Moving to Thailand to work

Hi everyone,

Any help or advice here would be great. I am moving to Thailand on friday to start work at a school. I've been waiting for the school to send the invitation letter addressed to the Thai consulate in Cardiff.  I needed this so I could apply for a non b visa. 

Now the school haven't sent the letter so I'm unable to apply for the visa in UK. My plan is arrive with no visa...and have my contract and offer of employment printed to show immigration. Then i believe I will have to do a visa run before my 30 days are up. 

Should I do anything else? Or even pretend I'm coming on holiday? 

I also have two tourist visas in my passport. One is earlier this year when I was in Thailand but not working. However this time I am returning to work...but I don't know what to do because I won't have the non b visa before I arrive. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thanks everyone.

• Haha 1

Many people end up traveling to here on a tourist visa or getting a 30 day visa exempt entry after getting a job offer.

A 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at immigration. The problem with entering visa exempt is that the airline can ask for a ticket out within 30 day of arrival to check in for your flight. You could get a lows cost one way ticket to any nearby country to meet the requirement.

I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. If Cardiff is near you that would be the best place to apply for one.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about the job, the school are nice and have apologised etc.

It might be a bit late to go Cardiff and apply now. I will phone the airline about the one way ticket and see what they say. If I must buy one I spose I'll buy one to go Laos as I'll be going there it looks like.

It's a good point about the airline thanks!

I'm hoping a printed contract, an invitation letter and the number for the school / uni will help too.

If you're coming in visa exempt, it would be a mistake to show your letter of employment to Immigration on arrival. That's a basic incompatibility in your immigration status. Better to say nothing. Show up at the school and let them fix it. As noted above, you can extend or change your visa status later. Be prepared to call it a holiday trip if the school reneges.

Edited by LawrenceN
Additional thought
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1