U.S. astronauts embark on the first all-female spacewalk

rooster59

On 10/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, rooster59 said:

"We don't want to take too much credit, because there have been many other female space-walkers before us. This is just the first time that there have been two women outside at the same time," Meir, the 15th woman to conduct a spacewalk, responded.

Exactly, so why is this a big deal? Women can do anything since decades ago.

• Confused 1

What has the gender got to do with anything?

Why is it such a big deal if the 2 astronauts doing their job are male, female, trans, rainbow, gender fluid, black, white or yellow?

Are women seen as less than men or something?

Sounds massively patronizing for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:16 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

What has the gender got to do with anything?

Why is it such a big deal if the 2 astronauts doing their job are male, female, trans, rainbow, gender fluid, black, white or yellow?

Are women seen as less than men or something?

Sounds massively patronizing for them. 

I've been thinking about this thread since my first reply.

I now think it's actually insulting women to make a fuss, as it implies women are not actually capable of making a spacewalk without a man around to take care of them, and it is only because they are somehow different in that they can.

Till women can do anything without a big fuss being made about it they will never be really equal to men.

BTW, far as I can ascertain, NO astronauts have died during a spacewalk, so providing the training is followed, it seems a reasonably safe procedure.

On the other hand being a female police officer in the US is quite dangerous and some die in the line of duty every year, but the POTUS doesn't make a speech praising female police officers every time one goes out on patrol.

• Like 1