Laptop Repair?

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and recently I have been having a few problems..... I think the hard-drive has packed up, so I dont think its a software issue....

Can anyone recommend a reliable shop on Samui that could fix it or get it sent to be fixed? I have tried a few places but I would like to use somewhere that I know is reliable and isn't going to rip me off...

Any info appreciated

Cheers

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and recently I have been having a few problems..... I think the hard-drive has packed up, so I dont think its a software issue....

Can anyone recommend a reliable shop on Samui that could fix it or get it sent to be fixed? I have tried a few places but I would like to use somewhere that I know is reliable and isn't going to rip me off...

Any info appreciated

Cheers

I have the laptop as you. I had problems last year and sent it to the Toshiba place in BKK to be fixed. However, it was still under warranty and did not cost me anything. If it hadn't been under warranty I still might have done it as I do not think I would trust it to just some guy who has a computer shop. However, if it is only swapping out a hard drive that is very simple and should not take long or cost much to do. Mine was a more complicated issue. Mine has been overheating very rapidly and shutting down all the time. I'm thinking of sending it to the BKK place again although this time I will have to pay as the warranty has expired. I would be lost without my laptop so I want to take extra special care of it.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

I have the laptop as you. I had problems last year and sent it to the Toshiba place in BKK to be fixed. However, it was still under warranty and did not cost me anything. If it hadn't been under warranty I still might have done it as I do not think I would trust it to just some guy who has a computer shop. However, if it is only swapping out a hard drive that is very simple and should not take long or cost much to do. Mine was a more complicated issue. Mine has been overheating very rapidly and shutting down all the time. I'm thinking of sending it to the BKK place again although this time I will have to pay as the warranty has expired. I would be lost without my laptop so I want to take extra special care of it.

Thanks for the info.....The only problem I can see is that if it is the Hard-drive, I will inevitably lose all my information, but if that's the only way then its better than not having one at all.

I have just been on the Toshiba Thailand website and got their contact details so I will see what they say, mine is no longer under warranty so will probably not be quite as smooth process in getting it repaired.

I had the same problem as you will my laptop overheating all the time, it is because of the amount of construction going on, all the dust gets sucked into the fan over a period of time which causes it to overheat. I took mine to a computer shop (cant remember the name) and they cleaned the fan out for me, there was a huge amount of dirt in there. Its hasn't been overheating since.

I don't know if I would trust the same shop to take it all apart though....

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Thanks for the info.....The only problem I can see is that if it is the Hard-drive, I will inevitably lose all my information, but if that's the only way then its better than not having one at all.

I have just been on the Toshiba Thailand website and got their contact details so I will see what they say, mine is no longer under warranty so will probably not be quite as smooth process in getting it repaired.

I had the same problem as you will my laptop overheating all the time, it is because of the amount of construction going on, all the dust gets sucked into the fan over a period of time which causes it to overheat. I took mine to a computer shop (cant remember the name) and they cleaned the fan out for me, there was a huge amount of dirt in there. Its hasn't been overheating since.

I don't know if I would trust the same shop to take it all apart though....

Where did you take it to and how much did it cost? That sounds like what I need to do to mine, clean out the fan.

If you have to change the HD, you dont have to send to Toshiba.

Call my PC-Doctor "Udo from Lamai": 0870251916 and say "Hello" from Claude from Nathon.

He knows his businees, he is relieable and fast. You will have to pay 500 B/h.

A knew HD is about 4-5000 Baths.

By the way, I dont get any commision and it is very easy to change the harddisk but it takes longtime to get it running! Do you have an image-file of your HD?

Cheers from Nathon,

Claude

Call my PC-Doctor "Udo from Lamai": 0870251916 and say "Hello" from Claude from Nathon.

By the way, I dont get any commision and it is very easy to change the harddisk but it takes longtime to get it running! Do you have an image-file of your HD?

Cheers from Nathon,

Claude

That's a lot of baths, you must have been dirty. Maybe you mean baht? :o

I see this word misspelled everywhere.

I've always used a company in Nathon for any problems with my laptop. They service computers for alot of the companies and businesses in Samui. They have people who work the chewang, lamai and other areas of samui and then return to their office at nathon.

My hard drive died on me and they took it away, ordered me a new 60gb one from BKK (4000bht)

and returned it to me. They charged me 500 bht for doing this and he managed to save alot of my data. They also give you a receipt for what they have done and the prices etc

I've just returned from BKK with aload of hardware and I'm going to use this company to build me my PC.

I can't remember the name of the company, but the man I calls number is 0894741093.

Good Luck

Where did you take it to and how much did it cost? That sounds like what I need to do to mine, clean out the fan.

