Visa Vientiane, Last Time Not So Pleasant...

Since last 1½ years I have 5 tourist visas in my passport, 1 from Stockholm, 2 from Malaysia, KL, Penang and 2 from Laos, both in Vientiane.

(Stockholm, Vientiane, Penang, Vientiane, KL)

Last time I went to Vientiane they stamped my passport with this:

Nasty red stamp

That was just before the new visa rules, 15 sept 2006. I went to KL 3 months ago and got a visa without a problem. Since the new rules I just left the country one time, and have no 30 day stamps in my passport.

What are my chances of getting a visa in Vientiane this time? According to the rules I should be allowed to get a 30 day stamp right??

I've read alot but it seem to be different experiences, like someone who wasnt allowed back, not even a 7 day stamp!?

Anyone with the same red stamp as me? What are your experiences?

Ok, thanks for the info. I really don't need a visa a 30 day stamp is ok.

It seems to be mixed reports on how they apply the rules, if they count days on tourist visa or not. Please feel free to share your recent experiences.

Thanks for all the help I'm getting from you guys!

wow buddy, that dont look too good

Back in the mid 90's after 3 tourist visas they used to stamp, (words to the effect),

"Applicant is recommended to apply for a work permit".

Alas, my old passports are 6000 miles away or I'd do a scan.

You didn't upset anyone did you?.

what amazes me is that after having such an arrogant , offensive and insulting remark stamped in your passport you would actually want to come back here.

thailand spends millions annually promoting itself as the land of smiles , the land of the welcoming wai etc.etc. , and then effectively brands you as a proto criminal when you apply to return.

the arrogance of immigration jobsworths as reported on these forums is hard to take sometimes , although personally i have never come across it , but immigration people from most countries like to throw their power around .

its a long time since i had to prostrate myself at a neighbouring countries consulate and beg for the priveledge of spending time here , but can the motley bunch who wait like refugees outside the gates every day be so bedraggled , so unappealing , so desparate and so disgusting to the eyes of the thai officials inside that their only response is "the red stamp"

surely the message they are trying to put across can be put across with a little more class , a little more finesse and a little more respectfully.

I agree to some parts.

I'm only good for Thailand so in a way it's sad but if I wouldnt "profit", in different levels, I wouldnt go thru with the hassle. There are other options I know that but I have my reasons to stay here.

Since last 1½ years I have 5 tourist visas in my passport, 1 from Stockholm, 2 from Malaysia, KL, Penang and 2 from Laos, both in Vientiane.

Nasty red stamp

That was just before the new visa rules, 15 sept 2006. I went to KL 3 months ago and got a visa without a problem. Since the new rules I just left the country one time, and have no 30 day stamps in my passport.

What are my chances of getting a visa in Vientiane this time? According to the rules I should be allowed to get a 30 day stamp right??

I've read alot but it seem to be different experiences, like someone who wasnt allowed back, not even a 7 day stamp!?

a year and a half as a 'tourist'? oh well

Nasty red stamp

a year and a half as a 'tourist'? oh well

I've been a "tourist" for 5 years. What's the big deal about it? I've had no problems and am a legitimate "tourist". What kind of visa are you on anyway? A marriage to a Thai visa? LOL

1.5 years as tourist is pushing your luck, just the way people did with the

Visa Exemption stamp.

The nasty red stamp strikes me as another example of the hardening attitude

towards people who abuse the system.

Do you want Thailand to become like Nepal, where it is 180 days in 365

on any kind of tourist travel? :o

All the advertising is aimed at Genuine Tourists, not potential immigrants. :D

All the advertising is aimed at Genuine Tourists, not potential immigrants.

thats a good point , although it does not address the arrogance of public officials.

so i will ask the original poster , why have you chosen to use tourist visas , rather than apply for a visa that will allow you to remain for longer ?

My plan was to stay 5-6 months (traveling asia, most in Thailand) but I liked it and decided to stay a little longer. The reason I used toursit visa is because I think it's crazy to do a borderrun every 30 days, the 90 days I get is ok and after that I want to travel some.

What options do I have? As the situation is now I dont want to invest any money here, I wont marry a thai, I dont think I want to start a business here and it's about 25 years before I can get a retire visa. I have been in contact with a lawyer about starting a business, but he advised me to apply for a B visa.

Next time I go to Europe I'll apply for the visa...maybe I'll start some kind of business in the future.

do you people have any clue at all how many people are on these visas for years and years and years?? I thought not. omg, 1.5 years is nothing. gimme a break. to the OP, a lot of these people think you should get married to make your visa situation easier. gimme a break. I'm not marrying in a million years and I'm retired and under 50. So I am a tourist long term. Thailand hands me the visa each time with no problem. They want my business and I dont fit any visa type. There are thousands of people in my situation and the other thousands who do work illegally on these things. How will this get sorted? who knows but I will say for sure that there will be (probably will anyway) a major condo crash price situation in BKK. There are a lot of rich retireds under 50 who refuse to marry and didnt come here to invest money, just relax. deal with it and dont give the OP a hard time. I hate this high and mighty bullshit. if you're married to a thai or have a business here, that's your problem, not mine the OP or any other young retireds

where's Livinlos when you need him.

oh btw, it is possible that they suspect that the OP is working. I'm sure they must have checks for this

Edited by Queers for Fears

Got the same, obnoxious red stamp when I went there last Oct.

