Approved By Homeland Security: Good To Go?

Hi...

My wife and I applied for her to come to the states back in December.

Our petition was recieved by US immigration mid January.

February 28th, we got notice that Homeland security "approved" her and that they would then send that word to the embassy in BKK.

It has been 3 weeks today, we have heard nothing, but I understand the process "typically takes 3-6 weeks".

I am in the states, she in Thailand. and I have exhausted my 90 days. I own my own business, several properties and support will not be an issue. She holds a degree and has an excellent track record. My phone records average $1000 per month and we have about 300 e-mails to each other in the past 3 months...also many pictures together.

My questions to those in the know:

Does this Homeland security approval pretty much mean the visa is now a slam dunk?

Are we merely going thru the formalities now or does the chance exist she can still be refused?

Any idea how long it will take once BKK recieves the paperwork from the US?

I thank you in advance for any and all help provided.... and I sincerely wish the best for all others in this most uncomfortable situation.

Hi...

February 28th, we got notice that Homeland security "approved" her and that they would then send that word to the embassy in BKK.

It has been 3 weeks today, we have heard nothing, but I understand the process "typically takes 3-6 weeks".

I am in the states, she in Thailand. and I have exhausted my 90 days. I own my own business, several properties and support will not be an issue. She holds a degree and has an excellent track record. My phone records average $1000 per month and we have about 300 e-mails to each other in the past 3 months...also many pictures together.

Does this Homeland security approval pretty much mean the visa is now a slam dunk?

Are we merely going thru the formalities now or does the chance exist she can still be refused?

I thank you in advance for any and all help provided.... and I sincerely wish the best for all others in this most uncomfortable situation.

No it's not a slamdunk, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you can prove a legitimate relationship exists, you shouldn't have any problems. She should receive Packet 3 soon, so have her fill out all the forms correctly and completely, get the required police report and medical exam, and wait. How long? My wife had to wait three months before her interview, but the interview itself took less than ten minutes. I'm not sure how long the wait currently is but you could maybe get a clue on the embassy website.

Why are you spending some much on phone charges? Buy a prepaid card on the net and it'll cost you less than 6-10 cents a minute. ThaiTel.com is what I use and I've never had a problem with them.

Hi...

Sounds like it would be cheaper to purchace an extra computer & use Skype!!!!!! cost to you would be probably $10-20$ a month after a 8000 baht (cheap charlie used computer) + 700 baht for highspeed to run Skype!

I am American & use Skype alot back home to contact the govn. concerning getting my fiancee visa started

& to call family & friends

Thanks so much for the replies, gentlemen!

HSteach, sorry to hear it took you so long to get the interview. Was this long ago? You say the interview itself was a rather sensible 10 minutes, good to hear and congrats on your success! H0ow would I see the wait time for the embassy (interview)? Man...the phone cards I found...none worked! Jing jng! And the ones that did work...cost more than my regular ser4ice. I will DEFINITELY look into the one you suggested..thanks for everything!

Beardog...thank you as well. I live in Hawaii and if I am correct, Skype is not available here. That could be BS, but that is what I was told. Yesterday I got "Vonage".... still 12 cents per minute but better than the 32 cents I was paying.

Man, 3 months wait for the interview....that is bothersome indeed. Anyone else with any comments, opinions or cash donations? :o

The current timetable from the embassy website FAQ's says an interview for an immigrant visa is still 10-12 weeks. Long wait I know, but when they finally get here, you'll realize it was worth the effort. :o

name='n2ojones' date='2007-03-23 13:43:17' post='1215099']

HSteach, sorry to hear it took you so long to get the interview. Was this long ago? You say the interview itself was a rather sensible 10 minutes, good to hear and congrats on your success! H0ow would I see the wait time for the embassy (interview)? Man...the phone cards I found...none worked! Jing jng! And the ones that did work...cost more than my regular ser4ice. I will DEFINITELY look into the one you suggested..thanks for everything!

Beardog...thank you as well. I live in Hawaii and if I am correct, Skype is not available here. That could be BS, but that is what I was told. Yesterday I got "Vonage".... still 12 cents per minute but better than the 32 cents I was paying.

Man, 3 months wait for the interview....that is bothersome indeed. Anyone else with any comments, opinions or cash donations? :D

Excuse my barrage of questions, but does this mean AFTER the 1-130 gets to the embassy it will take 10-12 weeks?

I am hoping you mean 10-12 weeks after the notice of approval...but somehow, I think not.

Hooked up with that thaitel phone card...WOW! I chose the "flash card" ( I think it's a promotion) and got 555 minutes for $25!! Thanks so much for the tip. That is a fraction of what I was paying before.

Choke dee to all.

... the interview itself took less than ten minutes...

Yep, the interview takes about 10 minutes or less... but the wait in the waiting room takes about 4 hours. My wife had an 8am appt, so we arrived at 6:45am to turn in the Packet 3 stuff when "Window 5" opened at 7am. She was not called up for the interview until 11:35am. But she got the k-3 visa... that's all that matters now.

Congratulations, Mr. Gumball. I have heard the wait is indeed a S.O.B.

And what's worse, the more I read, the more I think I will fly back...and (gulp) join her in that eternal wait.