Thanks for all the responses.....My laptop is in the hands of a shop that was recommended to me by a friend called B-Com, which is very near to the Police Station on the Tesco Road.....Apparently they are very professional. I am certain you will be able to get your laptop fan cleaned here also....

I've just returned from BKK with aload of hardware and I'm going to use this company to build me my PC.

I can't remember the name of the company, but the man I calls number is 0894741093.

Thanks for that, I will soon be doing the same and getting some new hardware so this guy could be useful for putting it in for me....

I have an older Toshiba Laptop too, now the display is dark. The computer repair shop in Nathon told me to change the motherboard. I didnt believe them so I tried with an external monitor and it was working. Now I know that I just have to change to display inverter. Does anybody knows a website where I can order this?

Cheers from Nathon, Claude

Any info appreciated

Cheers

My friend got his laptop fixed recently at the computershop opposite familymart rigth on the stoplight of chaweng lakeroad. He says it was good and not to expensive.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

My friend got his laptop fixed recently at the computershop opposite familymart rigth on the stoplight of chaweng lakeroad. He says it was good and not to expensive.

That is CEC computers.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

That is CEC computers.

Thats right, rooo, thanks! Anyway, he says its good, i dont know, happy for any comments on this. My friend been there two times (different problems) and its always quite cheep and he say its good. anybody different experiense?? I want to know to.

I have an older Toshiba Laptop too, now the display is dark. The computer repair shop in Nathon told me to change the motherboard. I didnt believe them so I tried with an external monitor and it was working. Now I know that I just have to change to display inverter. Does anybody knows a website where I can order this?

I know there is an authorized Toshiba place in Bangkok. It might be a little more expensive (or maybe not) but at least you would know it is being worked on by somebody who knows what they are doing and replacing a mother board is a little more involved than replacing a mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there is an authorized Toshiba place in Bangkok. It might be a little more expensive (or maybe not) but at least you would know it is being worked on by somebody who knows what they are doing and replacing a mother board is a little more involved than replacing a mouse.

Right I've had some experiences with a few computer repair places on Samui now, and the one that actually got everything done without any problems was CEC Computers..... I would highly reccomend this shop, they know what they are talking about and have good english-speaking staff.

I have to mention that I am very p*ssed off with another shop on Samui that I took my laptop too first... This shop is called D-Com (red building near the police station on the Tesco road just past the traffic lights).....Do not use this place for any kind of repair/purchases.

Firstly, I took my laptop there for repair, they firstly told me the Cd-rom drive was not working which was why the computer wouldnt start, this made me suspicious as I know the cd-rom had nothing to do with the problem.He then told me he had backed-up all my data, and was keeping it in his shop.... After waiting a day or two, I told him I was going to take it to bangkok for repair (as he said he couldnt get the cd-rom drive I needed) and asked him to keep the backup which he agreed too. Now I took it to CEC Computers who identified the hard-drive problem and asked me if it was ok if they formatted it, I said no, as the other shop had my backup....... To cut a long-story short the hard-drive needed replacing in the end but when I went back to get my backup from DCom, they told me the hard-drive it was stored on was broken! This is utter bullsh*t and I'm now thinking weather he actually backed it up in the first-place. He is never in the shop and doesn't answer his phone, he has his wife looking after the shop who doesnt speak any english.....This is so frustrating, it would help if he had an english speaking staf in the shop :o .

DO NOT USE DCOM Computers!!!

I even told him I would pay him for keeping my backup for me, but they really dont seem to know what they are doing in there.... Anyone else had any experiences with this place?

Edited by FrootLoop

Now I took it to CEC Computers who identified the hard-drive problem and asked me if it was ok if they formatted it, I said no, as the other shop had my backup.......

I actually meant yes, they could format it, sorry....

I endorse CEC also - use them for all my requirements and never been dissapointed in service, prices or advise.

The guy at Arma Comp (recommended above in the little shop just outside of Nathon at Lipa Noi is the best I've found so far (077 421464, 089 474 1093 K. Woranan). My experience with the shop in town at Nathon near the ferry is very ordinary and would not recommend them.

The guy at Arma Comp (recommended above in the little shop just outside of Nathon at Lipa Noi is the best I've found so far (077 421464, 089 474 1093 K. Woranan)

Yes this is the man I use, his company is very professional and from what it seems very busy...hopefully it will be tomorrow when they pick up my computer case and hardware and start the build. All for 500 baht it seems.

Right I've had some experiences with a few computer repair places on Samui now, and the one that actually got everything done without any problems was CEC Computers..... I would highly reccomend this shop, they know what they are talking about and have good english-speaking staff.

