Parts of Bangkok hammered by hail

snoop1130

Parts of Bangkok hammered by hail

By THE NATION

800_bbb1e9f1197803f.jpeg

photo credit: @khanathit_hui on Twitter

Bangkok residents excited by the unusual sight were on Friday (October 4) swapping photos and videos online of hail falling in some parts of the capital.

Heavy rain that led to flooding in Pratunam, Phaya Thai and Siam districts came complete with a hammering of hail.

Hail forms in towering, saturated thunderclouds with strong updrafts, but the temperature is low enough to freeze water droplets that are so large and heavy they escape the updrafts and plunge to the ground.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377077

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-04

It is rumored that Prayut was in the area humming "Hail to the Chief"

Hail to the Chief who chose himself for the nation,

Hail to the Chief! If you don't, I will adjust you.

Hail to the Chief, as I destroy our foundation...

...and then it hailed.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Normal, nothing at all unusual about high altitude hail making its way from a Cu Nim to the ground, even in the tropics, or perhaps even more likely in the tropics at specific times of the year.  

Come on it's hardly an everyday occurrence is it?  I don't remember ever hearing about hail in Bangkok in all the time I've lived here.  

So I would say it is unusual.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Come on it's hardly an everyday occurrence is it?  I don't remember ever hearing about hail in Bangkok in all the time I've lived here.  

i have never seen HAIL down here in Patts/jomtien in 10 yrs I have been here. So i would say very unusual in a temperate country.

Have heard they get some in chiang mai from time to time.....

17 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Okay

I understand that Thai vehicles are made of lighter gauge tin than North American vehicles. I've seen some pretty serious damage on North American vehicles so I imagine same or worse in Bkk.

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

It is rumored that Prayut was in the area humming "Hail to the Chief"

Hail to the Chief who chose himself for the nation,

Hail to the Chief! If you don't, I will adjust you.

Hail to the Chief, as I destroy our foundation...

...and then it hailed.

I was thinking that Prayut and his cohorts started sing  ' Hail hail the boys are here '.

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

i have never seen HAIL down here in Patts/jomtien in 10 yrs I have been here. So i would say very unusual in a temperate country.

Have heard they get some in chiang mai from time to time.....

Yep, They in CM Even get FROST In their COOL Season.......WOW !!

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I understand that Thai vehicles are made of lighter gauge tin than North American vehicles. I've seen some pretty serious damage on North American vehicles so I imagine same or worse in Bkk.

Nope.

Yank tanks are made from 4 layers of tin foil glued together with wallpaper paste.

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and at least 3 times in Thailand this year (2019)

That's just reported ones.  There are probably more that didn't warrant a report.

Not all in BKK. Certainly some would have been. I didn't check all of them.  However, this year has seen hail twice in BKK.  The last one being in April.

Feb this year it hailed in Udon Thani province.  According to reports some were as large as lemons and caused a lot of damage.

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

Not all in BKK. Certainly some would have been. I didn't check all of them.  However, this year has seen hail twice in BKK.  The last one being in April.

Feb this year it hailed in Udon Thani province.  According to reports some were as large as lemons and caused a lot of damage.

Hail up north is an almost annual thing.  But in my 24 years in Bangkok this is the first time I've heard of it happening here.

I stand by my "it's unusual" comment and you have hardly proven it wrong.

If the size of the hail was a soft ball size or at least a golf ball size and solid,

it might do damage. By the looks of those pea sized hail, an umbrella would not

have even been damaged. Rare event, but hardly damaging by the looks of its.

Good experience for those who have not seen it over there.

Geezer

Archived