Money on deposit ?

9 hours ago, brianbbb said:

I'm wondering exactly what the 800000 or the 400000 baht in the Thai bank is for it can't be for an insurance for illness or accidents you can't use it just dead money

Neither the Police Order nor the immigration website mentions what this money is for.

59 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

It's for your wife when you fall off the perch.

????????????

Probably more true than many would believe.  Takes ATM and starts using it really quickly.  No need to show ID.  No issues with it being a joint account or not

My understanding from the beginning was that it was meant to equal the minimum amount 65,000 x 12 months one was expected to need to live on.  So one would deposit it at the start of the year or your extension date, show proof of that, and the Thais would be content that you had enough to last for your one year extension of stay even if you spent it down and had no other income.  That seemed reasonable to me.  The "seasoning" requirements used to be reasonable.   Now the latest 400k for x months, 800k for y months, just seems arbitrary and capricious. Ooooh, I don't get to use that word often! 

Edited by gk10002000