Decent Running Shoes - Where in Pattaya ?

WaveHunter

Looking for a decent store to buy good running shoes.  I bought what I thought were good Asics at a Mall back in March.  The glue started coming undone after only a couple of months, and now they are literally falling apart!  Guessing they were counterfeit! Normally my running shoes last at least a couple of years of daily runs.

Are there any serious runners here who can recommend a decent store that I don't have to worry about getting counterfeits, that carries good running shoes for serious runners, not just shoes for those seeking to make fashion statements?  That's all I see at the Malls.

The two brands I really prefer are Asics and Mizuno because they always fit me perfectly.  Back in the States, I normally buy them online because I'm so confident of fit but when I see them on Lazada and AliExpress, it's more than obvious most are counterfeit.

I'll accept any brand locally that I can try on, and that are decent quality at a reasonable price.  I just want a comfortable, supportive and durable running shoe, and don't want to pay for trendy and fashionable designer shoe, or counterfeit garbage.

24 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The glue started coming undone after only a couple of months, and now they are literally falling apart! 

are you new to Thailand? i ask because after coming here it took about two years before i realized everything i bring from the USA or high quality products I buy here falls apart at a accelerated rate.

sadly my motorcycle jacket "armor" is disintegrating, running shoes.  I stared gluing soles back on to get a few more months out of the shoes.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

are you new to Thailand? i ask because after coming here it took about two years before i realized everything i bring from the USA or high quality products I buy here falls apart at a accelerated rate.

sadly my motorcycle jacket "armor" is disintegrating, running shoes.  I started gluing soles back on to get a few more months out of the shoes.

LOL, I am on my 4th or 5th tube of crazy glue trying to keep my running shoes serviceable.  Question remains; where can I buy decent shoes.

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL, I am on my 4th or 5th tube of crazy glue trying to keep my running shoes serviceable.  Question remains; where can I buy decent shoes.

Contact adhesive works so much better.

Shark brand from HomePro, 90bht for a 500ml can.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

it took about two years before i realized everything i bring from the USA or high quality products I buy here falls apart at a accelerated rate.

Bacteria in tropical SEA eats western glue designed for a cold climate.

They use a different glue in products for local use.

13 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Are there any serious runners here

No, I'm usually quite jolly when i run. 

There are a few Addidas shops in Pattaya. Found by surfing.  All my Addidas shoes purchased here (Bangkok) have been OK so far (touch wood) 

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bacteria in tropical SEA eats western glue designed for a cold climate.

They use a different glue in products for local use.

Is that right?  I guess that explains it.  I started having this problem when I moved to Pattaya from Chiang Mai.  My Mizuno running shoes that I had up in Chiang Mai  were a year old and just fine but when I moved to Pattaya in March, they literally disintegrated within a month.  I bought Asics locally to replace them and within a couple of months, I was buying super glue to keep them from falling apart as well! 

So, I guess I'll just start buying cheap knockoffs from ALiExpress and replace them every month LOL!  At 1,000 baht per copy, I guess I'll just start thinking of them as  disposable running shoes.

BTW, I took a look at Decathlon.  Their website is horrible!  No way to search by shoe size and when you browse shoes, every shoe seems to only be available in one or two sizes.  When you use the "store locator", you get a "java void" message ????  SuperSport seemed much better so I'll go to their store to see if they actually have any shoes that I saw on their website that interested me.  

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

BTW, I took a look at Decathlon.  Their website is horrible!  No way to search by shoe size and when you browse shoes, every shoe seems to only be available in one or two sizes.  When you use the "store locator", you get a "java void" message

Decathlon has a large shop in Tesco Lotus on Pattaya Nua.

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I was buying super glue to keep them from falling apart as well! 

Take them to a roadside/corner shoe repair guy He will use contact cement and stitch the soles on. 

At 1,000 baht per copy, I guess I'll just start thinking of them as  disposable running shoes.

I can't remember paying less than 2500-28-- a pair. Last almost forever. I run cross country!

42 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I bought Asics locally to replace them and within a couple of months, I was buying super glue to keep them from falling apart as well! 

BTW, I took a look at Decathlon.  Their website is horrible! 

Once you've got the bacteria in your home, it will spread from one pair of shoes to the next, very quickly if you store them next to each other.

Funny, I've never had a problem with the website, I always browse it to find if they have what I want in stock.

You can't really buy from them online, their sizes tend to be a bit narrow.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Take them to a roadside/corner shoe repair guy He will use contact cement and stitch the soles on. 

I can't remember paying less than 2500-28-- a pair. Last almost forever. I run cross country!

Thanks for tip about shoe repairs...good idea :)

I found these at SuperSport; only 1100 baht.  They look decent.  We'll see; I'm going to store and check them out.

1079958594_snapshot_2019-10-02at11_37_18AM.jpg.b7aa1b9ef03fc7834d4e67ae2142e7d4.jpg

16 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Normally my running shoes last at least a couple of years of daily runs.

I do not run, but doing  a lot of walking (3-4 marathons) per week. Shoes won't last more than 2 months ( you'll wear out the soles, unless you're running/walking on the beaches), no matter how much money you pay for them. Go for the cheap ones.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

No, I'm usually quite jolly when i run. 

There are a few Addidas shops in Pattaya. Found by surfing.  All my Addidas shoes purchased here (Bangkok) have been OK so far (touch wood) 

I too have been lucky with the Nkie and Daiads shoes I have purchased so far.

FCE6109F-05BE-4631-835E-9EFBA01A660B.jpeg

03EA7B6A-1FBA-4F9A-857C-C1FC6C872307.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I do not run, but doing  a lot of walking (3-4 marathons) per week. Shoes won't last more than 2 months ( you'll wear out the soles, unless you're running/walking on the beaches), no matter how much money you pay for them. Go for the cheap ones.

I think living near the beach accelerates wear; sand and salt, not to mention bacteria as @BritManToo said, seems to get into everything.  Really though, back in the States, if I bought a really good pair of running shoes, they lasted me a couple of years (maybe just a year for serious running, but at least another year for just kicking around in).  I think there is definitely a difference in glues for the US markets vs the Asian markets. 

What's more, it's impossible to even know if the shoes you buy from a reputable store are real or counterfeit. Nothing would <deleted> me off more than spending 5000+ baht and finding out you got counterfeits!

I just came back from SuperSports at Central Festival.  Total waste of time.  The "on sale" shoes were terrible, and the only good ones that were light-weight, breathable and comfortable, were 5000+ baht! 

At least I got to try on several different brands and models, so now I can confidently order good ones online in the right size, and at reasonable prices...or just order the cheap knock-offs from AliExpress as disposable shoes.  Until I move away from the sea, I think I'll opt for the latter.

Jst FYI, Here's a pair of Mizuno Wave Creation running shoes that are surely counterfeit on ALieExpress.  The genuine versions usually sell for around 6000-7000 baht.  It amazes me that merchants on AliExpress can openly sell knock-offs, but if the originals are going to fall apart anyway, why not just save some money.  I know it's not ethical to buy knock-offs, but it's not ethical for shoe companies to have the outrageous mark-ups that they have.  I mean, these shoes in the 6000-7000 baht range probably cost no more than a few hundred baht to produce!

1466796121_snapshot_2019-10-02at3_25_51PM.jpg.71071315fee8bb2f4c23bd14b0a16f68.jpg

Any way, I appreciate all the feedback from you guys.  Thanks ????

Archived