Retirement or Investment visa ?

Hi.. we are in the midst of packing and heading to Chiang mai. We are told to apply for visa in our residing country instead of Thailand. 

We bought a house that’s over 10 million baht and I’ve researched that there’s an investment visa that we can apply. Anybody can clarify this and where do we apply for this ? Because our residing country only do retirement visa. 

Which visa is better ?! Investment or retirement ( we are both above 50)

is there a big difference in the renewing in the future ?! Investment need to maintain the 800k baht for renewal ?

The Thai consulate request for a letter from the Thai bank we have our accounts. What is this letter ?! What should be mentioned in this letter ? Because Bangkok bank in CM sent me a form to fill ( in Thai) which I’m clueless and it has more than two weeks and still no reply from them after countless emails. 

Would be easier if i I know what the letter ( for visa application) should state

would appreciate your input. Thanks 

Edited by Chris23

An investment extension of stay (it is not a visa) has to be applied for in Thailand.

have to re apply every year.

2.5 In the case of an investment: 

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time. 

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) 

B. In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht. 

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) 

(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht. 

(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht. 

(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders. 

(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or 

(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4) 

Or (5) having a total value of not less than 10 million baht.

Edited by fishtank

For retirement one of you need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before application.

After application you have to keep the 800k in the bank for a period of 2 months(maybe 3) then leave at lease 400,000 in the bank until next year when you top up and apply again.

OR.

65,000 Bank monthly income.

Edited by fishtank

7 hours ago, fishtank said:

For retirement one of you need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before application.

After application you have to keep the 800k in the bank for a period of 2 months(maybe 3) then leave at lease 400,000 in the bank until next year when you top up and apply again.

OR.

65,000 Bank monthly income.

I see.. we are a couple and was told to have individual account so that would be 800k x 2. 

Just thot the investment route be easier ???? just invest in a property 10 million and above. Which we have already done so. All signed and we have the chanote. 

Do you know whats the letter ( from the bank) have to say for applying for retirement visa ?! We were asked to produce a letter from Bangkok bank. 

Thank u for your reply

No. you can do the retirement extension and your wife can do as she is your wife.

Only you have to show the money in the bank.

I am assuming that your Wife is non Thai.

The bank will know the requirement.

Edited by fishtank