Marriage Registration

Hi Guys!

I'm preparing my Marriage registration documents and would like to know if I need a Birth Certificate!

I'm Canadian!

I'm looking to know all the required documents for the marriage registration in Thailand!

I know I have to go to the Canadian Embassy to get an English Declaration to confirm that I'm free to get married.

I know that I have to make this document translated to Thai by a translator.

What else I need to register my Marriage?

If I need my birth certificate, do I have to make it translated also?

Thanks Guys!

Froggy

When we registered our marriage with the Amphur,I just had a certified copy of my birth cert. and it was accepted as is at the amphur, and I had all the papers that you mentioned,and then when they have recieved all your paperwork,they will issue you a marriage license and your wife a new ID card if she wants to change her name to your sir name. and then you are married in the eyes of the law,both here and your home country and not until this has been done.

Birth Certificate is not required by Thai authorities but have no idea what your Embassy may require. You have to have passport and the Embassy letter that has been translated and registered at the MFA and possibly someone who speaks both languages as an unofficial translator for the paper you will have to sign.

Birth Certificate is required for those South of the border when doing immigrant visa to USA so Canada may have the same requirement if you take that route in the future.

Hi Froggy.

A birth certificate is not required,

when you get your affirmation freedom to marry from your embassy to have it translated you must use a registered translater ie lawyer etc as the translation must be officially stamped , about 500 THB ,many will ask for more but just move on to the next one until you are satisfied with the qoute. Translation should only take a maximum of 2 hours for collection,anymore than this then there will certainly be farming it out to someone else (hence increase in qoutes)

Paul.

I had a letter from Embassy stating I was free to be married, can't remember if I had birth certificate or my passport did the trick. You will have to get them translated of course.

Kevin, they didn't issue a new ID card, we did that in KhonKaen, might have been an oversight.

Kevin, they didn't issue a new ID card, we did that in KhonKaen, might have been an oversight.

Until very recently you could not obtain a new ID card in any district other than the one your last card was issued so if you married someplace else they would not be able to issue card. This is changing with computerization but believe is still the case in many locations.

Quote;;;Kevin, they didn't issue a new ID card, we did that in KhonKaen, might have been an oversight.

Yes they did issue my wife a new ID card,she had to go in the back and have her picture taken and they made her a new ID card with her sir name changed. maybe this happened because it is my wife's home amphur.

And also asked for my birth cert. which we had to go outside to a copy place and have a copy made for them. that and the letter that we had from the embassy that had been translated and registered,My passport with visa,

And also had to have the birthcert. when I filed for my housebook.

You know that there is no standard requirements for anything here,they just seem to play it by ear on everything they do.

As I mentioned in a parallel thread, we used a Translation company to organise everything so part of the fee would be palm greasing I guess.

Khon Kaen is Strife's home Amphur and we did the deed in BKK.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all!

Here's 2 last questions about the Marriage process!

1- Can I register our Marriage if I'm on a Tourist Visa?

2- Can I find and use a French translator to assist our Marriage registration at the Amphur?

Thanks again!

Froggy

I don't see why not,but you will run into different things with every different official that you deal with.

But I can not see why you need a translator when you register, I don't speak Thai and my wife did all the talking and showed me where to sign and everything went smoothly,even when I went in to get my house book,my wife did the talking and I just set there and smiled whenever someone looked at me.

maybe the translator is the reason some folks have trouble and are asked a lot of questions,,if they can't talk to you then they just let it go. Like they say, "even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut".

As I mentioned in a parallel thread, we used a Translation company to organise everything so part of the fee would be palm greasing I guess.

We also used an agent to take care of everything. I went to US Embassy and got the notarized eligable to marry document and took that and a copy of my passport to agent. 2 Days later they called and said come on down, she drove us to Amphur out on Suk. There was about 10 people in line, we went to the front and were in and out (married) in 30 minutes. I think we gave the agent like 9,000 baht or something.

Money well spent in my mind.

TH

I had a 30 day on arrival permit when we got married, the visa shouldn't make any difference. You won't be able to get an "O" before hand, cause you aint married. :D

Froggy you saying you want French/Thai translater? I guess the Frog embassy would have that info.

The guy who registered our marriage at the Phra Nakhon District Registration Office spoke good English and he asked me some questions,

1) If I knew the future stife had been married before.

2) If I knew she had kids.

3) Where were they?

Answered these and basicly that was it, kiss your wife, shake hands and pick up paperwork from Clerks.

One thing for the sentimentalists, they sell satin bound Certificate holders, I reckon they're good value and you've gotta keep them somewhere, right.

Thaihome, we payed about the same and was money well spent, it does smooth the way. :o

D't know where my birth certificate is - didn't even think I would need it.

Brit. Embassy letter, with translation, proof of income, passport and that's about it.

Done in Pattaya (Banglamung) after waiting a day or two 'cos the computer had broken down. But that was the only hitch in getting hitched.

Wife didn't change name - says it is not now a legal requirement. Not intending to return to the UK for another twenty years, so don't see the necessity.

Hi Guys!

I'm preparing my Marriage registration documents and would like to know if I need a Birth Certificate!

I'm Canadian!

I'm looking to know all the required documents for the marriage registration in Thailand!

I know I have to go to the Canadian Embassy to get an English Declaration to confirm that I'm free to get married.

I know that I have to make this document translated to Thai by a translator.

What else I need to register my Marriage?

If I need my birth certificate, do I have to make it translated also?

Thanks Guys!

Froggy

It is better to be sure, rather than sorry. Bring it with you just in case Froggy.

maybe the translator is the reason some folks have trouble and are asked a lot of questions,,if they can't talk to you then they just let it go. Like they say, "even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut".

The translator is to protect you and is welcome and required by many districts to protect themselves from you later claiming you did not know you just married a woman with 4 kids and seven husbands that you did not know about. :o This information is written down in the document you sign so you should be aware of what you sign.