I have to mention that I am very p*ssed off with another shop on Samui that I took my laptop too first... This shop is called D-Com (red building near the police station on the Tesco road just past the traffic lights).....Do not use this place for any kind of repair/purchases.

Firstly, I took my laptop there for repair, they firstly told me the Cd-rom drive was not working which was why the computer wouldnt start, this made me suspicious as I know the cd-rom had nothing to do with the problem.He then told me he had backed-up all my data, and was keeping it in his shop.... After waiting a day or two, I told him I was going to take it to bangkok for repair (as he said he couldnt get the cd-rom drive I needed) and asked him to keep the backup which he agreed too. Now I took it to CEC Computers who identified the hard-drive problem and asked me if it was ok if they formatted it, I said no, as the other shop had my backup....... To cut a long-story short the hard-drive needed replacing in the end but when I went back to get my backup from DCom, they told me the hard-drive it was stored on was broken! This is utter bullsh*t and I'm now thinking weather he actually backed it up in the first-place. He is never in the shop and doesn't answer his phone, he has his wife looking after the shop who doesnt speak any english.....This is so frustrating, it would help if he had an english speaking staf in the shop :o .

DO NOT USE DCOM Computers!!!

I even told him I would pay him for keeping my backup for me, but they really dont seem to know what they are doing in there.... Anyone else had any experiences with this place?

Yes, it was afew years back and he tried to totally rip me off on a keyboard and mouse set. He told me the stupid price of 4500 baht with this huge smile on his face. I laughed in his face and walked out. My girlfriend at the time was not amused by my behavior, but after I told her it was a no name keyboard and mouse worth didly, she kind of understood.

I have never and will never out of principal go back there. Before moving there his shop used to be opposite Video EZE on dow seafood road lamdein.

Yes, it was afew years back and he tried to totally rip me off on a keyboard and mouse set. He told me the stupid price of 4500 baht with this huge smile on his face. I laughed in his face and walked out. My girlfriend at the time was not amused by my behavior, but after I told her it was a no name keyboard and mouse worth didly, she kind of understood.

I have never and will never out of principal go back there. Before moving there his shop used to be opposite Video EZE on dow seafood road lamdein.

LOL, 4500Bht is ridiculous..... you would pay about 500Bht for that in Bangkok....

Anyway my general advice if someone is upgrading their computer, is to buy the hardware in Bangkok and then get a trusted place to install it in Samui....The difference in hardware prices is unbelievable....

For 12,000Bht I upgraded my whole computer, then paid CEC computers 1000Bht to install it, simple...

But I will try my best to prevent anyone from using Dcom Computers, I cant emphasise enough how p*ssed off I am with them

Edited by FrootLoop

• 1 month later...
Company may be called iLLuSioN

Good Joke :o

Do you honestly think that your WindowsXP installation is Genuine? Amazing how many misguided computer owners think that their "Computer Shop" has provided so much for so little. Have your system checked by someone with more that a basic knowledge of computers and you will be amazed at the lack of quality in the work.

LOL, 4500Bht is ridiculous..... you would pay about 500Bht for that in Bangkok....

Anyway my general advice if someone is upgrading their computer, is to buy the hardware in Bangkok and then get a trusted place to install it in Samui....The difference in hardware prices is unbelievable....

For 12,000Bht I upgraded my whole computer, then paid CEC computers 1000Bht to install it, simple...

But I will try my best to prevent anyone from using Dcom Computers, I cant emphasise enough how p*ssed off I am with them

A small suggestion if you care to spend a little time and effort.

Contact D Computer in Bangkok (contact info at www.dcomputer.com) and list a complaint as this shop is an authorised dealer or they would not be allowed to use the logos and signage.

Hi, FL. Yes, I used this co a few times, but only for basic purchases; ink cartidges, etc. Think it's the same place -- they do decals and stuff, too, right? Had two PCs and one laptop on Samui; the laptop gave me nothing but probs, freezing up all the time. Then I dropped it, which solved all of its problems.

Had good experience with the shop in nathon - middle road - a bit further from the "Connecting road" (extension Thanon Thorasap) It's a restaurant (chao ko) towards the ferry pier parking area.

But then who knows - a mechanic might be gone and that is it - sometimes.

So far lucky, never had a prob with my laptop (IBM Thinkpad R52), so far... but never took it out to the beach either.

Had good experience with the shop in nathon - middle road - a bit further from the "Connecting road" (extension Thanon Thorasap) It's a restaurant (chao ko) towards the ferry pier parking area.

But then who knows - a mechanic might be gone and that is it - sometimes.

So far lucky, never had a prob with my laptop (IBM Thinkpad R52), so far... but never took it out to the beach either.

They lost (or sold) my heavy-duty HP printer and tried to give me a cheap Canon model in its stead...