Sihanoukville,cambodia.

lucky55

Just wondering if anyone has been there recently,(also Kep sounds interesting).

Am going to Koh Chang soon......thinking of a peep at Cambodia.....any advice much appreciated.

P.S.My Ist post awhile ago was only asking for info on another topic.I recieved some brainless ramblings about me being a Troll.....if you Pa-Trollers have any infantile comments on THIS genuine and polite request ,which is directed at the intelligent members,keep them to yourself....literally,where the sun don't shine.

It's been three years since I've been there but I'd say it's definitely worth a visit! I lived and taught there for 6 months. It was a great place to visit, nice beach, cheap bungalows. Don't know how much has changed?

You can get a van from Trat to Koh Kong and then get the boat directly to S'noukville. Easy to arrange from Trat. I've been wanting to return for a visit but just haven't made it. There is alot more theiving in Cambodia so beware!

Good luck and have fun.

Am going to Koh Chang soon......thinking of a peep at Cambodia.....any advice much appreciated.

P.S.My Ist post awhile ago was only asking for info on another topic.I recieved some brainless ramblings about me being a Troll.....if you Pa-Trollers have any infantile comments on THIS genuine and polite request ,which is directed at the intelligent members,keep them to yourself....literally,where the sun don't shine.

Came back from Snookyville last week ,YES definately worth a visit ,sure you will enjoy. The touts are a menace but if you ignore them its ok.

As ngangu says ,take the ferry from Ko Khong dont take the bus, the road is terrible.

Cheers

Dom

Hey Ozzie where did you stay? I spent most of my time on Serendipity beach. I'm racking my brain trying to remember names of places! I remember Cloud 9 and Coasters bungalows and the popular bar on the beach, was it the Eden bar? How about the fruit girls?I knew them all well.Good kids when you get to know them. Did you get to the bakery & book store in town(can't remember the name) run by the Mlop Tapang group? Best bunch of expats I've met and great food! It's operated by local disabled folks but run by westerners.

I'd be very interested to know how things and prices have changed. If I remember Cloud 9 was about $10 and Coasters $15 for a bungalow. I stayed in a nice little hotel back off the beach a bit for $5 a night. Guess I'll just have to back! Fond memories!!

Hey Ozzie where did you stay? I spent most of my time on Serendipity beach. I'm racking my brain trying to remember names of places! I remember Cloud 9 and Coasters bungalows and the popular bar on the beach, was it the Eden bar? How about the fruit girls?I knew them all well.Good kids when you get to know them. Did you get to the bakery & book store in town(can't remember the name) run by the Mlop Tapang group? Best bunch of expats I've met and great food! It's operated by local disabled folks but run by westerners.

I'd be very interested to know how things and prices have changed. If I remember Cloud 9 was about $10 and Coasters $15 for a bungalow. I stayed in a nice little hotel back off the beach a bit for $5 a night. Guess I'll just have to back! Fond memories!!

Stayed at Ponleu Reas Thmey Hotel on Ochheuteal Beach,brand new ,very nice,$15 a night, only 5 min walk to Serendipity, Yep ,its a nice spot, am considering a move there,,agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly,great food,

Treasure Island Seafood,great, plate of barbied prawns,steamed fish and black mushroom,fried rice,couple of tinnies,all consumed in a cabana on the beach=200bt(and the waitress sat there and peeled my prawns) good stuff.

Came back from Snookyville last week ,YES definately worth a visit ,sure you will enjoy. The touts are a menace but if you ignore them its ok.

As ngangu says ,take the ferry from Ko Khong dont take the bus, the road is terrible.Cheers

Dom

But is it advisable to take the boat now that the rainy season is getting closer ? I took it in

December on a distinctly choppy sea ( going there was ok ) and 90 percent of people on board

were sick. does the ferry run all through the year ?

Think it depends on weather conditions prevailing

As ngangu says ,take the ferry from Ko Khong dont take the bus, the road is terrible.Cheers

Dom

But is it advisable to take the boat now that the rainy season is getting closer ? I took it in

December on a distinctly choppy sea ( going there was ok ) and 90 percent of people on board

were sick. does the ferry run all through the year ?