Now, since I was getting low on pages, I took the opportunity to have more added at the local consulate there, too, while I was in town. Convenient.

After 60 days, did a border run and got another 30-day visa-exempt stamp to fully invalidate the TV and its stamp, then REMOVED the offending page from my passport. Afterall, it is my passport.

Just recently got another TV from Kota Bharu and, since Malay immigration noticed my new pages, they stamped me in using those when I arrived, and so started the new set (which is mainly where immigration will be looking from now on, obviously). Then, I proceeded to get stamped backed into TH with no problem, no questions asked. Made a nice holiday out of it, too.

Note: if you or anyone else needs to do the same, remember also to remove the corresponding attached page in the front of the passport (so it doesn't fall out on its own when they're flipping thru it). It is likely filled with such old stamps from years and years ago that they may not even look (or care, if they do).

Now, since I was getting low on pages, I took the opportunity to have more added at the local consulate there, too, while I was in town. Convenient.

After 60 days, did a border run and got another 30-day visa-exempt stamp to fully invalidate the TV and its stamp, then REMOVED the offending page from my passport. Afterall, it is my passport.

Just recently got another TV from Kota Bharu and, since Malay immigration noticed my new pages, they stamped me in using those when I arrived, and so started the new set (which is mainly where immigration will be looking from now on, obviously). Then, I proceeded to get stamped backed into TH with no problem, no questions asked. Made a nice holiday out of it, too.

Note: if you or anyone else needs to do the same, remember also to remove the corresponding attached page in the front of the passport (so it doesn't fall out on its own when they're flipping thru it). It is likely filled with such old stamps from years and years ago that they may not even look (or care, if they do).

Tampering with passport pages (even yours) is illegal and not recommended

inthought adding pages was not an option in these security sensitive days but then the BBC reported yesterrday that the UK Home Office admited to issuing 10.000 passorts to illegals including terrorists......

The passport does not belong to you - it belongs to your government. And if the removal is found your passport will be immediately become invalid - leaving you between a rock and a hard place. Never, ever mess with passport pages, other than those designed to be changed by user (such as emergency contact information).

Uh, you did WHAT?!

#1. It's NOT your passport, it belongs to your government.

#2. Removing pages from it is probably a criminal offense in your country.

#3. It's probably a criminal offense in Thailand, too

#4. Most passports have numbered pages. It's not going to take a genius to figure out what you did.

wow buddy, that dont look too good

Back in the mid 90's after 3 tourist visas they used to stamp, (words to the effect),

"Applicant is recommended to apply for a work permit".

Alas, my old passports are 6000 miles away or I'd do a scan.

You didn't upset anyone did you?.

yes i remember those stamps in penang , but i still got a visa every time i went back to penang .

I am under 50 will be moving to LOS in mid sept, I will be geting a 3 entry TV 60 day stamp. I am curious as to is it better to get a 30 day visa extension on each TV entry stamp for the 1900 baht or just do the border run every 60 days and apply for a new TV? Can I get a 3 entry TV in Laos?

Thanks for any help.

what amazes me is that after having such an arrogant , offensive and insulting remark stamped in your passport you would actually want to come back here.

thailand spends millions annually promoting itself as the land of smiles , the land of the welcoming wai etc.etc. , and then effectively brands you as a proto criminal when you apply to return.

the arrogance of immigration jobsworths as reported on these forums is hard to take sometimes , although personally i have never come across it , but immigration people from most countries like to throw their power around .

its a long time since i had to prostrate myself at a neighbouring countries consulate and beg for the priveledge of spending time here , but can the motley bunch who wait like refugees outside the gates every day be so bedraggled , so unappealing , so desparate and so disgusting to the eyes of the thai officials inside that their only response is "the red stamp"

surely the message they are trying to put across can be put across with a little more class , a little more finesse and a little more respectfully.

I AGREE, and I think it's about time to move on elsewhere. I've spent a lot of money here. If they don't want it, then I'll spend it elsewhere. I am tired of being treated by a criminal every few months. LOS can spiral into bankruptcy alone.

I never thought I'd give up.... but I am about there.

I got the visa, smooth as silk. No problem at all. :o

Congratulations

Did ou get a TV (single entry ? ) in Vientiane as planned ?

Yes I did get a single entry Tourist Visa. I just asumed that they didnt give two or three entry so I forgot to check for it.

No problem at the border, no counting days or any comments.