Simple Transferwise immigration question

18 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Wouldn't it be so much better if all Thai banks used the same codes for the same transactions.

Out of interest, do banks in other countries have their own different and individual codes or do all banks in a particular country use the same codes?

In answer to your first para: It certainly would!

And to the second: Sorry I don't know. Perhaps @PJPom can answer that.

Have a good one.

Sorry but I can’t be of any further help, as you see from the date of oxmermaids post this was the time of the big panic as the Embassy letters were running out. Pages of posts were appearing but very few were actually saying anything of importance, TransferWise were copping heaps and Predictions of gloom abounded.

The finding of the code explanation was a quick answer to my problem and I posted it at the time but the thread went on for another hundred or so posts with no comments so I left it at that.

31 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

In answer to your first para: It certainly would!

And to the second: Sorry I don't know. Perhaps @PJPom can answer that.

Have a good one.

I am lucky that my Immigration Office is smaller and seems to be staffed by reasonable and competent people, it makes life so much easier.

Edited by PJPom
Spelling

25 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I am lucky that my Immigration Office is smaller and seems to be staffed by reasonable and competent people, it makes life so much easier.

You are fortunate, quite a few small offices ask for some quite strange variations from the norm too. I do hear that the Immigration staff at your airport are not so easy going. 

Edited by jacko45k

27 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Sorry but I can’t be of any further help, as you see from the date of oxmermaids post this was the time of the big panic as the Embassy letters were running out. Pages of posts were appearing but very few were actually saying anything of importance, TransferWise were copping heaps and Predictions of gloom abounded.

The finding of the code explanation was a quick answer to my problem and I posted it at the time but the thread went on for another hundred or so posts with no comments so I left it at that.

Apologies not needed! This one post of yours could prove to be very useful and I'm going to tag it. I missed the post you mentioned from @oxmermaid. It must have got buried amongst the mountain of gobbledy gook that was going around at the time.

I had noticed the unique code in Krungsri way back but hadn't thought about using it at the time, being convinced that my own plan would work, which it did. Like you we have a small, friendly and very helpful Immigration office.

I will be visiting my own bank branch soon to get some confirmation regarding these codes. Like you say, there's been a lot of gloom and doom around on this topic and I really would like to dispel it for everyone's sake.

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You are fortunate, quite a few small offices ask for some quite strange variations from the norm too. I do hear that the Immigration staff at your airport are not so easy going. 

You are very right, before I organised my non O the trip to KL or Penang seemed to be severely frowned upon.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, Exploring Thailand said:

I can't direct you to the post, but a few weeks ago somebody posted that they had been able to get a letter from the bank confirming that it was an international transfer, even though it was marked as internal in the bank book. There was also a recent post in which someone had had copies of the TransferWise receipt accepted as proof. Personally, I'd think the former method would be more reliable than the latter.

this link ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1114909-transactions-transferwise-make-it-right/

2 August from Mr Roger lorton regarding Fet letter from bangkok bank

On 11/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Moonlover said:

The latter was probably me. I used the T/W transaction slips which were accepted. I haven't heard of anyone obtaining a letter from the bank to confirm the deposits are international. I did ask but it was not possible through Krungsri.

It may be possible if the issuing account and the receiving account are in the same bank, but I cannot confirm that.

Bangkok Bank issues bank letters/statements showing where the money comes from. At least branches in Pattaya do. 

You can get a 6 month printout stamped by your Bank Branch, but you need a 12 month statement.

Bangkok Bank will give you a 12 month Deposit Statement for a couple hundred Baht, which will show your International deposits with the Total. 

You have to order it from BB Hq, and takes about 7-10 days to receive at your branch.

You also need Bank Account Confirmation Letter, Showing your name linked to the Bank Book account number,

this should be done same day as your visit to IO, also make a transaction just prior to making the letter to show link between the letter and your account,

dated same day.

Edited by WhatupThailand

1 hour ago, wilkis333 said:

this link ?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1114909-transactions-transferwise-make-it-right/

2 August from Mr Roger lorton regarding Fet letter from bangkok bank

That's a helpful link, but I think the one I was thinking of was a post by John Terry. See post number 14 in this thread.

1 hour ago, WhatupThailand said:

You can get a 6 month printout stamped by your Bank Branch, but you need a 12 month statement.

Bangkok Bank will give you a 12 month Deposit Statement for a couple hundred Baht, which will show your International deposits with the Total. 

You have to order it from BB Hq, and takes about 7-10 days to receive at your branch.

You also need Bank Account Confirmation Letter, Showing your name linked to the Bank Book account number,

this should be done same day as your visit to IO, also make a transaction just prior to making the letter to show link between the letter and your account,

dated same day.

There are Bangkok Bank branches in Pattaya which issues 12 months statements without help from head office in BKK. 

23 hours ago, Jip99 said:

You too.

I will post the TW reply when I receive it.

The TW response simply repeats the reason requirements being solely for the Thai banking partner. I still think the long-term stay is an unnecessary addition if that reason isn’t available for other (immigration) purposes.

Thanks for your message. 
We need to ask you to enter your payment reason,as it is a requirement of our partner bank for all transfers made to Thailand in THB. 
This purpose of transfer is not displayed on the statement or on the transfer receipt, it is simply information that our partner bank asks for in order to process the payments. 

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:
On 11/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Moonlover said:

The latter was probably me. I used the T/W transaction slips which were accepted. I haven't heard of anyone obtaining a letter from the bank to confirm the deposits are international. I did ask but it was not possible through Krungsri.

It may be possible if the issuing account and the receiving account are in the same bank, but I cannot confirm that.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Bangkok Bank issues bank letters/statements showing where the money comes from. At least branches in Pattaya do. 

The general trend seems to be that the banks are able to cooperate on this. I quizzed Krungrsi on this yesterday and after some time on the phone to HQ, they established that it is actually possible for them do so.

But it's a bit messy because the request goes from branch to HQ who then have to contact the issuing local bank that paid out the funds from TransferWise. And it will cost!

So I've decided to dump that idea and stick with method I used this year, as outlined in post #7 of this topic. It worked, so why chase down another method. However I am refining it for next year by consolidating my 3 pension payments into 1 via T/W and minimizing the activity on the receiving account. That way I can reduce the mountain of paper somewhat.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The general trend seems to be that the banks are able to cooperate on this. I quizzed Krungrsi on this yesterday and after some time on the phone to HQ, they established that it is actually possible for them do so.

But it's a bit messy because the request goes from branch to HQ who then have to contact the issuing local bank that paid out the funds from TransferWise. And it will cost!

So I've decided to dump that idea and stick with method I used this year, as outlined in post #7 of this topic. It worked, so why chase down another method. However I am refining it for next year by consolidating my 3 pension payments into 1 via T/W and minimizing the activity on the receiving account. That way I can reduce the mountain of paper somewhat.

Bangkok Banks Jomtien branch  came up with a 12 months statement almost immediately and Immigration approved it. They don't have to go through HQ in BKK when issuing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Bangkok Banks Jomtien branch  came up with a 12 months statement almost immediately and Immigration approved it. They don't have to go through HQ in BKK when issuing it. 

Thanks for that but could you elaborate If it had the correct code FFT and was there a cost for giving you the statements?