Train From Bangkok To Vietiane Has Power Outlets? How's The Food? Is The Air Con Too Cold? Any Info On Train Appreciated!

pataya8

I want to use my notebook computer on the train, do they have power outlets?

Are there any coffee shops or restaurants where I can work? How is the food and is it expensive, do they sell booze on the train?

I heard that the aircon sleeper is like Siberia...should I bring pants and a jacket?

Do they have shower facilities, if so how much?

Cheers!

I can't speak from experience going North, but if it's anything like the train from Bangkok down to near Malaysia I would guess:

no

Are there any coffee shops or restaurants where I can work?

no

How is the food and is it expensive, do they sell booze on the train?

Not too great. Better choice is food and beer from vendors along the rails as you stop at stations

I heard that the aircon sleeper is like Siberia...should I bring pants and a jacket?

Temperature seemed fine to me

No, and the toilets get quite nasty the longer you've been going with all the jostling of the train as people are trying to do their business

Some trains have power outlets [ I've seen microwave ovens in use] but not at the seats.

They sell booze - vendors walk up & down or go to dining car. Food is ordinary. Eat b4 or get a take out

The ac varies. For me its too cold so I travel 2nd class fan. You will get a blanket.

There are showers in 2nd class fan. If there r only 2 carriages there will probably only b 1 carriage that has the shower - cold water. Often there is not enough water for a shower at the end of the trip.

The train goes to Nong Khai Thailand. From the Nong Khai station short trip to bridge. Cross into Laoland take bus/taxi to Vientianne [no train] about 12 miles. :o

I can't speak from experience going North, but if it's anything like the train from Bangkok down to near Malaysia I would guess:

no

Are there any coffee shops or restaurants where I can work?

no

How is the food and is it expensive, do they sell booze on the train?

Not too great. Better choice is food and beer from vendors along the rails as you stop at stations

Temperature seemed fine to me

No, and the toilets get quite nasty the longer you've been going with all the jostling of the train as people are trying to do their business

All of it true!Take the night train to Nong Khai,the rails don't go farther,2nd class sleeper,long trip,but at least you can sleep through,the 1st class is more expensive as the plane!

I assume that if you are travelling from Bangkok to Vientiene, then you are aware that your last stop will be Nongkhai.

I recently travelled in the opposite direction with my GF but this time we decided to go 1st Class. We had travelled 2nd class many a time, but decided we wanted a bit more privacy this time. I would definately recommend it.

Firstly, you get your own cabin. The beds are alot bigger and alot more comfortable. You can turn the air-con on or off, its entirely up to you. And they also have power outlets in the room as well. Regarding wash facilities, you have your own sink in the room but no shower. The shower can be found at the end of the carriage in 1st class. Not sure whether they have in 2nd but from memory, they might have.

It cost us about 1200 baht each, but I was told by a frequent 1st class traveller that if you are travelling on your own you can secure the whole room for yourself by paying 1500 baht. That way you are guaranteed that no other single traveller is going to be occupying the bed above or below you.

Yes you can get beer on the train but it will cost you twice as much, so buy some from a shop before you go. And the food is overpriced, so again, bring your own if you want or settle for what they offer. The breakfast was 150 baht, and was xxxT.

Hope this helps.

Guemlum

Edited by guemlum

And I'd argue that its not as exspensive as the plane. The price I gave you for 1st class was a trip that I took only 11 days ago. The downside is that it will take you about 12 hrs.

A flight at present with Air Asia or Nok Air which I also took on my return to Nongkhai will cost you about 1500 baht or about 2400 if you go Nok Plus, and about 2000 baht if you fly with Thai Airways. Advantage is that the flight to Udon Thani only takes 1hr. You then have to get a minivan to Nongkhai which is shared and now costs 150 baht pp and will take about 50 minutes, or you can take the local bus which is even cheaper and will take even longer.

I do this trip regularly so PM me if you need any more info.

Guemlum