Documents to renew UK Passport in Bangkok

1652340833_Screenshot2019-10-2510_59_11.png.caa113bb4151df71bc78d026be724edf.png

Hi I need to go to Bangkok in the next few months to renew my UK passport, as it is almost full.

I need one of the list of documents above, but not sure what is acceptable or indeed the easiest, as the majority do not apply to me.

Never worked here, never went to school, can't vote etc.

Is the first one on the list just a copy of my latest extension of stay stamp in my passport?

If not, what is the easiest alternative?

Isn't your valid UK passport proof already, that list seems to me for a new applicant that does not have a passport.  I am from USA and all I ever needed to renew a passport was my then current one.

Edited by shen923
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will accept about anything to prove that you are living here.

Your extension of stay stamp should be enough.

Thanks. I have several ID but not in English so am hoping to avoid having anything translated. I have a Thai driving licence, bank book, and rental agrement but they are all in Thai. Pretty sure the extension should suffice.

1 minute ago, shen923 said:

Isn't your valid UK passport proof already, that list seems to me for a new applicant that does not have a passport.  I am from USA and all I ever needed to renew a passport was my then current one.

According to the UK website it is your current passport plus one from the list.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They will accept about anything to prove that you are living here.

Your extension of stay stamp should be enough.

So Your'e Current Passport with a Non-Imm " O " Visa based on Marriage Should " DO It " ??....Yellow Book ?? Thai Driving Licence ??

5 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

So Your'e Current Passport with a Non-Imm " O " Visa based on Marriage Should " DO It " ??....Yellow Book ?? Thai Driving Licence ??

Remember, anything in Thai needs translating.

If someone is struggling for an address document get the wife/GF to copy her ID card/passport and write “I confirm that Mr Joe Bloggs lives with me at the following address”..... get her to sign it.

A brief covering note from the applicant to say that this is all that is available and away you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Remember, anything in Thai needs translating.

If someone is struggling for an address document get the wife/GF to copy her ID card/passport and write “I confirm that Mr Joe Bloggs lives with me at the following address”..... get her to sign it.

A brief covering note from the applicant to say that this is all that is available and away you go.

When I renewed my UK passport earlier this year I used my Thai driving licence as my proof of address.

I did not have to translate it at all as my driving licence has my address in both English and Thai.

So along with my UK passport with extension of stay based on retirement stamp and the driving licence and form filled out was all I needed.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mlkik said:

When I renewed my UK passport earlier this year I used my Thai driving licence as my proof of address.

I did not have to translate it at all as my driving licence has my address in both English and Thai.

So along with my UK passport with extension of stay based on retirement stamp and the driving licence and form filled out was all I needed.

That’s great to know thank you!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I had the same problem regarding proof of address, so I wrote to UK HMRC asking to confirm my address as the post code had been missing on recent letter (not true) they wrote back .... job done.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I need proof of Thai residence, not my UK address. Needed for renewing UK passport while not in the UK. Thanks

I need proof of Thai residence, not my UK address. Needed for renewing UK passport while not in the UK. Thanks
I'm based in Thailand so HMRC show my Thai address, the passport office would accept a yellow house book, but it needs to be translated and certified by the MFA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Saltire said:

Thanks. I have several ID but not in English so am hoping to avoid having anything translated. I have a Thai driving licence, bank book, and rental agrement but they are all in Thai. Pretty sure the extension should suffice.

You have bills sent to your address in Thailand , anything sent from England with your address on it ?

I did it myself a while back, as always it seems harder than it is. Take a few different things. I took both the above and something else, most was given back to me. 

7 minutes ago, berybert said:

You have bills sent to your address in Thailand , anything sent from England with your address on it ?

I did it myself a while back, as always it seems harder than it is. Take a few different things. I took both the above and something else, most was given back to me. 

Be careful about things “being given back” to you. It is not VfS’s role to approve, or otherwise, the nature of the address verification. They will usually just ask “is that what you want to send”.

The decision regarding what is acceptable is made by HMPO in Liverpool. Thankfully, as UbonJoe mentioned earlier, they are not too fussy. If in doubt do what I did and email them beforehand to check acceptability....... I have it in Black & White from them that a wife/partners signed declaration is acceptable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, berybert said:

Thanks, yes the last time I needed a residence certificate at the British Embassy they took an Amazon invoice for stuff sent to me to my Thai address. I will take everything I can lay my hands on.

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Thanks, yes the last time I needed a residence certificate at the British Embassy they took an Amazon invoice for stuff sent to me to my Thai address. I will take everything I can lay my hands on.

You don’t actually need everything you can lay your hands. HMPO only require one piece of evidence for address verification.

You may find that VfS do indeed hand back surplus papers if one item clearly serves the purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I will take a copy of my extension of stay and Thai drivers licence as well as anything I can find with my address on. I have Amazon and other mail order invoices etc. I should be fine but you just never know.

Just now, Saltire said:

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I will take a copy of my extension of stay and Thai drivers licence as well as anything I can find with my address on. I have Amazon and other mail order invoices etc. I should be fine but you just never know.

In this world of obstacles it is sometimes hard to accept that HMPO have a very relaxed approach to this - they are not trying to catch anybody out; if you present almost anything with your name and address on you are home and dry.

• Like 2

I just used a credit card bill statement. If you give them the orig you don't need a notorized copy. They asked if I wanted the statement returning or should they destroy it in the UK.

Edited by MRToMRT

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

In this world of obstacles it is sometimes hard to accept that HMPO have a very relaxed approach to this - they are not trying to catch anybody out; if you present almost anything with your name and address on you are home and dry.

Good to know thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I just used a credit card bill statement. If you give them the orig you don't need a notorized copy. They asked if I wanted the statement returning or should they destroy it in the UK.

Nothing needs notarizing, copies will suffice. “They” are only the handling agents.