Pesticide Inhallation - Health Risks?

Today I was unfortunate enough to be in the serviced apartment in Bangkok we are renting temporarily when they carried out pesticide spraying.

There was no warning, and no information provided about the chemicals used, nor how to avoid breathing in the noxious mix.

The Thai staff were walking around as usual, with no protection whatsoever. The operatives, on the other hand, who were actually spraying this stuff, looked like Darth Vader without the cloak. Children were running around reception and outside.

Despite putting two wetted face masks over my face and stuffing pillows around the door, AND switching off the AC, the area quickly filled with a mist, which made my eyes water and sting.

I know many pesticides are banned in the USA and EU but here? It seems doubtful. After breathing this stuff in intially I felt light headed nauseous, and dizzy. I lay on the floor after complaining to reception who did absolutely nothing about it.

I am extremely annoyed that the owner of this building should put his guests, not to mention his staff, at such risk.

I understand that anti pest chemicals are required, but so is adequate warning and protection. Does anyone know what kind of chemicals are generally used in Thailand?

Preliminary Googling says that many banned substances are carcinogenic. Just great, another thing to add to the list.

You have to look at the overall dose and the length of such dose. Any chemical can be dangerous depending on the amount or the length of the dose. Also, while some chemicals are quickly removed from the body, others accumulate, mainly in fatty tissue.

I don't think you have much to worry about. I would be more worried if I was the individual doing the spraying that may have both dermal and respiratory uptake.

Back in the 40s and 50s when DDT became such a wonder compound against many insects, trucks of the stuff used to go up and down many neighborhood streets here in the States. They would spray the stuff in a thick fog to kill mosquitos, horse flies, black flies etc. The neighborhood children would come out behind these trucks and play in the fog.

I know many pesticides are banned in the USA and EU but here? It seems doubtful. After breathing this stuff in intially I felt light headed nauseous, and dizzy. I lay on the floor after complaining to reception who did absolutely nothing about it.

Laying on the floor may not be the best way to avoid it. Open all windows etc, head out for a couple of hours while they are spraying. Ask them to not spray inside your apartment.