stops and starts. Lower bunk is much wider and you have the option to change back to seating early if you want.

If over 6'2" or so you would probably be more comfortable in first class (if they have) but I never liked the across sleeping as you roll to and fro on each stop.

There are several types of services, 4 per day (well most days). Express is a sit up train with several classes but only stops at the major centres, try to get a seat in one of the 'non propelling' cars as the noisy motor under your feet is not pleasent. The sit up and sleeper train (one engine at the front) stops almost everywhere. ....

This is a bit OT, but how do you tell which is a train car with a motor under it?

sarpesius

What's OT?

Anyway believe it or not the ticketing offices have airline type computer layouts of their trains showing the type of carriage and seat allocations. It didn't occure to me to check the type of carriage so long as it was a 1st class lay back seat. Apart from the motor under my arse the door I was near would not close properly, there was no spare seat to relocate into. Oh well at least I didn't miss my plane.

Train times are pretty accurate on leaving and arriving to Nong Kai

Best to get the early train leaving bkk.

one is i think at 6.30, then 7.30 and at 8.30 rough times ok,

always best to get the second class sleeper and always ask for the bottom bed as its larger with a window and doesnt rock as much as the top bunk bed.

Once you arrive in Nong kai and over the border, my advice is to get a taxi, or tuk tuk straight to the thai embassy and hand in your docs before you even go to your hotel, that way you have the rest of the day to relax. and beat the busy crowds and the hot weather late morning.

The 8.45pm Hualompong to Nong Khai train service always leaves on time but arrives 1 hour or so late in Nong Khai. Its reliable enough to be an hour or so late, but as said previously its a single line so dont expect to be in any rush to get to the Embassy. Leave yourself plenty of time.

KD :o