Best international health insurance for Canadians?

timoti

Hi,

So I normally work in Singapore but via contract so I am not employed all year, and also my company insurance is terrible that they won't pay for anything more than a few 1000s.

I want to have global health insurance coverage (excluding USA). I spent a lot of time researching and saw some threads from here also.

Which ones would you recommend? So far I narrowed it down to April and Cigna (both of which were used by my colleagues). I am 35 years old and I have some doubts about the coverages of these.

For example do these or other international health insurance cover anywhere in the world (except USA)? Because I saw April International mention Asia and both April and Cigna mention things about moving out of country, notices, and ability to port the plan. I don't understand this. Isn't this international, meaning I could received treatment anywhere in the area of coverage without letting them know where I will be going?

I would appreciate any insights on this.

Thanks in advance ????

Are you aware that April have both a "local" SEA policy and a fully "International" policy?

Not aware that Cigna have a specific Asian operation but under their International plans you can buy more "localised" cover - https://www.cignaglobal.com/international-medical-insurance

On 11/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, timoti said:

For example do these or other international health insurance cover anywhere in the world (except USA)?

From that link above you can see that they offer various cover levels excluding the USA.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, timoti said:

I don't understand this. Isn't this international, meaning I could received treatment anywhere in the area of coverage without letting them know where I will be going?

Your premium is liable to be based on where you are living/resident and depending on cover your country of citizenship. They offer coverage normally for so many days a year if you need it when on a trip somewhere but if you move permanently of course you have to tell them. They also will have rules about "elective" treatments if you want to go and be fixed up somewhere else......

All of this will be covered in their Ts and Cs which you should be able to find on their sites.

Why don't you contact the insurers direct and ask them - then you will have emails backing up the answers they give you as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks I am trying to get info from them, but it's a bit confusing particularly April. I want to buy their international health plan when I am residing in Thailand, but I dont want to buy their local Thai plan, as I read here it wasn't governed by the same rules of their HQ.

Also do I need to have work to show that I am residing in a certain country like Thailand? Can't I just choose their as my place of residence if I am living there for a while on tourist visas?

Any ideas?

Archived