The Best-ever Thai Scam

wamberal

Reading the threads about the Subway, and other, scams in Thailand brought back some beautiful memories.

Some years ago I was working on a project in Bangkok during the course of which I had to fly backwards and forwards to Sydney a few times. The project team flew together, business class, on Thai Inter.

I had just started enjoying a Grand Marnier with coffee after dinner, and noticed that they had Grand Marnier on the drinks trolley. So I ordered one. Hmmmm. Bit strange. Maybe something wrong with my tastebuds.

Next flight, same thing. This time, I ordered a second, and asked one of the other guys to taste it. Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't Grand Marnier.

I wrote a letter of complaint, and got a letter back telling me that there had been some problems uncovered with in-flight catering as a result of my letter, and thank you very much.

The cabin crews had been serving some sort of substitute hooch and keeping the real stuff, apparently, not just for the Grand Marnier, but for other expensive liquor as well.

There used to be little shops where you could buy Chivas Regal bottles filled with Mekhong, or something similar, to take to restaurants to maintain your face, so I suppose it all fits together in Thai culture.