Teaching License Waiver Status

• 2 weeks later...

I myself know several colleagues who teach at public high schools (M1-M6 level) and thus teachers fall under OBEC regulations in respect to teacher credentials..  All have had zero issues with receive their second waiver letter (2x2 =4yrs) near effortlessly ... and a few have received a third.. but in each case (those who applied for a third) each one was asked for some kind of proof that they were advancing toward meeting the requirements for a full 5-year license.. As I recall reading from TCT's own material there is a statutory limit of three letters (3x2 = 6yrs) ... but as all things in Thailand, I am less than confident that this is a hard-and-fast rule and can't be imposed or not, with varying levels of discretion.

However, as teaching (legally) at a OBEC regulated school does require TCT licensing, and MoL (Labour) will require your license/waiver from TCT, IF your long term goal is to teact in an OBEC regulated school, I personally wouldn't want to go beyond my 2nd waiver (end of 4 years) unless I had reasonably solid documentation that you can show TCT that you will have everything needed to qualify for full licensing before the end of the 3rd waiver (end of 6 years).

On 10/29/2019 at 10:06 AM, clarky cat said:

i've heard from various people who've recently got new passports that this removes the waivers, has anyone experienced this?

There was a time when they must have had a software problem and all started over from zero.

A new passport number doesn't change the name of the holder. 

3 hours ago, Riau said:

I just got my 5th waiver, but TCT told me that

it's going to be my last one.

I got a waiver three times with my old passport

and twice with my new passport.

Congratulations. Definitely high scoring player. I had four on one passport. I think you just got lucky with the old passport vacuum. Now with second passport you're limited to three as most teachers. The trick to get four is to be enrolled in a post grad program and present a letter stating as such when you apply.

If you're not doing a master's degree and it can be used outside the country really think hard about your future, salary prospects and history. Your own personal ambition. Even doing post grad diploma you'll need to recoup about 100k in costs just to break even. I'm aware of no schools that bump salaries on post grad diplomas.

I'm trying to work out the TCT system.

Here's a friend of mine, he's worked at 5 schools in 5 years, but has 2 different reference numbers.

Delaying doing the course is surely the best option at the moment until it's absolutely nessesary.

When they start to struggle finding new teachers, it might be that they scrap the waiver system. Living costs are becoming higher and more people are teaching online now.

5.png

Archived