I hope your mrs. is enjoying Seattle. We will be living in Hawaii...but I will be taking her (my wife) to Seattle by x-mas. I lived there years ago and much of my family is still there. She'll have the fortune of witnessing our Hawks live!! :o

The current timetable from the embassy website FAQ's says an interview for an immigrant visa is still 10-12 weeks. Long wait I know, but when they finally get here, you'll realize it was worth the effort. :D

name='n2ojones' date='2007-03-23 13:43:17' post='1215099']

Man, 3 months wait for the interview....that is bothersome indeed. Anyone else with any comments, opinions or cash donations? :D

The 10-12 weeks are from the date the embassy receives the petition from the National Visa Center in the US. Sorry... :o

When my wife went through the process several years ago, you could go to the embassy and ask for Packet 3 for a K-3 visa which gave a head start in getting the paperwork done for the K-3 interview. That means getting the police record started and the medical exam at Bumrungrad.

I think one of the best things you could do would be with her when she does go for the interview. My wife was extremely stressed at the prospect of talking to the consular officer. As things turned out, she was never asked a question. He asked me. Just where did you meet. That was it. I think now that the decision to grant the visa was made in the paperwork screening by the Thai woman. The "interview" by the consular officer was basically a formality.

Make sure the forms are throughly completed. Fill in every line if it applies to you or your wife. In other words, go over the paperwork with a fine toothed comb.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

HSTEACH

WOW! Possibly 3 months AFTER they get the nod from the NVC... incredible.

I appreciate the reply HSteach. I am going to call the NVC on wednesday. That will be 1 month since approval from Homeland. I hope it don't ruffle any feathers but I (apparently) need to plan my 3rd trip (in less than 7 months) to the Kingdom. Hopefully they can give me a proximity.

My wife is very confident and I think she will do well with or without me. She has even said I "may do more harm than good", LOL. But I agree with you...I think I should be there.

What is your feeling on the following?

I have read that often the person conducting the interview asks only one queston; "how many times has you husband traveled to Thailand to see you"?

This question concerns me because our answer would have to be "once".

I don't know if we can elaborate or not. See, we met in November and were married exactly one month later. I stayed with her another month as we traveled Thailand (lots of pics).

I then returned home for 7 weeks (business) but went back for another month. We spent every minute together 3 months out of 5. We have tons of hotel records, phone bills, pics and about 300 e-mails from the 2 months we were apart.

Yet the answer to that question would still be "once". Do you forsee a problem here?

Thanks again and I hope all is well for you and the Mrs.

WOW! Possibly 3 months AFTER they get the nod from the NVC... incredible.

I appreciate the reply HSteach. I am going to call the NVC on wednesday. That will be 1 month since approval from Homeland. I hope it don't ruffle any feathers but I (apparently) need to plan my 3rd trip (in less than 7 months) to the Kingdom. Hopefully they can give me a proximity.

My wife is very confident and I think she will do well with or without me. She has even said I "may do more harm than good", LOL. But I agree with you...I think I should be there.

What is your feeling on the following?

As long as you can convince the consular officer that a true relationship exists, the number of visits becomes moot. Now if you met her one week and got married the next, I'm sure that would raise a few eyebrows at the embassy. About like if a woman went to the interview in a macroskirt, 5 inch platform heels, and tattoos on each arm saying 1500 ST..2000LT. Those things really draw attention. When we went for my wife's interview we had to wait some three hours before being called to the window. I observed that when they went to the window that was interviewing immigrant applicants, most of the "interviews" took 10-15 minutes, but one woman was called who looked as if she just got off work from Soi Cowboy. She talked to the CA for about 45 minutes and finally left with passport in hand. If approved, the passport is kept so the visa can be glued in to pickup usually the next afternoon. Either she was denied or was asked for more info she had to bring for a return interview. In other words, there are some red flags that really get the embassy's attention. In your case, I don't think the number of visits matters. Actually you've been there twice to see her. Once when you met her, and the second, when you returned to visit her again.

Thanks again, HSteach....so, is it safe to say that you were at the embassy during those 3 hours and saw ONLY that bar-girls rejection?

That in itself is not only encouraging, but excellent news...more Thais in this country means more Thai food! LOL. I understand 7000 Thais a year come to America. I'd like to see that number increase (at least by one;) Have a great day, HST and I wish you well.

Yes SIDDY, my first month back was $1700! I am a bit confused though...I (now) have Vonage and my bill is $24 per month PLUS 12 cents per minute. NOT a great deal by any means but better than the 32cents I was paying before.

I have Thaitel cards now....just under 3 cents per minute. A pain to dial all the numbers...but well worth the hassle.

Well you put the modem in the WRONG house!!! You leave the modem with her and then when you call her in Thailand you are calling a local USA number (in my case) and hence you avoid ANY minutes. If you have the modem here in the USA then you are paying by per minute which is what I suspect you are doing.

You're kidding me!?! I had no idea the Vonage system would work in Thailand. I asked around and nobody had heard of it.

Putting it in her house was not an option as i just got it (here) several days ago,....BUT...are you saying that when I go back (to Thailand)...wiat a minute, her area does not have DSL (or high-speed)..so that's out.

Thanks though, it was an interesting option (until, reality set in, LOL).

I've read about another one though: Sawasdeetalk.com. Supposedly unlimited talk to Thailand for $34 per month. I'll report back after I know better.

Got our case number from the NVC today and our packet 3 has been shipped to BKK. One small victory at a time. :o