Think it depends on weather conditions prevailing, the road will definately be impassable once the rain starts,huge amounts of excavating on the mountains ,its a real mess, read somewhere that the road and bridgeworks would be complete this year,2012 might be closer ,the bridge pylons are not even up yet.

I have been there in february. To be quite honest i was not so impressed. No bungalows on the beach in sihanoukville, all behind the costal street. beach is nice though. the tuk tuk drivers are a pain in..... Excellent seafood, though.

regards

Timo

The rain didn't start when I was there till May, and they said that was early. March and April were almost unbearably hot! Definitely miss Sonkran and any other holidays as busloads arrive from PP and it's nuts! When it rains, it rains! Never seen anything like it and I've been around the tropics a bit. Had to clear the coconuts and boulders out of the road after so you could drive.

I took the boat in June and it was a bit choppy but nobody sick. Always a crapshoot?

For me it was a great place to visit but not longterm. After 7months the stealing and killing and oppression of Kmer society got to me. There are also many lovely people there for sure and I miss many things about it.

Good luck!

a little warning about sihanookville, just had 2 freinds come back this morning, while a motorbike is only $3-$4 to rent per day, the governor has just introduced a new law that you need a cambodian liscence and if stopped by the police and you don't have one $100 fine. International liscences are not accepted and this rule is only applied in sihanookville, maybe something to do with the governer building a new house which is apparantly the going to be the biggest one there. Anyway be advised, not a good idea to rent a motorbike (unless you have a cambodian liscence)

BB

The rain didn't start when I was there till May, and they said that was early. March and April were almost unbearably hot! Definitely miss Sonkran and any other holidays as busloads arrive from PP and it's nuts! When it rains, it rains! Never seen anything like it and I've been around the tropics a bit. Had to clear the coconuts and boulders out of the road after so you could drive.

I took the boat in June and it was a bit choppy but nobody sick. Always a crapshoot?

For me it was a great place to visit but not longterm. After 7months the stealing and killing and oppression of Kmer society got to me. There are also many lovely people there for sure and I miss many things about it.

Good luck!

And you returned to Thailand where there is no stealing ,killing or oppression of minority groups MMMMM I suppose the merits of any destination is in the eyes of the beholder and everybody looks through a different set of eyes.

I agree Ozzy that we all see things differently and that can be a result of our own behavior or simply timing among many other influences.

And of course Thailand has all those things to offer also. Though the only time I've been ripped off in Thai was a hat taken from my bicycle in Chiang Rai, and I suspected another tourist. In S'noukville I had people climbing the 8 ft wall around my house to steal the shoes at the doorstep. You didn't dare leave your helmet on your motorbike for even a quickie into a shop. There was a tourist woman raped by a policeman and another robbed and stabbed on the beach, I could go on and on. A sharp contrast to my experience in Thailand. After seven months there, Thailand felt like stepping back into the civilized world! That was three years ago and without that contrast I'm not feeling so rosy about Thailand anymore. I'm craving fresh air and quiet!

I was stopped twice on my rented moto by police and hit up for cash. I acted stupid, like I didn't understand them and kept saying "not mine, resort". They waved me on after a short while.

You mean recent posts about Sihanookville being a paradise where you walk on rose petals and angels sing you to sleep have been exaggerated? :o

:D:D

You have to consider the source of those posts, cdnvic.

Does anyone remember the 1980s acronym FILTH? Failed in London, Try Hongkong.

Perhaps we could redub it FITTC for this decade . . . . . go figure . . . .

a little warning about sihanookville, just had 2 freinds come back this morning, while a motorbike is only $3-$4 to rent per day, the governor has just introduced a new law that you need a cambodian liscence and if stopped by the police and you don't have one $100 fine. International liscences are not accepted and this rule is only applied in sihanookville, maybe something to do with the governer building a new house which is apparantly the going to be the biggest one there. Anyway be advised, not a good idea to rent a motorbike (unless you have a cambodian liscence)

BB

Get your facts right buriramboy,a Cambodian license is required to ride or drive anywhere in Cambodia and has been for some time, it pays to check these little things out when contemplating visits to other countries.

And what do you about the source bendix?

Is that all your life has to offer, elitist jabs at people you don't know?

Sad isn't it.

Dont let him get to you ngangu,there are smart <deleted> on every forum and come to think of it one in every bar, They are usually the one sitting alone in the corner because ordinary folk shun them.